Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I wonder if someone can help me. I am 24 years old and I am considering doing an access to higher education course in engineering.

I hope to get the necessary grades to then progress to a degree in Aerospacial/Aeronautical Eng.

I have pretty much missed the Access to HE entry this year which now leaves me to wait in the cold until September 2018...

I wonder if there is an alternative to waiting?
    What do you recommend me doing until then? (Other than working full time, which I am doing)

Also, how does it really work, the access to HE course? I have never been enrolled in any UK school so I am confused about the modules of study and how the course is assessed. I am planning to enroll in Access to HE: Engineering.

After I complete the course and provided I get the necessary grades, would I need to do a Foundation year or could I go straight to the Degree in Aerospacial/Aeronautical Eng.?

For those that take time to answer me, a big thanl you!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by elecEng)
    Hi there. I wonder if someone can help me. I am 24 years old and I am considering doing an access to higher education course in engineering.

I hope to get the necessary grades to then progress to a degree in Aerospacial/Aeronautical Eng.

I have pretty much missed the Access to HE entry this year which now leaves me to wait in the cold until September 2018...

What do you recommend me doing until then? (Other than working full time, which I am doing)

Also, how does it really work, the access to HE course? I have never been enrolled in any UK school so I am confused about the modules of study and how the course is assessed. I am planning to enroll in Access to HE: Engineering.

After I complete the course and provided I get the necessary grades, would I need to do a Foundation year or could I go straight to the Degree in Aerospacial/Aeronautical Eng.?

You need to look at entrance requirements on different unis web pages about what they require.

Be aware that they arent that impressed by Access courses as far as I recall as they are only one year. They may require A level maths as well at A grade. They might let yolou onto a curse with foundation year, but you might struggle to get onto the main course directly. Yur research will give you the full picture. If that is correct, then you can:

1. Do A level Maths or start.
    2. Start getting suitable wrk experience or a portfolio suitavble for your course and application.
    3. Research what you have to do and where to apply.

http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/F...ptcookies=true
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

An Access to HE can be sufficient for some universities. Others may also ask for A-level Maths as well.

Just check the requirements at some universities that interest you to see what they need.

Do you live in the UK? Try visiting some university Open Days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both, 999tiger and doonesbury.

I'm visiting an open day definitely, just trying to get my head around some other things in the meantime.

in terms of work experience, what do you suggest 999tiger?

Also, I know it sounds silly, but I do wish to finish my degree - masters or not - before I'm 30. That leaves me 6 years to do it, now when I considered the access to HE course I was amazed at the fact it only takes 1 year. Now that you say there's a possibility I will have to do a 2 years a-level, leaves me a bit disappointed...

I reckon there's no other way around it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both, 999tiger and doonesbury.

I'm visiting an open day definitely, just trying to get my head around some other things in the meantime.

in terms of work experience, what do you suggest 999tiger?

Also, I know it sounds silly, but I do wish to finish my degree - masters or not - before I'm 30. That leaves me 6 years to do it, now when I considered the access to HE course I was amazed at the fact it only takes 1 year. Now that you say there's a possibility I will have to do a 2 years a-level, leaves me a bit disappointed...

I reckon there's no other way around it?
    A foundation year won't require A-level maths.

Alternatively some don't ask for it anyway, eg http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/aeros...ce-technology4

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    A foundation year won't require A-level maths.

Alternatively some don't ask for it anyway, eg http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/aeros...ce-technology4

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aren't you a lifesaver! Well, I confess Herts is not the university I was considering but considering the costs of living in London and how low budget students are, I guess I could do with less expensive cities!

On a serious note, I'd be happier to study in London.. but if it comes to moving out I'll just have to do it, I guess.

You have been really helpful Doonesbury.

Are you studying at the moment? Just curious.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you a lifesaver! Well, I confess Herts is not the university I was considering but considering the costs of living in London and how low budget students are, I guess I could do with less expensive cities!

On a serious note, I'd be happier to study in London.. but if it comes to moving out I'll just have to do it, I guess.

You have been really helpful Doonesbury.

Are you studying at the moment? Just curious.

Kingston is basically London... http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergradu...uirements.html

PS. I'm a parent not a student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Kingston is basically London... http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergradu...uirements.html

PS. I'm a parent not a student
    True! Kingston could be a choice, definitely.

Fantastic!

Thanks a lot for your answers, there's a lot I don't understand but, you've definitely helped me.

ReputationRep:
    If your going to do A-level maths you might as well do a level 3 BTEC in engineering which also takes 2 years - since it's more highly valued than the access to HE in engineering. For instance if you get D*D*D* in the BTEC and A* in A-level maths you have met the minimum requirements to apply to Oxbridge .

Doing a BTEC is all about coursework so if you put in the time to write assignments you can get D*D*D* with no problems. However most of the Russel Group unis would be happy with just D* D D in the BTEC and an A in A-level maths.

Just a suggestion! ^_^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.