Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, i'm a classic example of messing around in school despite having potential and now not really being anywhere because of it except working full time.

I tried college twice in consecutive years after leaving school in '13 but both courses just didn't interest me, which is kind of my fault but also due to parent pressure to do something that's 'useful', so i took Business year 1 of college and passed the first year but struggled with focusing on it due to being uninterested, the second year i wanted to try do my childhood dream job of learning to become a paramedic through Health Science, however i had to do an access course in science before i could do the course, which essentially felt repeated from my last couple years in secondary school, therefore i lost interest but this time i left the course after a few months.

After spending most of my GCSE years and a couple of post Secondary school years figuring out what i want in life, I came to the conclusion that i should pursue Languages, in school, French was one of the few subjects which interested me, and also because of potential levels in school French was a compulsory subject in my timetable. Also for about a year i have been mixing with a few different languages such as Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Lithuanian and Swedish, (to which i was getting pretty good at Swedish after a month or so). Mostly self taught via Babbel, and small chats at work with native speakers (Portuguese,Italian and Lithuanian).

Now the situation stands at trying to get back into the educational setup to go full time, and hopefully Uni. However my best way would be via french as despite not speaking a word for almost 3 years or so, feel as if i can re jog my memory and become back into the groove again, due to being an idiot in school, my French results Varied between D/E at for the first year and a bit, to sudden A* and A's to the end, but was too late, I think i came out with a D, at a push a C, but im not 100%, I need to find out.

In summary, how can i get back into Learning again, with a view to gaining UCAS points to go to Uni?

Sorry for the ramble, but a little backstory never hurts right?

Thanks,
    Connor

ReputationRep:
    You can do distance learning GCSE and A level languages.
    https://www.oxfordhomeschooling.co.uk/

There are some language qualifications that are internationally recognised. I'm interested in pursuing the Russian State TRKI (Test of Russian as a Foreign Language)

ReputationRep:
    If you're interested in university firstly you'll have to check what you've got and check what unis will accept in terms of qualification.

With only having a D or C at GCSE to go to uni you might have to start over again, though the progression would be very fast I'd imagine.

You could study 2 or even 3 languages at uni. I'd highly recommend it being a language graduate in French. I only wish I'd taken on another language but I didn't since at the time I didn't know which language to take.

Your year abroad can be great though an open you up to experiences across the world and you could end up working abroad after uni too.

You could also consider trying to find some work experience/an internship in France too at some point too.

I don't know how you can work out the UCAS points, sorry, it is way beyond me now!

I know France pretty well and if you're interested in languages perhaps if UCAS is a problem you might be able to go to a French uni to study for example Spanish and Italian (or whatever languages you like) if you get your french level a bit better first. French unis generally seem to have a very open door policy (French students at least don't need good grades to get into uni).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rossagle)
    If you're interested in university firstly you'll have to check what you've got and check what unis will accept in terms of qualification.

With only having a D or C at GCSE to go to uni you might have to start over again, though the progression would be very fast I'd imagine.

You could study 2 or even 3 languages at uni. I'd highly recommend it being a language graduate in French. I only wish I'd taken on another language but I didn't since at the time I didn't know which language to take.

Your year abroad can be great though an open you up to experiences across the world and you could end up working abroad after uni too.

You could also consider trying to find some work experience/an internship in France too at some point too.

I don't know how you can work out the UCAS points, sorry, it is way beyond me now!

I know France pretty well and if you're interested in languages perhaps if UCAS is a problem you might be able to go to a French uni to study for example Spanish and Italian (or whatever languages you like) if you get your french level a bit better first. French unis generally seem to have a very open door policy (French students at least don't need good grades to get into uni).
    Definitely looking to do a couple of languages, and i also half expect to have to start from scratch, its a matter of finding somewhere which is convenient in terms of support and ideally not online

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.