Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS/A Level- A computer scientists quest Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Thomas and I am studying 4 subjects at AS level currently at Bingley Grammar School. (not a real grammar school)

This blog is going to be my journey from November 2017 to July 2019.
    It will contain what ive been studying and revising each week and my tips and tricks to help you and me through the next two years.

Subjects:
    Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics.

My goals:
    4 A AS levels
    A*A*AA - A levels
    Cambridge Computer science.

I hope to make these goals and if things don't go to plan you can see how i react to them. This will be a new experience for me and i hope that this blog gets to be a good discussion area for people to talk

ReputationRep:
    seems like a good idea, good luck with the grades and studying. im personally revising right now for GCSE mocks in january.

ReputationRep:
    This should be useful for you:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1guAj8-d-9s

Also watch a mock compsci interview that Jake made.

ReputationRep:
    Ayy fellow Computer Scientist! Subbing! We do almost the same A Levels lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    Ayy fellow Computer Scientist! Subbing! We do almost the same A Levels lmao.
    nice its such an awesome subject

ReputationRep:
    Week 1
    Hi this is my first weekly post it will outline my goals for the week and a couple of tips.

Goals:
    Computer science- Write up notes for Hardware and Software and Computer Organisation and architecture

Further Maths- Complete Mixed exercise on Series and revise floyds algorithm

Mathematics- Full revision of applied statistics content including mixed exercises

Physics- Projectile Motion question practise(SUVATS) and Charge and current not writeup

Tips:
    - Start making revision notes now to decrease the work needed later in the year.
    - get lots of sleep
    - check out goconqr to create revision materials.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm ThatNerd,

Will be watching this thread. We do the same subjects and I'm aiming to get into Cambridge too for Computer Science. Guess we're quite similar ppl . How are you finding the subjects. Right now if I were to rank them in order of difficulty (from easy to hard):

1) Physics (I'm told it'll get harder but fingers crossed it doesn't because It feels nice to understand what's going on in class compared to my other three subjects).

2) Computer Science

I picked Comp sci because I have a big passion for it. I find it really interesting. Unfortunately my teacher finds it very interesting too. You'd think this a good thing, but the thing is he's bit too interested in what he is saying that every time he starts explaining he gets carried away, goes of on a tangent to which it takes him about half an hour to get back to what he was saying. He's also really bad at explaining things. Because of this I'm mostly learning from the book and other resources but I still very much enjoy the content.

3) Maths & Further Maths

Ppl aren't kidding when they say there's a big jump from GCSE to A Level. I managed to get a 9 at GCSE but at A Level, a lot of the time I struggle to grasp what's going on in class, which means I have to go home and make sure I learn what was happening, making sure I fully get the content. We're doing C2 and a bit of C3 trigonometry in Maths now and Matrices in further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatNerd)
    Hi I'm ThatNerd,

Will be watching this thread. We do the same subjects and I'm aiming to get into Cambridge too for Computer Science. Guess we're quite similar ppl . How are you finding the subjects. Right now if I were to rank them in order of difficulty (from easy to hard):

1) Physics (I'm told it'll get harder but fingers crossed it doesn't because It feels nice to understand what's going on in class compared to my other three subjects).

2) Computer Science

I picked Comp sci because I have a big passion for it. I find it really interesting. Unfortunately my teacher finds it very interesting too. You'd think this a good thing, but the thing is he's bit too interested in what he is saying that every time he starts explaining he gets carried away, goes of on a tangent to which it takes him about half an hour to get back to what he was saying. He's also really bad at explaining things. Because of this I'm mostly learning from the book and other resources but I still very much enjoy the content.

3) Maths & Further Maths

Ppl aren't kidding when they say there's a big jump from GCSE to A Level. I managed to get a 9 at GCSE but at A Level, a lot of the time I struggle to grasp what's going on in class, which means I have to go home and make sure I learn what was happening, making sure I fully get the content. We're doing C2 and a bit of C3 trigonometry in Maths now and Matrices in further maths.
    im finding physics hardest at the moment due to the question style. Further maths core pure then next due to the complex number loci. the computer science theory.
    I think maths is quite manageable and simple at the moment (got 9 at GCSE (213/240). Computer science programming is quite simple as well due to knowing most of A level programming already in python

ReputationRep:
    Heh we're doing the same levels.

I also made a GYG if you ever want to see the prospective of another aspiring CompSci student.

ReputationRep:
    today's not going the best. writing up computer organisation and architecture notes for tomorrows test. desk is so cluttered. featuring von Neumann Name:  image-9ae87e4d-937f-45c5-b605-1a8bc4baf6c82079563922-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  44.5 KB
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Week 2:
    Hi things are going well in my quest here is this weeks update:

Updates:
    I am starting to attend a problem-solving class at Leeds uni to hopefully help prepare me for the CSAT at Cambridge and improve my mathematics skills.

I also signed up for the reach for excellence scheme at Leeds Uni(unrelated to the last point). I was eligible due to my personal circumstances. It is unknown whether I will be accepted at this point as there are 200 places and it is highly competitive. I applied due to the professional personal statement reviews and subject sessions which if I get in should give me an advantage over other applicants to Cambridge.

I started work on a Physics related project. My main goal is to be able to create a solar system simulation. with working orbits and correct velocities To eventually being able to build on adding comets and satellites like earth. This will be a long-term project which could turn into an EPQ. I have currently created a projectile motion simulator which has introduced me to many turtle concepts. In future, I'm going to utilise my own class. This being my first OOP project.

Last weeks Goal completion:
    Computer Science- I successfully wrote up my notes Computer Organisation and architecture and have finished 50% of my hardware and Software notes. This is due to us having a class test on Computer Organisation and architecture which I successfully got 46/50 92% shows I am pretty solid on the topic. I learnt I need to revise CD-ROMs and SSD.

Further Maths- I successfully completed the series work which i got 100% on the homework. Floyds algorithm I did a couple of questions grasping the main concepts but I want to do some more questions to check different scenarios.

Mathematics- I revised most of the covered statistics content such as interpolation and some of the mechanics content. I need to revise definitions. My test results successfully came back from our first-year test and I got 69/76 90.7% which is just into the A* percentage margin so I need to improve.

Physics- i have practised a few suvats questions but didnt complete charge and current questions.

This week's goals are
    Computer Science- Complete note writeup for Hardware and Software. Go over weak points for computer organisation and architecture

Further Maths- Floyds algorithm questions, learn polynomial equations for quadratics and cubics and do questions

Maths - revise statistics definitions and mechanics definitions

Physics- General definition revision, electricity questions I = NaVe

Tips-
    Write up all notes which are kept digitally
    go over questions at end of each topic
    ask teachers for more information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tbarker1)
    Hi, my name is Thomas and I am studying 4 subjects at AS level currently at Bingley Grammar School. (not a real grammar school)

This blog is going to be my journey from November 2017 to July 2019.
    It will contain what ive been studying and revising each week and my tips and tricks to help you and me through the next two years.

Subjects:
    Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics.

My goals:
    4 A AS levels
    A*A*AA - A levels
    Cambridge Computer science.

I hope to make these goals and if things don't go to plan you can see how i react to them. This will be a new experience for me and i hope that this blog gets to be a good discussion area for people to talk
    Nice to see a CS GYG.

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.