Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Sorry if I give some unnecessary information, I'm not sure exactly what is and isn't relevant)

I have a 2:1 (64) degree from a pretty meh university. Teesside, to be precise. I got really similar grades in all of my assignments, so my transcript doesn't show me improving over the years. I got 62-65 for most of my assignments.

I also graduated about 5 years ago and in that time I've had pretty average jobs. I was working in Psychology, but basically 3 different entry-level positions the entire time because I wasn't passionate about it. I kept thinking about changing, but I thought it was too late. I had some depression during that time and I found it hard to motivate myself to improve. I found a Masters that I'm really interested in at SOAS: The Linguistics with Intensive Korean course. I want to change career paths and I'm very passionate about it. My (somewhat of a pipe-dream) aim is to work for Liberty in North Korea, because I really feel for the people there. I know that some Masters courses are really competitive and that reduces someone's chances of getting in if they don't have really good experience/grades. Does anyone know if this course is particularly competitive?

I don't have any relevant work experience to put in my personal statement, which is a worry. The only relevant things I can think of to mention that have anything slightly to do with Linguistics or Korean are: I can speak Afrikaans and French and used a tutoring website to tutor an adult in Afrikaans for about 2 months. I volunteered for LiNK by creating a fundraising page on their website (anyone can do this) and raising quite a lot of money by doing a sponsored skydive. I completed a 13-week Korean course at another university. I also hired a private Korean tutor and have been seeing her once a week for 3 months. The jobs I did after I finished university were all to do with mentoring those with learning difficulties within schools and universities. I'm not sure if this could really be spun in any sort of useful way on the PS.

Another thing is, because of how long ago I graduated, I don't really have any connections at Teesside anymore and might have a hard time getting academic references. I think I could do it, but they won't remember me very well. My professional references aren't very compelling, because I don't have to do anything particularly academic like writing reports at work.

Would it be worth putting off my application so I can try to gain some kind of relevant experience for a few months? I don't even know what experience I could get, without any current qualifications in the field. I'm just not sure how to prove how dedicated to this career change I am. I really don't want to work in Psychology anymore, but I'm worried that I won't be accepted onto a Masters course for something different due to lack of experience.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I might improve my chances?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I think your chances are good for getting accepted to the programme as you meet the minimum academic entry requirement. Also, you have shown an interest and dedication to learning Korean by taking classes and extra lessons which will look good in your personal statement.

With regards to your references it should be fine if you provide two professional ones only. They don't have to relate to writing reports but are used instead as confirmation that you have the ability to complete a postgraduate degree, and are therefore more character focused.

Also, it's not important to have relevant work experience so please don't worry about trying to get some now. It might also be worth you getting in touch with the programme convenor Dr Owen Miller to discuss your future plans and any concerns you may still have.

Thanks,

Darryl

(Original post by lasthomelyhouse)
    (Sorry if I give some unnecessary information, I'm not sure exactly what is and isn't relevant)

I have a 2:1 (64) degree from a pretty meh university. Teesside, to be precise. I got really similar grades in all of my assignments, so my transcript doesn't show me improving over the years. I got 62-65 for most of my assignments.

I also graduated about 5 years ago and in that time I've had pretty average jobs. I was working in Psychology, but basically 3 different entry-level positions the entire time because I wasn't passionate about it. I kept thinking about changing, but I thought it was too late. I had some depression during that time and I found it hard to motivate myself to improve. I found a Masters that I'm really interested in at SOAS: The Linguistics with Intensive Korean course. I want to change career paths and I'm very passionate about it. My (somewhat of a pipe-dream) aim is to work for Liberty in North Korea, because I really feel for the people there. I know that some Masters courses are really competitive and that reduces someone's chances of getting in if they don't have really good experience/grades. Does anyone know if this course is particularly competitive?

I don't have any relevant work experience to put in my personal statement, which is a worry. The only relevant things I can think of to mention that have anything slightly to do with Linguistics or Korean are: I can speak Afrikaans and French and used a tutoring website to tutor an adult in Afrikaans for about 2 months. I volunteered for LiNK by creating a fundraising page on their website (anyone can do this) and raising quite a lot of money by doing a sponsored skydive. I completed a 13-week Korean course at another university. I also hired a private Korean tutor and have been seeing her once a week for 3 months. The jobs I did after I finished university were all to do with mentoring those with learning difficulties within schools and universities. I'm not sure if this could really be spun in any sort of useful way on the PS.

Another thing is, because of how long ago I graduated, I don't really have any connections at Teesside anymore and might have a hard time getting academic references. I think I could do it, but they won't remember me very well. My professional references aren't very compelling, because I don't have to do anything particularly academic like writing reports at work.

Would it be worth putting off my application so I can try to gain some kind of relevant experience for a few months? I don't even know what experience I could get, without any current qualifications in the field. I'm just not sure how to prove how dedicated to this career change I am. I really don't want to work in Psychology anymore, but I'm worried that I won't be accepted onto a Masters course for something different due to lack of experience.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I might improve my chances?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.