Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why you shouldn't study law (from lawyers themselves) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I’ll be back later to answer your big comment you made earlier J-SP and any other questions you guys have. See ya until then. I’ll also discuss a few points brought up with a few more people..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    I’ll be back later to answer your big comment you made earlier J-SP and any other questions you guys have. See ya until then. I’ll also discuss a few points brought up with a few more people..
    I wish I could say I look forward to it...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    sips tea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    You've only been able to rebut the most marginal and near-irrelevant points so far, so it better be a good one. It would be far quicker to get your parents to answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    What do you mean, “great sample size”? these lawyers obviously have talked to and worked with hundreds of lawyers, barristers and judges before... you’re starting to mis interpit things here
    I thought it was only your two parents?

Now it's 20 lawyers?

And these lawyers are representing the views of hundreds of lawyers?

(Original post by !play)
    Let’s stop beating around the bush. You know full well most people regret taking law... and once you’ve found out you hate it, you have to work really hard to get out of it.
    Not at my uni. I'd ask which uni you go to where this hatred is the norm, but then I remembered you've never even applied to law, let alone studied it. Shame.

(Original post by !play)
    I’d rather get my opinions from real people who have been there and done it. Not some statistics that you can not verify
    You can't verify your 'real people' to us. By contrast, the statistics on Legal Cheek are publicly available, as is their methodology. So, on the verification front, J-SP wins.

(Original post by !play)
    Because by then most people have families to look after and the wage drops for some are simply unbearable. Anything else?
    What exactly causes these wage drops? People leaving the profession? Ever considered what jobs these people go in to?

Honestly, you managed to embarrass yourself four times in the space of me popping out to get dinner. Please spare yourself the indignity of trying to respond to anyone or anything else.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    What exactly causes these wage drops? People leaving the profession? Ever considered what jobs these people go in to?

Honestly, you managed to embarrass yourself four times in the space of me popping out to get dinner. Please spare yourself the indignity of trying to respond to anyone or anything else.
    Even if they had spoken to 20 lawyers, they clearly didn’t listen very well to have got so much factually wrong.

I still reckon they are imaginary “friends” though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Even if they had spoken to 20 lawyers, they clearly didn’t listen very well to have got so much factually wrong.

I still reckon they are imaginary “friends” though.
    Never argued with someone who has put so much emphasis on anecdote and the words of their parents in my however many years on this forum and the reddit on r/UniUK.

I think the worse thing is that he/she's putting it forward as an absolutely true, unqualified version of reality. No nuance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !play)
    Barristers? Don't even bother, you're self employed and so many get the bar qualification yet less that (0.00001%) of applicants get the job. To be honest don't even think of becoming a renowned barrister unless you have family already in the business. It's what a lot of law boils down to... the people you know. And to do that you need experience or a lucky family member. Something only 1/10000 law undergraduate has. Internships are also never heard of nowadays unless you get to a Russell group university and even then, they're still incredibly competitive.
    With only a couple of exceptions, everyone I did the bar course with who was remotely competent got a pupillage. I have never heard of any set recruiting on the basis of 'family connections'. Mini-pupillages are not remotely competitive (with the exception of a couple of assessed ones) and are open to students from any university.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm witnessing a murder.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.