Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hmg12344)
    My dream is to study Medicine at university. I would like some advice on whether I should take double Science or Triple Science as my school offers both. I am just wondering if I didn't do Triple would this put me at a disadvantage ? Thank you very much. All replies appreciated greatly!
    Double if you want it easier for GCSE (so you can get better grades)
    Triple if you are really interested in all 3 sciences (grade can go down as there are 3 exams and 1 coursework paper instead of 2 exams for double)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! Do you finding that there is a lot more to learn/ more work(content) compared to double award?
    No problem! Choosing subjects can be a big decision, so I'm more than happy to help out
    There's more content, yes. The level of content is largely what distinguishes double from triple. The content is not difficult, but there's just more of it. However, if you're doing triple, you'll get more lessons of science a week, so it's not difficult to learn it all tbh, plus you get an extra qualification That, and it'll leave you better equipped to pursue your dream in medicine imo
    Btw, regardless of which you ultimately choose, I definitely recommend you pick up the CGP textbook relevant to the exam board your school is doing at the start of year 10. I'm on track to getting 9s in the sciences, and I largely owe that to these books totally recommend

ReputationRep:
    TRIPLE
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    yh sorry if it sounded like i was being rude , that came out wrong
    No worries at all, it didn't sound like you were being rude
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    why are people saying that do whichever one you get better marks in you should do? as far as i know, triple is what you need to go for! the more academically able students do triple science and you get three gcse's out of it for each individual science, however in double you only get 2. triple material overlaps some AS content (vaguely) eg titration in chemistry and organic chemistry. If you want to go for medicine, i fully recommend you take up triple science. the triple component is easy anyway and the grade boundaries are so low anyway, one paper i got 50% and still got an A.

i also agree with what Mikos has said above! good luck
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    My dream is to study Medicine at university. I would like some advice on whether I should take double Science or Triple Science as my school offers both. I am just wondering if I didn't do Triple would this put me at a disadvantage ? Thank you very much. All replies appreciated greatly!
    For studying medicine, double since is okay when biology and chemistry are combined. If you attend to study medicine engineering or intend to work in this profession, I would add the third science.

ReputationRep:
    Triple science isn't really that much more than double. I did triple and it was just a paragraph or two more per topic and you get a whole GCSE out of it.

ReputationRep:
    It would be highly recommended to do triple as you would have a better foundation for A-levels than double (mostly the case). I've seen in my current A-level class for Chemistry, in particular double students struggle and have to do additional work than those of triple, who have the knowledge from specific topics related to triple.

But by all means, its up to you and whether you are capable of handling the additional workload (involving science) in triple.

Nonetheless, best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do any kind of science based course, it would be silly (in my opinion) to not take triple. It help at A-Level too, especially considering you will be taking Biology and Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't essential, but remember that triple covers more content which might be very useful when you continue to A-level. If you feel you want the extra content and can keep up, do triple, but don't feel like you have to.

Remember that not all schools offer triple, so medical schools can't require that you do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikos)
    No problem! Choosing subjects can be a big decision, so I'm more than happy to help out
    There's more content, yes. The level of content is largely what distinguishes double from triple. The content is not difficult, but there's just more of it. However, if you're doing triple, you'll get more lessons of science a week, so it's not difficult to learn it all tbh, plus you get an extra qualification That, and it'll leave you better equipped to pursue your dream in medicine imo
    Btw, regardless of which you ultimately choose, I definitely recommend you pick up the CGP textbook relevant to the exam board your school is doing at the start of year 10. I'm on track to getting 9s in the sciences, and I largely owe that to these books totally recommend
    You have been so helpful I honestly cannot thank you enough!

ReputationRep:
    You have been so helpful I honestly cannot thank you enough!
    No problem at all! I'm glad to help. Again, if you need any other help/information about the courses or GCSE advice in general, don't hesitate to ask

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.