Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could I have offended my friend? Watch

Announcements

I have a male friend who began going bald 2 years ago, at 23. At first he was understandably insecure and wore beanie hats a lot; it was quite noticeable around the temples and on the crown.

He used to make comments about it and was quite bothered by it and I'd always try my best to reassure him that it was fine, not that noticeable and that he was great like that.

Anyway, I saw him last week for the first time in a while. His hair seemed a lot thicker than it had done previously and the bald patches less noticable.

I didn't want to say in person as I knew he was sensitive but I thought he'd feel reassured if I told him, so I told him what I thought in a message after I left, as I thought it would make him happy.

THat was almost a week ago; he's seen the message and hasn't replied. He's still online etc. and he normally always replies within a day or or less..

I don't understand why he's ignoring me; maybe I should have said nothing as I know he's insecure about it, but I thought that what I said would give him a confidence boost and make him happy, what do others think? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Go see him in person, online doesn't really give proper reason

(Original post by Westham315)
    Go see him in person, online doesn't really give proper reason
    I saw him in person a week ago; he lives quite far so can't see him often. I thought telling him by message would be better as I didn't want to upset him or anything by drawing attention to it in person..

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it- you had good intentions! I think what I would do is tell him that you are a bit concerned at what he might have thought or that he could have misinterpreted your message. Then hopefully that will clear things up and he can be sure that you were only trying to boost his confidence as this was something that he was conscious of before. Hopefully, he will see that you were trying to be a good friend! Or perhaps he just doesn't know what to reply- you could text him something else off this topic and see if he responds to that, as he may just feel awkward and may not know what to reply

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.