Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parliament to get binding vote on final Brexit deal Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41975277

(Original post by BBC News)

Parliament will get a vote on the final Brexit deal before the UK leaves the EU, minister David Davis has told MPs.
    He said the terms of the UK's exit, including any transition deal and agreement on citizen rights, would have to become law via new legislation.

And he said MPs would have the opportunity to reject or amend such legislation, saying "the agreement will only hold if Parliament approves it".

Labour welcomed what it said was a "significant climbdown".

The BBC's political editor Laura Kuenssberg said the announcement was significant because it represented a big concession to potential Tory rebels and Labour MPs at a highly important moment in the Brexit process.

It comes as MPs prepare to debate key Brexit legislation later this week with the government facing possible defeat on aspects of the EU Withdrawal Bill, which will convert EU law into UK law.

The UK is due to leave the EU in March 2019, irrespective of whether MPs back or reject the terms of the deal negotiated by Theresa May's government.

But updating MPs on the sixth round of talks which concluded on Friday, Mr Davis told MPs that they would play a major role and "there cannot be any doubt that Parliament will be intimately involved at every stage".

The government had previously agreed to give MPs a vote on a Commons motion relating to the final Brexit deal - before it has been voted upon by the European Parliament.

Mr Davis said he still "intended and expected" this to happen but went further - agreeing to Labour and Tory MPs' demands for any vote to take place on substantive primary legislation.

The bill, he told MPs, would contain the contents of the withdrawal agreement that the UK hopes to seal in time ahead of its scheduled departure and all key aspects of it - such as the financial settlement between the two sides, the future status of UK and EU citizens and the terms of any transition.

"This means that Parliament will be given time to scrutinise, debate and vote on the final deal we strike with the EU," he said, adding that it was not clear when such a bill would be published.

Labour welcomed a binding vote on a specific exit bill but said it could not mask the fact that there had been a "profound lack of progress" in the negotiations to date.

"This is a significant climbdown from a weak government on the verge of defeat," shadow Brexit Secretary Sir Keir Starmer told MPs.
    "For months, Labour has been calling on ministers to guarantee Parliament a final say on the withdrawal agreement.

"With less than 24 hours before they had to defend their flawed Bill to Parliament, they have finally backed down. However, like everything with this Government, the devil will be in the detail.

"Ministers must now go further. They need to accept Labour's amendments that would ensure transitional arrangements, and protect jobs and the economy from a cliff edge."
    Even if there were indications of this coming, it marks a more clear idea of the wider parliament's involvement in the outcome of the Brexit negotiations.

Thoughts? Do you think this is an attempt to appease some of the MPs that were rumoured to be threatening a rebellion over the weekend, or was this the plan all along?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)

Even if there were indications of this coming, it marks a more clear idea of the wider parliament's involvement in the outcome of the Brexit negotiations.

Thoughts?
    Isnt this the democracy that brexitards wanted in the first place? Or is it only democracy when it goes their way?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)

Thoughts? Do you think this is an attempt to appease some of the MPs that were rumoured to be threatening a rebellion over the weekend, or was this the plan all along?
    Doesn't really matter.

There are enough Labour Brexiteers to offset any Tory dissenters to pass the bill.

Even so, I could only really imagine Ken Clarke voting against it. The likes of Soubry and Nicky Morgan and Heidi Allen will do what they usually do, talk a good game but when it comes to the vote, fall in line.

ReputationRep:
    Like this will stop the government ****ing it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Doesn't really matter.

There are enough Labour Brexiteers to offset any Tory dissenters to pass the bill.

Even so, I could only really imagine Ken Clarke voting against it. The likes of Soubry and Nicky Morgan and Heidi Allen will do what they usually do, talk a good game but when it comes to the vote, fall in line.
    It really depends on what the actual deal is. If it's a terrible deal followed by a public outcry then it won't be as straight-forward as you make it sound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offsetWHOOP)
    Isnt this the democracy that brexitards wanted in the first place? Or is it only democracy when it goes their way?
    It is rigged with the ultimate "rattle thrown out of the pram" clause that says if you don't vote for the deal, there is no deal i.e. Armageddon.

ReputationRep:
    The meaningful vote is pointless.

You can vote down whatever deal is brought back before parliament but the outcome to that is no deal.

The process is no we don’t agree go back to the eu.

Little to no time left, eu doesn’t want to give more just because the uk say so and we leave with no deal and possibly no transition.

Which people who won’t want to vote for the deal will see as a worse outcome.

Aka pointless.

So it gets voted down, you get nothing significant from the eu from further talks it goes back to parliament who votes for it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, if I see one more talking head blathering on about "the will of the people", steps will be taken (30 odd% of the electorate is not "the people")
    And since when did a position arrived at by the democratic process become unchallangeable by the democratic process? Do people not know that there is a general election every few years? The result of the first one did not mean that there could be no more elections. Jeez!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Seriously, if I see one more talking head blathering on about "the will of the people", steps will be taken (30 odd% of the electorate is not "the people")
    And since when did a position arrived at by the democratic process become unchallangeable by the democratic process? Do people not know that there is a general election every few years? The result of the first one did not mean that there could be no more elections. Jeez!
    Yea that’s fine, the other side can campaign to join after we have left otherwise the majority who voted leave got nothing for their vote.

