Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should children be rewarded with money for doing well at school? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantine2016)
    You don't need money as a reward for children. The reward lies in a child seeing their E grade go up to a C and being able to see that they are capable of much more.
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    The reward should come post school in a good well paid job.
    In TSRland you’re missing the point. The point is supposed to be to motivate people who are not already motivated

Of course - this is the problem with a universal system- it will reward people who are already motivated in the main.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald777O)
    Yes because it prepares them for the workforce because you have to work well to get paid or you'll get fired. And it'll motivate some. Even a little as £10 a month could do a lot.
    By “as little as £10 per month” what you mean is half a billion pounds per year.

ReputationRep:
    '£20 - £40 a month' ?!?!

My school has reward assemblies at the end of each term and gives out £5 amazon vouchers to people who get tutee of the term or something

But they mostly give them to year 7's / 8's anyways

In year 8 I got something like every time we did those assemblies - I'm in year 9 and for my house group like only one year 9 got something xD.

btw I'm one of those quiet kids who never gets in trouble and has pretty much perfect attendance CAUSE IM WEIRD

ReputationRep:
    No because they will grow up with a bad mentality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    By “as little as £10 per month” what you mean is half a billion pounds per year.
    Uhm better than what the government is spending on now. We all know about what happened to Grenfell tower donations. Government are not spending the money on the right things. This won't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    At my school we kind of are. If you go to after school revisions sessions you get put in a draw for like £20 every half and term, the same thing happens if you have 100% attendance but the draw is every 2 weeks and it’s only £10. Also there are random awards, like some girl in our year got £10 for watching the most gcse pods.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    This is a great idea!! When I was sitting my Nat 5s (GCSEs) I always felt like the prospect of going to uni/college/apprenticeships etc was a million years away, as a 15-16 year old couldn't really relate to it all, I didn't have the ability to fully appreciate how important these qualifications were, however I COULD relate to the idea of shopping and buying things I liked, since I had experience of that, soo it would have been a realistic goal which I could reap the rewards of in the near future, not years and years away.

ReputationRep:
    You could argue this would support more middle/upper class children more considering lower class people (who are poor) are usually less academically intelligent. Thus increasing the divide between the poor and wealthy.

(Wtf, I sound like a Marxist.)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_d2010)
    No because they will grow up with a bad mentality
    What that they should expect money for doing well? Isnt that the view most people take anyway...

ReputationRep:
    teachers should get paid the average % of what their class get in tests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    In TSRland you’re missing the point. The point is supposed to be to motivate people who are not already motivated

Of course - this is the problem with a universal system- it will reward people who are already motivated in the main.
    I believe every child is motivated in some way to do good in something. Maybe not just in grades but in other things as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mez_merising)
    teachers should get paid the average % of what their class get in tests
    Under this plan, schools with dodgy demographics would fail instantly as teachers bailed out. Why would you teach in a school where your cohort controls your pay?

Any rational teacher would try and work in a selective school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.