Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to change degree, but would need to switch UNI Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Currently in my 1st year studying Computer Science, doing really well so far grade-wise but a lot of the module subjects are definitely not for me.

I believe I would be much happier and best-suited to another particular degree however my current University offers no degree like it or even remotely similar.

I was just wondering as of right now: 13/11/17, is there any chance what so ever of being able to transfer University and start year 1 of my desired course this year?

I know the answer is probably no, and my only option is reapplying for year 1 entry next year, but thought I would see if any option was open.

Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpiano)
    Currently in my 1st year studying Computer Science, doing really well so far grade-wise but a lot of the module subjects are definitely not for me.

I believe I would be much happier and best-suited to another particular degree however my current University offers no degree like it or even remotely similar.

I was just wondering as of right now: 13/11/17, is there any chance what so ever of being able to transfer University and start year 1 of my desired course this year?

I know the answer is probably no, and my only option is reapplying for year 1 entry next year, but thought I would see if any option was open.

Thanks.
    Mid year transfers are virtually unheard of. There’s a handful of exceptions but I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

Ring your new university to ask about transfers. You might be able to complete year 1 of your current course and swap to yr 2 of the new one. It will depend upon how compatible the two courses are.

ReputationRep:
    You also need to consider how much content you will need to self teach yourself if you were to be able to transfer to another course- especially if assuming that most unis will have exams for modules in January. But perhaps its best to drop out of your course if you're really not enjoying it, and get some work experience if possible for your new subject- that'll make your application for the new course a lot stronger and also give you an indication as to whether you would actually enjoy the new course or are better off finishing the current degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.