Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm currently studying Civil engineering, as a first year student. However I've realised this isn't the route I want to be going in, as I am not great at Physics (Mechanics - Statics), and would prefer to study Mathematics as I hope to get into Machine Learning after Uni.

Is it possible to transfer, in the same Uni or a different one, to second year of Mathematics as I don't want to restart University since I've already taken a gap year. Mind you, I am in Scotland so Uni is 4 years over here and second year for us still wouldn't count towards our degree. But since we are doing Maths for Engineers and Scientists in both semesters, would that be enough to change to a Mathematics degree?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by BasedPerson)
    Hey, I'm currently studying Civil engineering, as a first year student. However I've realised this isn't the route I want to be going in, as I am not great at Physics (Mechanics - Statics), and would prefer to study Mathematics as I hope to get into Machine Learning after Uni.

Is it possible to transfer, in the same Uni or a different one, to second year of Mathematics as I don't want to restart University since I've already taken a gap year. Mind you, I am in Scotland so Uni is 4 years over here and second year for us still wouldn't count towards our degree. But since we are doing Maths for Engineers and Scientists in both semesters, would that be enough to change to a Mathematics degree?
    You will have to ask unis. In England you may struggle as the content may not be the same but if you are studying similar things it may be possible. Speak to your tutor first and then to unis you're interested in and go from there.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by BasedPerson)

Hi

alleycat393 has offered some great advice. I would also advise that you contact the universities that you are interested in directly. You would need to complete and pass your first year at your current university and also the components of your current course would need to match the components of the course you're wanting to transfer to.

Hope this helps

Ruth

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.