Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the interview, the tutors as you if you have any questions. Would it make a difference if you ask what they had for breakfast or something like what is your research area/ interesting question about your subject.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah avoid asking personal questions, just ask about the subject or college, uni, or anything that is directly related to the interview. Like in my mocks interview for uni I asked what made their university different to others, what services they provided etc. And asking them questions does help because it shows you've got an interest or desire to learn.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future-Barista)
    Yeah avoid asking personal questions, just ask about the subject or college, uni, or anything that is directly related to the interview. Like in my mocks interview for uni I asked what made their university different to others, what services they provided etc. And asking them questions does help because it shows you've got an interest or desire to learn.
    Asking about their research is a private question, but i mean pretty much every one knows what the professor is researching right? Would that still be a good question to ask? IT is about the subject but it is personal, *maybe not that personal because research is always done in a team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by divermat)
    Asking about their research is a private question, but i mean pretty much every one knows what the professor is researching right? Would that still be a good question to ask? IT is about the subject but it is personal, *maybe not that personal because research is always done in a team
    Considering its their research, I would consider it okay to ask about considering it is likely associated with the interview
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future-Barista)
    Yeah avoid asking personal questions, just ask about the subject or college, uni, or anything that is directly related to the interview.
    One thing, avoid asking a question that can be answered by looking at the university/college/course website.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you would be better off just thanking them, saying you don't have any questions, and not asking anything, or, perhaps, sticking to something administrative such as 'Where do I go now?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    One thing, avoid asking a question that can be answered by looking at the university/college/course website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, so something insightful or interesting. What is your stance on asking? Ask or don't ask?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so something insightful or interesting. What is your stance on asking? Ask or don't ask?
    Ask if you have a genuine question. If you don't then just say so.

The opportunity to ask a question is simply to help you, not to judge you. Ask/don't ask, it matters not to the interviewers.

(It doesn't need to be "insightful" or "interesting", that's just trying to force something into the conversation that doesn't need to be there. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Ask if you have a genuine question. If you don't then just say so.

The opportunity to ask a question is simply to help you, not to judge you. Ask/don't ask, it matters not to the interviewers.

(It doesn't need to be "insightful" or "interesting", that's just trying to force something into the conversation that doesn't need to be there. )
    Would this be a nice continuation, for example, asking more about a theory behind a problem that you did at your interview,
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Would this be a nice continuation, for example, asking more about a theory behind a problem that you did at your interview,
    Perhaps, but they may well say that unfortunately they don't have enough time... that's not to say you shouldn't ask that sort of question, just be ready for that reply.

Interviews are very time-pressured.

ReputationRep:
    What is your stance on asking? Ask or don't ask?
    You need to be aware that the interviewers will be forming an opinion on what you will be like to teach, and to bear in mind that the whole thing is very time pressured. If you ask something that you should already have learned from elsewhere, that won't look good for you as a potential student. If you ask something that would take a long time to answer, that isn't good either.

In short, ask a question if you genuinely need to know something, particularly about the interview process, but also to follow up something that can be briefly explained, but don't ask in the hope of impressing them (as that isn't the purpose of giving you the opportunity), and don't waste their time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.