Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Long story short I do media studies and I'm in second year and one of my assignments is to write a report on privacy in media. Specifically;
    "Using 2000 words you are to outline for data protection policy-makers academic thought on informational privacy and citizen perspectives about privacy matters." -As is quoted on the assignment page.
    I have literally no idea what writing a report entails and my lecturer has been no help at all. The entire module group doesn't understand the assignment and when we've asked him he's not given us straight answers and been super vague. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have no idea how to even go about this and it's due Friday.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by EmmaRebecca1997)
    Long story short I do media studies and I'm in second year and one of my assignments is to write a report on privacy in media. Specifically;
    "Using 2000 words you are to outline for data protection policy-makers academic thought on informational privacy and citizen perspectives about privacy matters." -As is quoted on the assignment page.
    I have literally no idea what writing a report entails and my lecturer has been no help at all. The entire module group doesn't understand the assignment and when we've asked him he's not given us straight answers and been super vague. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have no idea how to even go about this and it's due Friday.
    In your second year you really should know what a report it. You would have written reports in school! The question is very clear, outline thought of xyz about abc so do your research about thought in the field and get going. Collect all your thoughts, put them down and the structure will come on its own when you start grouping things together. 2000 words is not long at all. The intro and conclusion will then follow on from the body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    In your second year you really should know what a report it. You would have written reports in school! The question is very clear, outline thought of xyz about abc so do your research about thought in the field and get going. Collect all your thoughts, put them down and the structure will come on its own when you start grouping things together. 2000 words is not long at all. The intro and conclusion will then follow on from the body.
    I've never written a report that's why I'm asking. All of my previous assignments have been essays or practical assignments because that's the sort of thing my degree focuses on rather than reports. I've never had to write a report in school it's always been essays or other forms of structured format. 2000 words isn't long but it's the fact I did not know how to approach it in terms of structure etc because my lecturers response was fundamentally 'there is no structure' which isn't helpful when this is the first report you've had to do and the rest of my module group were in the same boat.
    Just wanted advice, not a lecture on what I should and shouldn't know based on something I've never done before
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by EmmaRebecca1997)
    I've never written a report that's why I'm asking. All of my previous assignments have been essays or practical assignments because that's the sort of thing my degree focuses on rather than reports. I've never had to write a report in school it's always been essays or other forms of structured format. 2000 words isn't long but it's the fact I did not know how to approach it in terms of structure etc because my lecturers response was fundamentally 'there is no structure' which isn't helpful when this is the first report you've had to do and the rest of my module group were in the same boat.
    Just wanted advice, not a lecture on what I should and shouldn't know based on something I've never done before
    Usually a thank you for the help goes a long way. No one is lecturing you hun but if you ask for help usually people will tell you what do do. Your lecturer is right and second guessing them is not going to help you as they will be marking it. Uni is about learning new things for yourself and thinking for yourself and if we all knew how to do everything we wouldn't bother with uni now would we. Anyway, all I can say is good luck and that an attitude adjustment will stand you in good stead when asking for help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Usually a thank you for the help goes a long way. No one is lecturing you hun but if you ask for help usually people will tell you what do do. Your lecturer is right and second guessing them is not going to help you as they will be marking it. Uni is about learning new things for yourself and thinking for yourself and if we all knew how to do everything we wouldn't bother with uni now would we. Anyway, all I can say is good luck and that an attitude adjustment will stand you in good stead when asking for help.
    I didn't say thank you because your tone is incredibly condescending. You yourself need an attitude change instead of talking down to people simply for not knowing something you do. Uni is about learning new things for yourself but when you actively seek out help you should be given it. If lecturers aren't prepared to help you when you come to them for help, there's not much point in them being there. That's their job. I appreciate the information you gave me but you did not need to use the tone you did, hence why I replied as I did. Try looking at the way you talk to others before telling other people they need an attitude adjustment.

ReputationRep:
    "Using 2000 words you are to outline for data protection policy-makers academic thought on informational privacy and citizen perspectives about privacy matters."

It is pretty clear you need to do background reading and come up with an essay that follows some sort of structure e.g.

Intro
    What is the thought from data protection policy makers on informational privacy? Discuss different perspectives and analyse.
    What are the perspectives from the general public on "privacy matters"? Discuss different perspectives and analyse
    Come to a conclusion

2000 words is short so don't waffle about irrelevant stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.