Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to go into a career in business, so think the course would be a good fit. I have just started my A levels, so am looking around at courses. I achieved 4A*s 4A'S and 2B's at GCSE and am taking A-levels in history, politics, economics, and geography. I am slightly concerned as I am finding economics quite challenging and am considering dropping it, will this mean I will struggle? Also, i am not very good at maths, and got a B at GCSE, will this mean I will further find it difficult? But I have heard that for example Exeter only has 10 taught hours a week, so you have a lot of time to review, is this the same for most unis?

thanks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigspeller)
    I want to go into a career in business, so think the course would be a good fit. I have just started my A levels, so am looking around at courses. I achieved 4A*s 4A'S and 2B's at GCSE and am taking A-levels in history, politics, economics, and geography. I am slightly concerned as I am finding economics quite challenging and am considering dropping it, will this mean I will struggle? Also, i am not very good at maths, and got a B at GCSE, will this mean I will further find it difficult? But I have heard that for example Exeter only has 10 taught hours a week, so you have a lot of time to review, is this the same for most unis?

thanks.
    Hi bigspeller

Great to hear that you are interested in Business and Management. I currently study Business Management and Marketing at NTU.

From personal experience of my course, the first year in particular is used as a way to get everyone up to speed. As most universities won't require you to have done Business as A-Level, it is a useful year to bring everyone up to the same level, so I wouldn't worry about struggling at Economics. Again, your B in GCSE Maths should be fine as again they won't specifically ask you for a Maths A-level and therefore you won't be expected to have an extensive knowledge of Maths.

In my first and second year we had around 12-15 hours of contact time - but this will vary at different universities so I would contact the one's you are interested in for any specific information

I am currently on a placement year - something that I am finding really helpful and something that I am really glad that I chose to do. My advice would be to try and look for courses that do offer work experience/placement opportunities.

If I can help you any further - give me a shout

Chris - NTU Rep

ReputationRep:
    The most challenging modules you'll study are the Accounting/Finance/Stats etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.