Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anybody have any experience with emigrating to another country? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So in February i'll be setting sail for pastures new, namely i'll be moving to New Zealand to start my Masters and I don't have any particular intention of moving back in the short/medium term.
    So essentially i'm wondering if anyone else has done this or anything similar and has any tips or advice for me such as how to meet friends, how to deal with potential home sickness and generally creating a newlife ?
    Thanks!!)

ReputationRep:
    Prince Philip you could ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    Pardon me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    (Original post by Napp)
    Pardon me?
    He was not born in the UK and so has experience of moving for a new life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    So in February i'll be setting sail for pastures new, namely i'll be moving to New Zealand to start my Masters and I don't have any particular intention of moving back in the short/medium term.
    So essentially i'm wondering if anyone else has done this or anything similar and has any tips or advice for me such as how to meet friends, how to deal with potential home sickness and generally creating a newlife ?
    Thanks!!)
    Hi, I am guessing you're feeling a bit nervous about moving, probably excited too. Four years ago, I left the country I was in for 7 years and moved to London. It was also in the middle of my important educational year and I was so scared.
    From my experience, it's quite hard at first, specially if you have language barriers. I knew a bit of english but I really struggled with talking and listening to people. Also, settling in school, making friends and just fitting in took me at least a year. But it was a nice experience and I LOVE IT HERE. I suggest for you to do more research about New Zealand and try to go out more and don't be scared to explore. I mostly made friends through school, so I don't really any tips on how to make friends. It's good to just hang outside a lot and asking people to help you when you need it. Try to learn more about the cultures and laws and systems and stuff like that.
    I am hoping this helped. I gotta tell you unless you're really confident and outgoing, emigrating is hard. I had to go through bullies and anxiety and utter loneliness to fit in. But now I am perfectly settled and you will be fine too!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.