The Student Room Group

Student using LinkedIn

I'm pretty new to LinkedIn and am attempting to create a decent profile. I currently have a part time job working at a hotel to help me fund my studies. I'm looking to join the science / research industry but I think experience in hospitality and customer service can provide good transferable skills.

Should I list my current position as "Student" or my hotel job title?

I'm thinking about potential employers viewing my profile and thinking my current position is not relevant if I choose the latter. What do you think?
Original post by jaclem
I'm pretty new to LinkedIn and am attempting to create a decent profile. I currently have a part time job working at a hotel to help me fund my studies. I'm looking to join the science / research industry but I think experience in hospitality and customer service can provide good transferable skills.

Should I list my current position as "Student" or my hotel job title?

I'm thinking about potential employers viewing my profile and thinking my current position is not relevant if I choose the latter. What do you think?

Student isn't relevant or descriptive either. You're right about the transferable skills and often employers or recruiters will actually search for specific skills as well. List what you're doing as your job.
Reply 2
Thanks for the tips!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending