Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it necessary to write about lack of relevant work experience on my personal statement? I am applying for Biomedical Science courses, but don't have any lab based work experience, both in hospital labs or in the classroom. I wasn't going to mention it, but not sure now? Cheers in advance!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely advise against it. Personal statements are for positive things! They won't expect you to have experience as it's generally not very easy to get lab experience before university. Maybe just talk about a book you have or could read that's based on biomed
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    I'd definitely advise against it. Personal statements are for positive things! They won't expect you to have experience as it's generally not very easy to get lab experience before university. Maybe just talk about a book you have or could read that's based on biomed
    Ok thank you so much, I agree with you there!

I've not really done any wider reading as such but I have mentioned a personal experience which made me look more into the background of an illness in the "biomedical sense", I suppose?

I've basically reached the character limit, so do you think that would do for the kind of wider reading aspect of it, I think that's essentially what I've done?

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    You really need to sell yourself for everything good that you've done, why you're an amazing candidate and why you should have the place over someone else. Saying something negative about not having done something will not add to your statement at all so do not belong anywhere near your personal statement. Here is a link to a fantastic video on how to write a great personal statement: (This helped me a lot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQ3MJgdkJY
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonygirl102)
    Ok thank you so much, I agree with you there!

I've not really done any wider reading as such but I have mentioned a personal experience which made me look more into the background of an illness in the "biomedical sense", I suppose?

I've basically reached the character limit, so do you think that would do for the kind of wider reading aspect of it, I think that's essentially what I've done?

Thanks again!
    You're very welcome!

That's absolutely fine, as long as you've explained why you really want to do the course and your reasons etc, that should be good enough

No you should be okay by the sounds of it

Good luck with your application!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    You're very welcome!

That's absolutely fine, as long as you've explained why you really want to do the course and your reasons etc, that should be good enough

No you should be okay by the sounds of it

Good luck with your application!
    Ok brilliant.

I think I'm going to leave it the way it is, and sold myself in the best way possible!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.H.Rahman)
    You really need to sell yourself for everything good that you've done, why you're an amazing candidate and why you should have the place over someone else. Saying something negative about not having done something will not add to your statement at all so do not belong anywhere near your personal statement. Here is a link to a fantastic video on how to write a great personal statement: (This helped me a lot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQ3MJgdkJY
    Thanks for your response.

I will take a look

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.