Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why you shouldn't study law (from lawyers themselves) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    There’s other threads on this? 😡
    Yes there are, you shouldn’t be annoyed at people expressing there and 90% of law graduates feelings upon the internet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    People have got the right to reject your opinion. It’s flawed, misleading and most worryingly unhelpful.

If I showed this thread to most solicitors I know they’d be laughing. There might be more who find some kind of connection to what you are saying, and I suspect these might be in family law/criminal/immigration law areas going by what you have put in your posts. But I’ve met some of the most inspiring solicitors in those areas who would agree it is a tough market to work in, but could inspire even he most cynical of people that it would be worth it if it truly is your dream.
    Unfortunately I’d have to disagree, and no it’s coming from commercial, criminal and car fraud. I bet if you did show them, they’d agree with a great deal of it! Because believe it or not, I received this information from around 20+ experienced lawyers in different areas of law...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    Yes there are, you shouldn’t be annoyed at people expressing there and 90% of law graduates feelings upon the internet...
    Where is the evidence that this is 90% of law graduates feelings?

You must have 10,000s of imaginary friends.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    Unfortunately I’d have to disagree, and no it’s coming from commercial, criminal and car fraud. I bet if you did show them, they’d agree with a great deal of it! Because believe it or not, I received this information from around 20+ experienced lawyers in different areas of law...
    Wow 20 Lawyers? What a great sample size....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    Listen when law graduates realise their fate after law school. And how 500 of them will be fighting for the same abundant position. I know of many many people that have changed careers from law due to the fact that they’ve not been able to secure a job from months or even years of applying. Without the experience, you’re literally nothing to them. The law subject has barely anything to do with the real life aspect, as discussed before. You said before that you hired candidates? So you’ll know that 500 people with the same qualification will be hard to distinguish. I know and I’m being serious, many law firms that hire based on the name, layout or structure of the CV. You know why? Because they can...

I’ll discuss this further when I reply to you directly. But what really made me laugh was when you told me paralegals can be earning 40k...I mean... really?!!
    Worked in many law firms. Average applications per place ranged between 8-40. Was never anywhere near 500.

£40k is really easy to earn if you are on an hourly rate and working 60 hour weeks. That works out less than £15 an hour. I’ve posted job adverts for paralegals paying closer to £25 per hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Wow 20 Lawyers? What a great sample size....
    What do you mean, “great sample size”? these lawyers obviously have talked to and worked with hundreds of lawyers, barristers and judges before... you’re starting to mis interpit things here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Where is the evidence that this is 90% of law graduates feelings?

You must have 10,000s of imaginary friends.
    Because I’d be willing to bet 90% regret taking law...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    Because I’d be willing to bet 90% regret taking law...
    Any evidence on this?

This suggests it’s only a third: www.legalcheek.com/2017/11/one-third-of-law-students-regret-their-degree-choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Worked in many law firms. Average applications per place ranged between 8-40. Was never anywhere near 500.

£40k is really easy to earn if you are on an hourly rate and working 60 hour weeks. That works out less than £15 an hour. I’ve posted job adverts for paralegals paying closer to £25 per hour.
    Firstly paralegals NEVER get over time. It’s always a set wage. I also have personally seen the volume of CV’s sent in for one paralegal position in a commercial law firm... it was 500 and something... 60 hour weeks could give a 40k wage, however, ot Would be very depressing
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    Firstly paralegals NEVER get over time. It’s always a set wage. I also have personally seen the volume of CV’s sent in for one paralegal position in a commercial law firm... it was 500 and something... 60 hour weeks could give a 40k wage, however, ot Would be very depressing
    Never? Really...

https://www.cv-library.co.uk/job/206...vertime-34-000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Any evidence on this?

This suggests it’s only a third: http://www.legalcheek.com/2017/11/on...-degree-choice
    Let’s stop beating around the bush. You know full well most people regret taking law... and once you’ve found out you hate it, you have to work really hard to get out of it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    What do you mean, “great sample size”? these lawyers obviously have talked to and worked with hundreds of lawyers, barristers and judges before... you’re starting to mis interpit things here
    So wait, your evidence is hearsay... you arguments are really compelling.

ReputationRep:
    Okay but Jobs like that are obviously not really paralegal positions are they...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    Let’s stop beating around the bush. You know full well most people regret taking law... and once you’ve found out you hate it, you have to work really hard to get out of it.
    How do you work hard to get out of it?

You said earlier that plenty people go and become engineers or teachers. If it is so hard, why do so many (as you suggest) leave?

Do you want to stop contradicting yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    So wait, your evidence is hearsay... you arguments are really compelling.
    I’d rather get my opinions from real people who have been there and done it. Not some statistics that you can not verify

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    How do you work hard to get out of it?

You said earlier that plenty people go and become engineers or teachers. If it is so hard, why do so many (as you suggest) leave?
    Because by then most people have families to look after and the wage drops for some are simply unbearable. Anything else?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    I’d rather get my opinions from real people who have been there and done it. Not some statistics that you can not verify
    Best hypocritical response ever.

You should be awarded a special prize for that one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Any evidence on this?

This suggests it’s only a third: http://www.legalcheek.com/2017/11/on...-degree-choice
    And there is a natural bias in respondents to such surveys: those who are dissatisfied are more likely to respond than those who are contented with their lot. Moreover, the contented ones tend to be a bit busier than the ones moping around feeling sorry for themselves (i.e. the type of people !play's mum and dad know).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    You first I guess... that’s because there are more than one areas of engineering. I know people who have gone into computer and civil engineering with law degrees.
    You cannot be a civil engineer without an engineering degree - they might work in an engineering firm but they are not engineers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    Because by then most people have families to look after and the wage drops for some are simply unbearable. Anything else?
    So wait, you have said they can’t earn more than £16k and career progression is poor until a 50 year old woman retires. So why would there be such a big drop in wage?

Contradiction again....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.