Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was my driver instructor bad, or was I duped into making her more money? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've since passed my driving test two months ago.

I failed my first test, which I put down to nerves.

However, when I passed my second test, my instructor's faced contorted to one of sheer shock and surprise, almost like she'd wanted me to fail. It wasn't the face of happy shock, like you'd expect of an instructor, which is why I'm now doubting her motive in taking four broken years to help me pass. I know I should have probably found someone else, so maybe I'm at fault here a little, but I thought she was great and two of those years was when I was a student and she was the cheapest in the area.

My partner and my brother have noticed that I drive wrong, or what they consider wrong based on how they've been taught or are being taught. I'm currently in the process of re-learning on my own and through the help of my partner and brother because it's causing dangerous situations and potential damage to my car. I didn't think anything was wrong whilst she was teaching me because I'd never been in a car before and it was all new to me. It's very surprising, because she has raving reviews from word of mouth, and a lot of first time passers. I am a bit of a pushover (shame on me) and I'm wondering if she took advantage of that.

I know two people who learned and passed first time with her, who tell me she taught them the way my brother and partner have learned, so why did she teach me differently?

Here's a list of things she taught me, or didn't teach me correctly, you could say.

• When changing down gears for a bend or roundabout, she never taught me to prepare in advance, and allowed me to ride my clutch the entire way round a bend and roundabout. Yes, this does include right-hand lane turns where I'd be going riiiiiiight around a roundabout. Not once did she tell me to lift my clutch, and I learned this as something normal.
    • Emphasised on the use of a hand break at any point of stopping. Yes, this even included on approach to a roundabout when I could see a gap, or when any traffic lights were changing to green. She'd make me stop, use the hand break, select first gear and go again even if I could just lower my speed and gear and keep the traffic moving. This didn't stop the entire time I learned until the night before my first test, where she first told me then and there not to use the hand break when it wasn't needed.
    • Allowed me to run through amber lights when they were about to turn red, even when I had plenty of time to stop. I know it's only possible to go through amber lights if it's safer to continue than it would be to suddenly stop, but we came very close to a few runnings of red lights on several occasions!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curious95)
    I've since passed my driving test two months ago.

I failed my first test, which I put down to nerves.

However, when I passed my second test, my instructor's faced contorted to one of sheer shock and surprise, almost like she'd wanted me to fail. It wasn't the face of happy shock, like you'd expect of an instructor, which is why I'm now doubting her motive in taking four broken years to help me pass. I know I should have probably found someone else, so maybe I'm at fault here a little, but I thought she was great and two of those years was when I was a student and she was the cheapest in the area.

My partner and my brother have noticed that I drive wrong, or what they consider wrong based on how they've been taught or are being taught. I'm currently in the process of re-learning on my own and through the help of my partner and brother because it's causing dangerous situations and potential damage to my car. I didn't think anything was wrong whilst she was teaching me because I'd never been in a car before and it was all new to me. It's very surprising, because she has raving reviews from word of mouth, and a lot of first time passers. I am a bit of a pushover (shame on me) and I'm wondering if she took advantage of that.

I know two people who learned and passed first time with her, who tell me she taught them the way my brother and partner have learned, so why did she teach me differently?

Here's a list of things she taught me, or didn't teach me correctly, you could say.

• When changing down gears for a bend or roundabout, she never taught me to prepare in advance, and allowed me to ride my clutch the entire way round a bend and roundabout. Yes, this does include right-hand lane turns where I'd be going riiiiiiight around a roundabout. Not once did she tell me to lift my clutch, and I learned this as something normal.
    • Emphasised on the use of a hand break at any point of stopping. Yes, this even included on approach to a roundabout when I could see a gap, or when any traffic lights were changing to green. She'd make me stop, use the hand break, select first gear and go again even if I could just lower my speed and gear and keep the traffic moving. This didn't stop the entire time I learned until the night before my first test, where she first told me then and there not to use the hand break when it wasn't needed.
    • Allowed me to run through amber lights when they were about to turn red, even when I had plenty of time to stop. I know it's only possible to go through amber lights if it's safer to continue than it would be to suddenly stop, but we came very close to a few runnings of red lights on several occasions!
    Perhaps she genuinely was surprised, but her response does seem odd and quite rude.

You passed, so you must have driven: safely, in control, remained observant at all times, appropriately for road/traffic conditions and traffic signs and all within the law.

Not much you can do about taking so long to pass - that's all history and you cannot go back in time. No point in wasting energy being bitter.

If she is on Trust Pilot, put a review there.

My advice would be to chalk it down to experience and move on.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.