Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm a UK citizen who was born in England (my entire family are English) and I've lived here since May 2016. I hope to begin my University studying next year but I'm unsure of my status for eligibility for a student loan.

For reference, I lived in England for a year when I was much younger and will have been living here for two consecutive years by the time I start my studies. I've also already completed a year at the University of Leicester, although I intend to start a different degree.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information.
    Thank you.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisbensmith)
    Hi,
    I'm a UK citizen who was born in England (my entire family are English) and I've lived here since May 2016. I hope to begin my University studying next year but I'm unsure of my status for eligibility for a student loan.

For reference, I lived in England for a year when I was much younger and will have been living here for two consecutive years by the time I start my studies. I've also already completed a year at the University of Leicester, although I intend to start a different degree.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information.
    Thank you.
    Hi thisisbensmith,

Do you hold a UK passport? where have you been living before you returned to the UK in 2016?

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi thisisbensmith,

Do you hold a UK passport? where have you been living before you returned to the UK in 2016?

Thanks

Catherine
    Hi Catherine,
    Yes, I do hold a UK passport. I lived in New Zealand from 1999 to 2016.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisbensmith)
    Hi Catherine,
    Yes, I do hold a UK passport. I lived in New Zealand from 1999 to 2016.
    Hi thisisbensmith,

Depending on the circumstances students may be eligible to apply for Student Support if they have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break. Students will be required to provide evidence of their temporary break regardless of the length of time they were temporarily absent for.

Being on a Gap Year, doing voluntary work overseas, student/parents active service in the armed forces, parents working abroad on a temporary contact of employment etc are examples of temporary breaks.

Students who emigrated to another country outside of EEA/Switzerland and who are unable to satisfy Student Finance England that their break was of a temporary nature would not be eligible for funding.

Regards,

Stuart

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.