Independent Student Watch

LilMissLizzie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So, I started university late - I was 22 in my first year. I've really struggled financially throughout university as my student finance has been based on my parents income.
Both my sisters live at home with both my parents working full time so as you can imagine, I get very little help from student finance. I've already used all my savings from working full time before uni.
I don't receive any help from home, meaning I have to work night shifts just to afford rent whilst studying full time. It did begin to effect my grades last year.
I'm currently on and unpaid placement and I'm freaking out about final year because I am earning no money at the moment.
So I actually turn 25 on Sep 5th 2018, this would mean I'm finally classed as independent. However, I've been advised by student finance that they class the 'acedemic year' as September 1st, even though my university doesn't open until October.
Basically they're saying I'm still classed as 24 for that funding year, absolutely awful as I think I'm going to have to drop final year if this is the case.
Does anyone have any help or advise?
Also student finance - I believe that your age when your course STARTS in more logical, considering I won't be getting any money from you until October anyway...so why do you take my age from Sep 1st?!
Loughborough University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LilMissLizzie)
So, I started university late - I was 22 in my first year. I've really struggled financially throughout university as my student finance has been based on my parents income.
Both my sisters live at home with both my parents working full time so as you can imagine, I get very little help from student finance. I've already used all my savings from working full time before uni.
I don't receive any help from home, meaning I have to work night shifts just to afford rent whilst studying full time. It did begin to effect my grades last year.
I'm currently on and unpaid placement and I'm freaking out about final year because I am earning no money at the moment.
So I actually turn 25 on Sep 5th 2018, this would mean I'm finally classed as independent. However, I've been advised by student finance that they class the 'acedemic year' as September 1st, even though my university doesn't open until October.
Basically they're saying I'm still classed as 24 for that funding year, absolutely awful as I think I'm going to have to drop final year if this is the case.
Does anyone have any help or advise?
Also student finance - I believe that your age when your course STARTS in more logical, considering I won't be getting any money from you until October anyway...so why do you take my age from Sep 1st?!
Hi LilMissLizzie

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time.
I really don't know the ins and outs of Student Finance, but if you have't already, please go and talk to our Student Advice and Support Service. They're located in the Bridgeman Building and you can call them on 01509 222058 or e-mail [email protected] to make an appointment to speak to someone.
They know their stuff and may be able to help.

Vicky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (60)
30.3%
No - I got the required grades (115)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.62%

Watched Threads