The Student Room Group

Grow Your Grades: A Sixth Form Story

I realise that I'm a little late in starting my entry for Grow Your Grades, but who cares, it's here now!
Hi, I'm John:wavey:! I'm a sixth form student at a school in Northern Ireland. In September I started my A-Levels, so I thought it would be a good idea to document my progress in blog form as the year goes on, and hopefully end in some fab results in August time!

A bit of background:

Spoiler

Academic Info:

Spoiler

Extra-Curricular

Spoiler

Uni - and all that stuff

Spoiler

Aims for the Year

Spoiler

Ok, so I think that's everything you may possibly need to know about me for now, but who knows' I've probably forgotten to tell you something really important about myself! Anyway, please enjoy my blog, comment away (any tips or tricks will be taken on :smile:), and follow or watch or ask me to tag you for each update (I'm not really with the TSR lingo and etiquette lol). I'll probably post once or twice a week, but there will probably be mini updates in between times!
Until my next post, Ciao!!
good luck! :smile:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
good luck! :smile:

I'll be following you! How does it feel like living on a farm?!?! It must be so cool and cosy!:biggrin:
(Also you can check out my gyg is you want!)
Original post by johnatschool
I realise that I'm a little late in starting my entry for Grow Your Grades, but who cares, it's here now!
Hi, I'm John:wavey:! I'm a sixth form student at a school in Northern Ireland. In September I started my A-Levels, so I thought it would be a good idea to document my progress in blog form as the year goes on, and hopefully end in some fab results in August time!

A bit of background:

Spoiler

Academic Info:

Spoiler

Extra-Curricular

Spoiler

Uni - and all that stuff

Spoiler

Aims for the Year

Spoiler

Ok, so I think that's everything you may possibly need to know about me for now, but who knows' I've probably forgotten to tell you something really important about myself! Anyway, please enjoy my blog, comment away (any tips or tricks will be taken on :smile:), and follow or watch or ask me to tag you for each update (I'm not really with the TSR lingo and etiquette lol). I'll probably post once or twice a week, but there will probably be mini updates in between times!
Until my next post, Ciao!!

Omg you’re back!! :woo: really looking forward to following this as I loved your other ones :thumbsup: Good luck with this year!

Spoiler

Original post by A.N123
I'll be following you! How does it feel like living on a farm?!?! It must be so cool and cosy!:biggrin:
(Also you can check out my gyg is you want!)

Thanks!! I can tell you're probably a townie by the fact you think a farm is cosy, it's very mucky and cold and wet - but at the same time very cool and brilliant and great!
I'll definitely go and check out your GYG thread once I come back in (from the farm lol) 😀
Thanks!! I can tell you're probably a townie by the fact you think a farm is cosy, it's very mucky and cold and wet - but at the same time very cool and brilliant and great!
I'll definitely go and check out your GYG thread once I come back in (from the farm lol) 😀

Np! Yes i live in a village haha! I would love to look after the animals but i get your point about it getting mucky! Reason i dont like gardening! 😂😂😂
Thank You for considering my gyg!
Original post by Protostar
Omg you’re back!! :woo: really looking forward to following this as I loved your other ones :thumbsup: Good luck with this year!

Spoiler

ofcourse i remember you, niamh!! (oh god is that how you spell your name)?
yeah sorry for the hiatus, i was trying to spend less time on the computer lol. You really are too kind, hopefully this years blog merts and exceeds expectations!! 😁
Original post by A.N123
Np! Yes i live in a village haha! I would love to look after the animals but i get your point about it getting mucky! Reason i dont like gardening! 😂😂😂
Thank You for considering my gyg!

I have a love/hate relationship to the farm lol, yes its mucky and some animals can be right asses (not the donkey kind lol), but when you see a little newborn calf, you fall in love with it and farming again!
Eww. Gardening.

Spoiler

I was thinking how I could suck you all in to my blog and I just thought ... 20161224_204222-compressed.jpg.jpeg
ofcourse i remember you, niamh!! (oh god is that how you spell your name)?
yeah sorry for the hiatus, i was trying to spend less time on the computer lol. You really are too kind, hopefully this years blog merts and exceeds expectations!! 😁

:awesome: you do! (yes it is :tongue:)
that's okay! i'm sure it will do :yep:
:awesome: you do! (yes it is :tongue:)
that's okay! i'm sure it will do :yep:

gosh no pressure then! 🤣
I'll do my best, I'm looking forward to it lol
I was thinking how I could suck you all in to my blog and I just thought ... 20161224_204222-compressed.jpg.jpeg

OMG THEY ARE THE CUTEST THINGS I'VE SEEN!!!!!! I JUST WANT TO JUMP THROUGH MY SCREEN ANS HUG THEM!!!!!!! THE LITTLE ANGLES BLESS! Now i reallly want to live on a farm haha. There's a duck pond where i live so i guess i'll just have to stick with them!:clap2::clap2::cute::cute::grin::grin::hugs::littleangel::lol::thumbsup:💗💗💗
Thats how to advertise a gyg!

Chapter 1:

The Report Card

Seeing as I titled my blog "A Sixth Form Story", I may as well continue the analogy :tongue:As you probably guessed from the title, this post is about my termly report card. I think this would also be a good time to discuss what I did during my first term of A-Levels. My school uses a "traffic light" system for grades, and I'll try to copy that throughout this post (although I really don't like this system - see the end of the post).

