Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    I think that is indeed an important factor
    I think it’s a lot to do with how well you want to achieve/perform rather than what your DoS/supervisors told you to do as well.....
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    I think it’s a lot to do with how well you want to achieve/perform rather than what your DoS/supervisors told you to do as well.....
    Of course, but there's enough "pressure" to do well without adding to it unnecessarily. Striving for 95%+ all the time, as many of these students would be used to doing at A-level, simply isn't needed.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, but there's enough "pressure" to do well without adding to it unnecessarily. Striving for 95%+ all the time, as many of these students would be used to doing at A-level, simply isn't needed.
    I think most of students at Cambridge know very well they’re in a completely different world from their A-level days when achieving 95%+ was not a miracle....lol
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I think most of students at Cambridge know very well they’re in a completely different world from their A-level days when achieving 95%+ was not a miracle....lol
    Perhaps not some freshers...

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps not some freshers...
    Freshers become non-freshers very soon, and they all learn soon enough it’s a different world from the old one they used to know.
    It’s not like you’re deprived of sleep only when you’re a fresher, but It’s a long slog of 3/4 years, and that’s what we’re talking about, isn’t it, not a brief period when they’re innocent freshers.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Freshers become non-freshers very soon, and they all learn soon enough it’s a different world from the old one they used to know.
    It’s not like you’re deprived of sleep only when you’re a fresher, but It’s a long slog of 3/4 years, and that’s what we’re talking about, isn’t it, not a brief period when they’re innocent freshers.
    Yup, and the OP is 5/6 weeks into 72+ weeks of it. They need to try a steady jog (i.e. slog), and not push themselves to constantly sprint.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, and the OP is 5/6 weeks into 72+ weeks of it. They need to try a steady jog (i.e. slog), and not push themselves to constantly sprint.
    It’d probably depend on how you define ‘a jog.’ For most people I know, sleeping only 5/6 hrs most of the time (except for one of weekend days, perhaps, when they sleep,like a log) was their jogging, not sprint.
    But if one has to work until 4 am all the time, like someone mentioned, that’s an excess.....or lack of time-management skill.

ReputationRep:
    But if one has to work until 4 am all the time, like someone mentioned, that’s an excess.....or lack of time-management skill.
    Yeah I think more the latter in general. I wasn't exactly a model of prudent time management and efficiency, but in retrospect I think if you treated it as a full time job and actually worked productively throughout normal kinds of working hours you could easily get away with taking your Sundays and would very rarely need to work late at night. There's definitely no general academic requirement to be sleep-deprived. Of course if you've taken on loads of sports and society commitments and you're hungover every day that might change things a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Yeah I think more the latter in general. I wasn't exactly a model of prudent time management and efficiency, but in retrospect I think if you treated it as a full time job and actually worked productively throughout normal kinds of working hours you could easily get away with taking your Sundays and would very rarely need to work late at night. There's definitely no general academic requirement to be sleep-deprived. Of course if you've taken on loads of sports and society commitments and you're hungover every day that might change things a bit.
    No need to do loads of sports. Just choose rowing and your entire timetable is set to start at dawn............

Joking aside (or is it? ), yes, you have to consider a life at Cambridge is a full time job and plan your days accordingly. ....... though my daughter who is on a real full time job and works 11/12 hrs very regularly and sometimes even longer thinks her life now is her life now is much easier than that of Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    I’m in my first term at Cambridge and I have honestly done nothing but work since getting here (didn’t even have a proper fresher’s week as I got an essay on my first day and lectures stared a few days after arriving).

I am in the unusual position of having finished my essay which is due in tomorrow and all my other work. I have no lectures or classes at all today... So, I could technically do no work at all. But, I feel guilty just thinking about it. There’s always another book to read and I have a reading list several miles long.

Would it be ok to take the day off?
    Silly question.

You’re in control of what you do. If you don’t have any work that needs doing, yes you can take a day off. What did you expect people to say “NO every day at Cambridge must consist of 10 hours of study no less!”

If you need the day off - Take it. x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by auburnstar)
      The last point's a fair one given the workload, but if someone needed 8-9hrs of sleep because of a chronic illness would they be able to survive in that environment and make adjustments or would it be unrealistic and not worth applying/taking up an offer?
      (Original post by Tian1Sky)
      I always get 8/9 hours, even during term time. It's worked so far for me. My attitude is that if you can't get your work done by 10pm, you're doing something wrong. I think the problems stem from poor time management, too many other activities, or the mistaken belief that you have to do every single thing your lecturers/supervisors tell you to do.
      I get 8-9 hours too, on average, even despite terrible time management. Then again, I don't go out clubbing, and am probably a disappointment to my supervisors.

It really isn't healthy to deprive yourself of sleep. And besides, you work much more efficiently when you are fully rested.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by auburnstar)
      The last point's a fair one given the workload, but if someone needed 8-9hrs of sleep because of a chronic illness would they be able to survive in that environment and make adjustments or would it be unrealistic and not worth applying/taking up an offer?
      A friend of mine has such an illness and graduated from Cambridge with a high grade last year

It's honestly fine, if you're working past 9pm every night consistently then the fault is with your time management and efficiency rather than with Cambridge (unless you're one of those nocturnal mavericks who work better at night). Occasionally I find myself working "late" (definitions vary, I class "late" as 10pm lol), but certainly not often.

I think it’d really depend on how efficiently you can work during a day.
      I don’t personally know anyone who were able to get 8-9 hr sleep regularly when they were at Cambridge.
      I know my daughter and many of her friends’ usual sleeping hours there was something around 5/6 hrs or so at most and sometimes even less, so was my niece’s, which is considerably shorter than when they’re at home.
      I got up at 11 the last couple of mornings (ok this is probably also unhealthy, would recommend not doing this regularly either)

Plenty of people get healthy sleep at Cambridge. It's a total myth that we're all sleep-deprived vampires!

ReputationRep:
      How many hours a day should cambridge students be working on average?
      Also, do most people take a full day off during the week? I feel as though I don't work enough ...

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.