Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should work experience be compulsory at school? Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    https://www.tes.com/news/school-news...siness-leaders

An overwhelming majority of business leaders want work experience to be made compulsory in schools again, according to a survey released last week.

However, 1,000 parents with children aged 14-18, who were also surveyed for the research, were less enthusiastic about a return to compulsory work experience, with less than half (48 per cent) supporting such a move.

It occurred to me from reading this, that nobody asked the students. So here we are. Would you like to see work experience as part of your compulsory education? If you did work experience at school, did you find it beneficial? If you didn't do work experience at school, would you have liked that opportunity?

Lots of people see the fundamental purpose of education as being to prepare us for work in the future, this clearly goes against that sentiment.

ReputationRep:
    The work experience that secondary school students get to spend a week doing is a complete farce from both the students and the employers perspectives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran90)
    The work experience that secondary school students get to spend a week doing is a complete farce from both the students and the employers perspectives.
    I never did the work experience when it was my go but from what I heard it sounds like a waste of time in some regards. One week doesn't sound like enough to be worth the effort of finding a place and you are hardly likely to learn much.

ReputationRep:
    While some experiences of work experience may be time-wasting, I believe it should be a compulsory part of the curriculum. My school has stopped allocating work placements which is just beyond me. Like the original post mentions, one purpose of education is to prepare us for the world of work. How are we supposed to have the necessary skills for working if we're not provided with the opportunities to learn and pick them up? While I accept responsibility for my own actions and the need to look for part-time jobs independently, I still believe work experience is beneficial in theory and should be provided to all pupils aged between 14 and 18. If my school did work experience, I would be willing to accept a placement in a heartbeat. While placements may not be in one's desired field, it's good to have some sort of experience of working. Work experience is also good for those students who are not autonomously looking for part-time employment due to a desire to spend more time on their studies.

ReputationRep:
    Well it was at my school and majority found it beneficial having part time jobs as a result and actually learning more about interviews and being used to a working environment. It helps to put SOMETHING on your CV when applying and talk about at interviews.

Not everyone was happy with their work experience, but thats life and they had the option of finding a place where they want to do the work experience if they didn't want one allocated by the school.

ReputationRep:
    i would because my school no longer offers it and i feel like i’m missing out as a lot of schools nearby do :/
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    yes
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I did work experience in year 10 and I don't really think the school knew what it was doing... There was an entire week for work experience the whole year had to do. If you couldn't find a placement for yourself you had to do one at the school :puke:

but I ended up choosing mine rather randomly after a few places I applied to rejected me for being too young :emo:
    At this point I had no idea what career I wanted to do, I was very much split between english/geography/languages and science (chemistry/physics). So my work experience was in no way relevant to what I am thinking of doing now.

However, the experience has been valuable, more in a sense of opening one's mind (or something cliche like that) and it was a very enjoyable week. So :dontknow:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiahDawson)
    Not everyone was happy with their work experience, but thats life and they had the option of finding a place where they want to do the work experience if they didn't want one allocated by the school.
    Why weren't they happy?:beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Why weren't they happy?:beard:
    Well, for example my friend initially got to work at a charity bike repair place where they send off bikes to Africa she didn't really see how that would be useful or what she would do and wanted to change it, but she tried it and got to take apart bikes, and repair them and actually really enjoyed it, got a free bike and went on to do mechanical engineering. Even though she didn't intend to make a job out of it some of the skills were useful and not a waste of time since it was only a week.

Another worked at a coffee shop, didn't like it since she was shy, and had to interact with customers. Now she's a waitress so getting that experience did help her.

Other reaons people didnt like it are: because you don't get paid for it, had to make coffee, not used to working.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran90)
    Would you scrap it? Or would you reform it?:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Would you scrap it? Or would you reform it?:holmes:
    Good question. More often than not the only options available through schools are retail or office work unless the student makes their own arrangements. Health and safety are limiting what can be offered nowadays.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.