Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boys should be free to wear tutus and tiaras, says Church of England Watch

• TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The Church of England have stated in new guidance to schools that "Boys should be free to choose to wear a tutu, tiara or heels, and girls to wear toolbelts and superhero capes". The guidance has been shared to help prevent bullying and promote acceptance.

The church advises that nursery and primary school should be a time of “creative exploration”, and that pupils should feel free to “try out the many cloaks of identity” and “explore the possibilities of who they might be without judgement or derision”.

This sounds like a great idea to me!

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Do think will help crack down on bullying?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if it will help crackdown on bullying in its own right, but I do think it's an important message to be sent. If this were to be accepted on a wider scale, it would certainly go some way to reduce bullying and to promote acceptance from a young age.

ReputationRep:
    I now understand what that Smiths song was about. Vicar in a Tutu.

ReputationRep:
    Very progressive for a church institution. Well done!

If only others would follow suit.

ReputationRep:
    Good.

ReputationRep:
    Once again, the words "Rome" and "last days of" spring to mind.

ReputationRep:
    im not sure how telling kids to be drag queens etc. will help prevent bullying?

ReputationRep:
    It is going to upset some people.

But it is not that long ago that precious traditionalists were getting upset by women in trousers or daring to wear a swimming costume.

ReputationRep:
    great news for the 0.0...% of kids that this will help.

Sucks for the larger percentage whose life can be hurt by this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    The Church of England have stated in new guidance to schools that "Boys should be free to choose to wear a tutu, tiara or heels, and girls to wear toolbelts and superhero capes". The guidance has been shared to help prevent bullying and promote acceptance.

The church advises that nursery and primary school should be a time of “creative exploration”, and that pupils should feel free to “try out the many cloaks of identity” and “explore the possibilities of who they might be without judgement or derision”.

young children and teenagers can be really nasty to each other children have always bullied each other.

By the why what are tutus and tiaras.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looloo2134)
    young children and teenagers can be really nasty to each other children have always bullied each other.

By the why what are tutus and tiaras.
    I think a ballerina dress and crown like headwear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    I think a ballerina dress and crown like headwear.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think its an excellent idea!

ReputationRep:
    Where do people think the church will find its future vicars and bishops from, if not from boys who like dressing up and women who want to do a traditional man's role, and who are used to standing out from society in general and don't mind the kicks that come from it?

ReputationRep:

Where would the Church be without the threat of judgement?!

At least they're now in the last century, although it's odd that it's taken so long, given how their employees dress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Where would the Church be without the threat of judgement?!
    Good point! The church is predicated on judgement. But the CofE wouldn't be where it is today without having lost sight of that simple fact. This is simply a recruitment exercise.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not aware of any Church of England teaching that would've ever said the opposite. Bit weird they're making headlines for stating the obvious. Will it help bullying? **** if I know, you wouldn't guess that was the aim

(Original post by fallen_acorns)

Sorry, who's getting hurt by it exactly? It's not like they've condemned anybody for choosing to still follow the stereotypical route if they so please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)

Whose lives are being hurt by this?

ReputationRep:
    Absolute rubbish.

ReputationRep:

First of all, who listens to that joke of a church anyways? atheists clearly don't take it seriously, nor do actual bible-believeing Christians.

Wonder why they call themselves a church anyways they clearly don't follow the bible and are just trying to stay relevant by backing up any populist opinion in a bid to draw in members and "stay with the times"

Tell me atheists, do you respect any following that doesn't stick to their original values? but rather just hops on any bandwagon that's popular at that point in time?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.