Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anyone hereabouts has opted to take up a new language from beginner's level at university as part of their course or something like the Languages For All Programme.

I'm think of picking up Italian as part of one of my chosen uni courses, but I wasn't sure how hard it would be given it makes up half of the course.

I have never spoken Italian in my life! I am currently studying Spanish, which I want to pursue into H.E. but I don't know if two languages is a little extreme. I'm predicted an A in Spanish, but that doesn't exactly affect the Italian side of things . . . I've started to try and teach myself basics, but it's a little slow.

But, any opinions?

From anyone, to be honest -- Undergrads or A Level students, just some opinions or advice would be good!:

How hard is it to start a new language at uni/18 years of age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeaAndTantrums)
    I was just wondering if anyone hereabouts has opted to take up a new language from beginner's level at university as part of their course or something like the Languages For All Programme.

I'm think of picking up Italian as part of one of my chosen uni courses, but I wasn't sure how hard it would be given it makes up half of the course.

I have never spoken Italian in my life! I am currently studying Spanish, which I want to pursue into H.E. but I don't know if two languages is a little extreme. I'm predicted an A in Spanish, but that doesn't exactly affect the Italian side of things . . . I've started to try and teach myself basics, but it's a little slow.

But, any opinions?

From anyone, to be honest -- Undergrads or A Level students, just some opinions or advice would be good!:

How hard is it to start a new language at uni/18 years of age?
    It all depends on how much effort you put it into it.

My friend took Russian ab initio, while I had a (Scottish) Higher in it. By the time we graduated (over 30 years ago!) she was better than me in the language and still uses it to this day, whereas I have all but forgotten it.

As Italian is a Romance language, like Spanish, you already have a head start, so it shouldn't be too much of a struggle.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hey hey, so I'm applying to do French and Spanish for 2018 entry and I can totally understand where you're coming from about two languages being kind of extreme, but like the above poster said, because Spanish and Italian are both romance languages, it should help with your learning. As long as you really love the study of Italian and its' linked cultures, it shouldn't be too difficult to learn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FionaMG)
    It all depends on how much effort you put it into it.

My friend took Russian ab initio, while I had a (Scottish) Higher in it. By the time we graduated (over 30 years ago!) she was better than me in the language and still uses it to this day, whereas I have all but forgotten it.

As Italian is a Romance language, like Spanish, you already have a head start, so it shouldn't be too much of a struggle.

Good luck.
    That's another thing I guess – what will I use it for?

I was actually considering Russian, but the university no longer offers it with Spanish so Italian was my next choice. Good job, too; Cyrillic is too confusing xD

Thanks for the much needed luck and the info, I'll be sure to bear it in mind! It's time to crack out the ol' English to Italian dictionary and get working!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bateaux)
    Hey hey, so I'm applying to do French and Spanish for 2018 entry and I can totally understand where you're coming from about two languages being kind of extreme, but like the above poster said, because Spanish and Italian are both romance languages, it should help with your learning. As long as you really love the study of Italian and its' linked cultures, it shouldn't be too difficult to learn!
    Yeah, my love for Italian is largely because of South Italian heritage (and also, I love looking at all the histories and such which my chosen course focuses a lot on). I figured it was the best way to explore my past and myself as well as the society my ancestors would have lived in, really.

I've been told Italian verbs especially work more like the French conjugations (goddammit, all I know is 'le pomme'!) but there are some cognates here and there. I'm sure I can work it out!

Thanks for the response, and I wish you luck with your Uni app/course! French and Spanish is a nice combo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeaAndTantrums)
    Yeah, my love for Italian is largely because of South Italian heritage (and also, I love looking at all the histories and such which my chosen course focuses a lot on). I figured it was the best way to explore my past and myself as well as the society my ancestors would have lived in, really.

I've been told Italian verbs especially work more like the French conjugations (goddammit, all I know is 'le pomme'!) but there are some cognates here and there. I'm sure I can work it out!

Thanks for the response, and I wish you luck with your Uni app/course! French and Spanish is a nice combo!
    Thank you very much, You too!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.