Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello i am confused about being a junior doctor and was wondering if anyone could help answer my queries;

For a normal ward day shift how many SHO's are likely to be on duty? or is there just one;
    Also, as a SHO do you only work under one consultant and therefore only tend to the patients under that consultant? or do you work under many consultants

many thanks in advance any help is appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casie1234)
    For a normal ward day shift how many SHO's are likely to be on duty? or is there just one;
    It depends and varies - according to hospital, specialty, ward and the times of the week!!

Also, as a SHO do you only work under one consultant and therefore only tend to the patients under that consultant? or do you work under many consultants
    Again it varies!!

Now for neurology in hospital 1 that I work - we have 2 SHOs covering 28 patients. However sometimes one goes on annual leave / study leave / on-calls and there is only one. If next door (stroke medicine) can spare then the F1 comes and helps. They work for all the consultants.

In hospital 2 (again for neurology) - we have a pool of 6 junior doctors (2x F1s, 2x F2s, 2x CMTs) who share between 2 wards of neurology and stroke medicine. Again it is never than all 6 are here, and they distribute amongst themselves.

Finally in hospital 3 I only have 1 SHO working for all the neurology consultants - if they are not here we have to get cross-cover or I have to roll my sleeves up and work!

Previous experience (for me) - in bigger specialties (e.g. orthopaedics, respiratory, gastroenterology) it tends to be consultant-based. i.e. each consultant team gets 1 F1, 1 SHO and 1 registrar? But you must be advised that it varies big time.

If you are worried about lack of support - don't be. All the more senior doctors (including your registrars and consultants) should be supportive and available to be contacted if you are concerned about things. I know I am happy to be contacted if my juniors have any questions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.