Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm new here so apologies if I don't get the hang of things right away.

I've decided to take a year out from a really great medical school next year for various reasons, some financial. I'm a mature student with a few degrees already under my belt, and medicine is my retirement career so I'm doing it at a pace that suits me.

The thing is, I'm drawn to teaching, and a lot of extremely well paid summer jobs etc (i.e. with the kids of billionaires and oligarchs) often are helped by having QTS (Qualified Teacher Status). I was thinking of using the year to do a PGSE, or a paid schools direct post which would leave you with QTS. It would mean that I would be in a really good place to teach when I return to med school i.e. on weekends/holidays.

I've also volunteered as a teacher and I really like it. Not as much as I love medicine, but it's a good skill to have and utilises my first degree (English).

The question is - if I'm on an interruption from medical school, would UCAS allow me to apply to a teacher training course like Schools Direct?

Thanks for anyone who can help!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by postbrexitdayz)
    Hello,

I'm new here so apologies if I don't get the hang of things right away.

I've decided to take a year out from a really great medical school next year for various reasons, some financial. I'm a mature student with a few degrees already under my belt, and medicine is my retirement career so I'm doing it at a pace that suits me.

The thing is, I'm drawn to teaching, and a lot of extremely well paid summer jobs etc (i.e. with the kids of billionaires and oligarchs) often are helped by having QTS (Qualified Teacher Status). I was thinking of using the year to do a PGSE, or a paid schools direct post which would leave you with QTS. It would mean that I would be in a really good place to teach when I return to med school i.e. on weekends/holidays.

I've also volunteered as a teacher and I really like it. Not as much as I love medicine, but it's a good skill to have and utilises my first degree (English).

The question is - if I'm on an interruption from medical school, would UCAS allow me to apply to a teacher training course like Schools Direct?

Thanks for anyone who can help!
    I'm confused, do you want to be a doctor or a teacher? You won't have time to teach part-time on weekends/holidays while you're studying medicine (and even if you did, what schools are open on the weekends?), and you'll have even less time as a junior doctor. You don't need a PGCE to do private tuition (none of my tutors had PGCEs and they were registered with a really good agency) - if you want to earn a bit of extra money, I suggest you do that instead.

It's not really up to UCAS, you should speak to your university and Student Finance. If they have no objections then you can do it. I'm not sure how (or whether) having a PGCE will affect your student finance entitlement for the rest of your medicine degree, you'd definitely need to check that out before you do anything else.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.