ReputationRep:
    This is a very exciting concession. It should have been there the whole time, because really, how expressive is the statement "we want to leave the EU"? Does it entail membership of the EEA? Do we have an FTA with EEA? Do we trade under WTO terms, considering the WTO MFN/NT principles do not operate for RTAs like the EU? I don't think most of the 52% considered these points, never mind that any of these propositions is what Brexit actually means.

The only more idealistic step would be to have a second referendum, rather than a Parliamentary vote, on whether the electorate finds the terms agreeable or whether they would prefer continued EU membership. Alas, we cannot dream too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    This is a very exciting concession. It should have been there the whole time, because really, how expressive is the statement "we want to leave the EU"? Does it entail membership of the EEA? Do we have an FTA with EEA? Do we trade under WTO terms, considering the WTO MFN/NT principles do not operate for RTAs like the EU? I don't think most of the 52% considered these points, never mind that any of these propositions is what Brexit actually means.

The only more idealistic step would be to have a second referendum, rather than a Parliamentary vote, on whether the electorate finds the terms agreeable or whether they would prefer continued EU membership. Alas, we cannot dream too much.
    An exciting concession? Err nah.

Do you agree to the deal? No.

Well no deal then.

But that’s worse than the deal you brought back.

Ah so you’re voting for the deal then.

As for a second referendum on the terms, forget it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Yea that’s fine, the other side can campaign to join after we have left otherwise the majority who voted leave got nothing for their vote.
    Far more people didn't vote Leave than did. What do they get?
    Plus, don't forget all those who voted Leave for reasons that have now been shown to be simple lies (not that this wasn't obvious at the time to anyone prepared to actually look at the issues for 5 minutes!).

ReputationRep:
    An exciting concession? Err nah.

Do you agree to the deal? No.

Well no deal then.

But that’s worse than the deal you brought back.

Ah so you’re voting for the deal then.

As for a second referendum on the terms, forget it.
    I was really looking forward to second ref. Then this insightful bloke called Paul off TSR educated me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Plus, don't forget all those who voted Leave for reasons that have now been shown to be simple lies (not that this wasn't obvious at the time to anyone prepared to actually look at the issues for 5 minutes!).
    I’m not getting into the referendum it’s done a side won, the other didn’t.

I’m also not getting into none voters and I’m certainly not counting them for or against an argument, they simply don’t matter as they didn’t vote.

ReputationRep:
    I was really looking forward to second ref. Then this insightful bloke called Paul off TSR educated me.
    It’s not going to happen and no amount of sarcasm is going to bring it about.

ReputationRep:
    It’s not going to happen and no amount of sarcasm is going to bring it about.
    I never said it was going to happen. In fact, I implied the opposite.

What I was being sarcastic about was you thinking that your opinion is at all authoritative on the matter. No reasoned argument about it. Simply your opinion stated as if it ends all reasoned discussion on the matter. It almost makes you seem self-important, but I know you better and I know that is not the case.

ReputationRep:
    I never said it was going to happen. In fact, I implied the opposite.

What I was being sarcastic about was you thinking that your opinion is at all authoritative on the matter. No reasoned argument about it. Simply your opinion stated as if it ends all reasoned discussion on the matter. It almost makes you seem self-important, but I know you better and I know that is not the case.
    Well what is there to argue about when it comes to a second brexit referendum?
    The leave side know it is not about the terms and about over turning the original decision.

The Lib Dem’s have called for it and everyone just laughs at it.

The leave side won’t allow it and neither will the government, there’s no point even going into it.

ReputationRep:
    Well what is there to argue about when it comes to a second brexit referendum?
    The leave side know it is not about the terms and about over turning the original decision.

The Lib Dem’s have called for it and everyone just laughs at it.

The leave side won’t allow it and neither will the government, there’s no point even going into it.
    So this is your attempt to bring reasoned argument? Political rhetoric.

Can you give me something more, more ambitious? Objective facts. Note (for a second time), I never said it was something which is going to happen; I simply said it would be the most idealistic answer to the question of what Brexit means to the electorate, and if the substance of the Brexit agreement is preferable in their eyes to continued EU membership. I never said anything about what political parties think of this. As previously noted, I said the idea is firmly buried on a wayward road in dream land.

ReputationRep:
    So this is your attempt to bring reasoned argument? Political rhetoric.

Can you give me something more, more ambitious? Objective facts. Note (for a second time), I never said it was something which is going to happen; I simply said it would be the most idealistic answer to the question of what Brexit means to the electorate, and if the substance of the Brexit agreement is preferable in their eyes to continued EU membership. I never said anything about what political parties think of this. As previously noted, I said the idea is firmly buried on a wayward road in dream land.
    Great, so you also know it’s not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    This.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.