The Student Room Group

Music vs. Computer Science in GCSE

My son is in year 8. In guitar he passed grade IV and in Piano he will sit in grade-IV test this month. Can someone suggest which one is easier to score more in GCSE?
Reply 1
Computer science is probably one of the hardest GCSEs going.

Music easily, especially if he has a talent for it.
I did computer science last year- the coursework is time consuming (less so for your son as it's only 25% of the GCSE). The exam content isn't too hard, but it will have gotten harder since I last did it and we had an actual computer science teacher (albeit he didn't teach us everything we needed to know for the exam) and there are a shortage of those. Schools usually use IT teachers.

It is an interesting subject though, but if your son is more interested in music and is talented, I would go for that. I'm not sure about the contents of the exam but it will definitely be easier to learn.

Hope this helps.
Which would he prefer to do?

If he does music as a hobby, he might want to take CS.

Contrary to the poster above, languages and humanities are no more valuable than cs.
CompSci is obviously harder
but also opens more career opportunities
If he's passionate for music then I guess go ahead
if he wants a high paying job CompSci is a good choice
Original post by condused_parents
My son is in year 8. In guitar he passed grade IV and in Piano he will sit in grade-IV test this month. Can someone suggest which one is easier to score more in GCSE?

Which exam board? Did he also pass the theory part of the music grades or just the performance part?

If he's performing at grade IV standard, then he will have no problems with the solo performance part of the GCSE in either instrument.

GCSE music also covers other written material including his own compositions, vocal music, stage and screen, heritage, music technology etc. This is a common part of the curriculum and is not instrument specific.

Whichever instrument he feels most connected to will give him the best chance because music is about communication and expression.

The main thing though, is that music is enjoyable if he likes music and enjoys playing. That is the most valuable part because it gives him a respite and is very different from the drudgery of CS.

Indeed, if he aspires to university, then diversity is an advantage because he can sell his versatility rather than as just a one-trick STEM pony.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by bookloverlolly
I did computer science last year- the coursework is time consuming (less so for your son as it's only 25% of the GCSE). The exam content isn't too hard, but it will have gotten harder since I last did it and we had an actual computer science teacher (albeit he didn't teach us everything we needed to know for the exam) and there are a shortage of those. Schools usually use IT teachers.

It is an interesting subject though, but if your son is more interested in music and is talented, I would go for that. I'm not sure about the contents of the exam but it will definitely be easier to learn.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your suggestion. I did engineering in computer science and I can help. He wants to take music and we were thinking for music only. But someone was telling that getting A/A* is very difficult in music. So we are confused now.
I'd say Computer Science as I personally prefer it. However you will have to be up for lots of coursework - at least that's what I had to go through when I was doing it 2 years ago. I also did Music, but I personally didn't like it very much. They're very different subjects so make sure to pick what you really prefer!
Reply 8
Music GCSE curriculum has changed now but music will probably still be easier. If he already can play an instrument that will help but a lot of music GCSE is composition and just learning information about music. If he has an ear for writing and is willing to study the pieces and already has some theory knowledge then music shouldn't be too challenging.
If he is more passionate about coding or needs it for a career I would suggest that, but computer science is more reliant on having a good teacher and it may not be necessary if he doesn't want to go into that field. At the end of the day he has to study it for two years, so let him choose whichever he would more enjoy.
Personally I enjoyed music more but it does have a high coursework content.

My friends are doing Music GCSE at the moment (we are in Year 11) and they said that it gets quite tedious and a lot of the time they are repeating stuff that they have already done every lesson.
Most of the time, you don't even need to do computer science A-Level to do it at uni.

At GCSE lets be honest - grades are more important than subjects, unless the sixth form has required subjects for a certain course.

Just do what he would enjoy - you are more likely to be good at something you enjoy. If you enjoy something you will put more work in etc and look forward to the lesson rather than dread it.

And more importantly - it's his choice. Let him do what he wants to - not what you think he will get a better grade in.
(edited 6 years ago)

I sat my Music GCSE this year so the spec was different. However, I really enjoyed the course and I'm pretty sure Grade 4 is good enough for the new GCSE and he'll have time to learn repertoire for higher grades if needed. However, I would recommend reading the specification of the exam. To my understanding, there is an aspect of dictation in the new GCSE and this may be off-putting. With the whole "it's difficult to get an A*" ideology, I still managed. Don't forget that the final grade is calculated through composition, performance and appraising all combined.

As for Computer Science, I'm not so sure but I hope that helped!

Music is actually quite theory based. Being good at an instrument doesn’t get you that far in terms of the actual GCSE.

It really depends on which he’d rather. Some may find Computer science really difficult, some may say it wasn’t too hard.

☺️
Music was super easy, and computer science was difficult, but it was very rewarding.
Don't give up the guitar or piano!! I really wish I could play either of them!

Quick Reply

Latest