Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me their experience at Newcastle Uni. I applied there on a whim and I haven't been able to visit as I live so far away. It does brilliantly in the league tables for my course (Fine Art), which is what drew me to it, but I also obviously want to know about everyday life.

• what is the campus like?
    • what is nightlife/music scene/Student Union like?
    • are there any good opportunities (e.g studying subjects outside of your major department, help finding jobs, study abroad, etc...)?
    • what is the first-year student accommodation (halls) like, and how good is general housing for the other years?

I would be grateful if anyone could answer any of these questions, and also any info about the Fine Art BA itself is more than welcome! I have also applied to Leeds Uni, Manchester Met, Lancaster Uni.

Hannah

ReputationRep:
    I currently live in Newcastle so can answer some of the above questions, the campus is in the city centre so really close to all the shops, cinema, and metro which is really good for getting around. The campus is also really pretty I think, and most buildings within walking distance. Nightlife is the best in the country!!! Not sure on the rest of the questions as I'm not a student at the university but hope this helps!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Han_wilson)
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me their experience at Newcastle Uni. I applied there on a whim and I haven't been able to visit as I live so far away. It does brilliantly in the league tables for my course (Fine Art), which is what drew me to it, but I also obviously want to know about everyday life.

• what is the campus like?
    • what is nightlife/music scene/Student Union like?
    • are there any good opportunities (e.g studying subjects outside of your major department, help finding jobs, study abroad, etc...)?
    • what is the first-year student accommodation (halls) like, and how good is general housing for the other years?

I would be grateful if anyone could answer any of these questions, and also any info about the Fine Art BA itself is more than welcome! I have also applied to Leeds Uni, Manchester Met, Lancaster Uni.

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

I am a recent History graduate from Newcastle Uni and lived there for the entirety of my degree, so I will be able to answer some of the questions you have!

Firstly, I think the campus is extremely beautiful; I particularly like the red brick buildings as they are really impressive and really show the history and prestige of the uni. The campus itself is right inside the city centre, so is in the perfect location.

The nightlife is famous for being one of the best in the country and it does not disappoint! Whatever type of music you are into you will be able to find something for you, there are different clubs and bars for different music tastes. The Student Union is pretty active; they are always putting on different events throughout the year and there are over 200 societies for you to join or you can create your own!

There are many opportunities to study outside of your major department, I didn’t personally but I know plenty of people who did. Typically you would study a subject that compliments your own, for example History and Politics. With regards to study abroad we have links to over 250 institutions worldwide, I have friends who went to Canada, US, Spain and Australia. Our Careers Service is award winning and can help you with everything you can imagine regarding careers both whilst at university and for three years after.

There is a great mixture of student accommodation in your first year for whatever your budget is. I stayed in Marris House, it was self-catered with a shared bathroom but I absolutely loved it there. It was in a great location being about a 10 minute walk from campus. Most of the accommodations are within a 15 minute walk of campus, so you needn’t worry about the distance. After first year, there are plenty of options but most students tend to go for Jesmond or Heaton. I lived in Jesmond for both second and third year. Compared to other student areas in the country it is extremely safe and nice, and affordable compared to other places. My sisters go to Edinburgh and York and my accommodation was considerably cheaper than theirs. There is also an accommodation service on campus which can offer help and advice regarding where to live.

Hope this has answered your questions! Newcastle is an incredible place to be a student and if you decide to come here, you will absolutely love it!

Matt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattnewcgrad)
    Hi Hannah,

I am a recent History graduate from Newcastle Uni and lived there for the entirety of my degree, so I will be able to answer some of the questions you have!

Firstly, I think the campus is extremely beautiful; I particularly like the red brick buildings as they are really impressive and really show the history and prestige of the uni. The campus itself is right inside the city centre, so is in the perfect location.

The nightlife is famous for being one of the best in the country and it does not disappoint! Whatever type of music you are into you will be able to find something for you, there are different clubs and bars for different music tastes. The Student Union is pretty active; they are always putting on different events throughout the year and there are over 200 societies for you to join or you can create your own!

There are many opportunities to study outside of your major department, I didn’t personally but I know plenty of people who did. Typically you would study a subject that compliments your own, for example History and Politics. With regards to study abroad we have links to over 250 institutions worldwide, I have friends who went to Canada, US, Spain and Australia. Our Careers Service is award winning and can help you with everything you can imagine regarding careers both whilst at university and for three years after.

There is a great mixture of student accommodation in your first year for whatever your budget is. I stayed in Marris House, it was self-catered with a shared bathroom but I absolutely loved it there. It was in a great location being about a 10 minute walk from campus. Most of the accommodations are within a 15 minute walk of campus, so you needn’t worry about the distance. After first year, there are plenty of options but most students tend to go for Jesmond or Heaton. I lived in Jesmond for both second and third year. Compared to other student areas in the country it is extremely safe and nice, and affordable compared to other places. My sisters go to Edinburgh and York and my accommodation was considerably cheaper than theirs. There is also an accommodation service on campus which can offer help and advice regarding where to live.

Hope this has answered your questions! Newcastle is an incredible place to be a student and if you decide to come here, you will absolutely love it!

Matt
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write this, Matt. You have been so, so helpful!

I can only hope that Newcastle offer me an interview now, as you have made it sound like a wonderful uni to attend!

Thanks again,

Hannah

ReputationRep:
    No problem whatsoever!

I hope they do; I am sure you will have a fantastic time there, just as I did!

Matt

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 22, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.