English:

Spoiler

TLDR; Love English, we spent the first term on drama (A Streetcar Named Desire) and we were assessed on an essay that we wrote.
Grade: B

History:

Spoiler

TLDR; Even though we're studying the same stuff as GCSE, I'm still loving history, and I got full marks on my essay :biggrin:.
Grade: A*

Maths:

Spoiler

TLDR; My Maths teacher is brill, puns (you're going to have to read it now :h:) and I hate the equation for the area of a triangle.

Music:

Spoiler

TLDR; I was so disappointed when music became boring, but I'm still doing alright at it - 100%!

For reference, my target grades are all As.
I thought I might finish up by explaining why I don't really like our "traffic light" approach to grades. Whilst they do give parents a nice visual as to how us pupils are doing, it doesn't give them a full picture. Even if you're 1% below your target grade, you are flagged up as underachieving - and that is then referred to our Year Head. And when you are achieving your target grade, you are awarded an orange - even if your target grade is an A*! What I think would be much better (and fairer) would be to introduce a system where our percentage attained is sent out (instead of a very broad grade), and the colours could be revised so that if you're within, say 3-5% of your target percentage band (of maybe class width 5%), you receive an orange, and if you get above this (or above 90%) you automatically are given the "green light".

What do you guys think:
Is using a "traffic light" system a good way to give out reports?

That's me for this evening! This week has been very busy, so I'm planning on posting two more (maybe mini) updates tomorrow. Also, should I start a tag-list? You are more than welcome to join in the conversation, and I look forward to reading through any comments!
Ciao!!

Chapter 1:

The Report Card

Seeing as I titled my blog "A Sixth Form Story", I may as well continue the analogy :tongue:As you probably guessed from the title, this post is about my termly report card. I think this would also be a good time to discuss what I did during my first term of A-Levels. My school uses a "traffic light" system for grades, and I'll try to copy that throughout this post (although I really don't like this system - see the end of the post).

English:

Spoiler

TLDR; Love English, we spent the first term on drama (A Streetcar Named Desire) and we were assessed on an essay that we wrote.

History:

Spoiler

TLDR; Even though we're studying the same stuff as GCSE, I'm still loving history, and I got full marks on my essay :biggrin:.

Maths:

Spoiler

TLDR; My Maths teacher is brill, puns (you're going to have to read it now :h:) and I hate the equation for the area of a triangle.

Music:

Spoiler

TLDR; I was so disappointed when music became boring, but I'm still doing alright at it - 100%!

For reference, my target grades are all As.
I thought I might finish up by explaining why I don't really like our "traffic light" approach to grades. Whilst they do give parents a nice visual as to how us pupils are doing, it doesn't give them a full picture. Even if you're 1% below your target grade, you are flagged up as underachieving - and that is then referred to our Year Head. And when you are achieving your target grade, you are awarded an orange - even if your target grade is an A*! What I think would be much better (and fairer) would be to introduce a system where our percentage attained is sent out (instead of a very broad grade), and the colours could be revised so that if you're within, say 3-5% of your target percentage band (of maybe class width 5%), you receive an orange, and if you get above this (or above 90%) you automatically are given the "green light".

What do you guys think:
Is using a "traffic light" system a good way to give out reports?

That's me for this evening! This week has been very busy, so I'm planning on posting two more (maybe mini) updates tomorrow. Also, should I start a tag-list? You are more than welcome to join in the conversation, and I look forward to reading through any comments!
Ciao!!

Wow!! Great grades, well done! :thumbsup: I always found it so interesting how subject preferences change between GCSE and A Level - I absolutely loved Physics GCSE and now choosing it for A Level has to be my biggest regret :getmecoat: really glad you're loving English and History though! You'll learn to love maths :wink: Shame about Music though :sad: although you're still doing ridiculously well - 100% already! :headfire: well done!

EDIT: Traffic Light systems are crap and shouldn't be used :h: I like your method much better, but I also think hitting your target should be given much more praise than it is - they're targets for a reason and so to hit them is a huge achievement!

Tag list! Tag list! Tag list! :colondollar:
(edited 6 years ago)
Wow!! Great grades, well done! :thumbsup: I always found it so interesting how subject preferences change between GCSE and A Level - I absolutely loved Physics GCSE and now choosing it for A Level has to be my biggest regret :getmecoat: really glad you're loving English and History though! You'll learn to love maths :wink: Shame about Music though :sad: although you're still doing ridiculously well - 100% already! :headfire: well done!

Tag list! Tag list! Tag list! :colondollar:

It definitely is interesting how quickly we change our opinions of something when we approach it from a different angle. I could never have loved Physics as a subject, the banter in class was great but I barely understood the subject - definitely no regrets there 😁!
Tbh, I probably hyped myself up a bit too much for music, but it really is quite tedious this year! That 100% was a complete fluke and will in no way be repeated again, although the subject is generally easy. But maybe I'm not being challenged enough in it? Who knows!

I shall set up a tag list then!!!
It definitely is interesting how quickly we change our opinions of something when we approach it from a different angle. I could never have loved Physics as a subject, the banter in class was great but I barely understood the subject - definitely no regrets there 😁!
Tbh, I probably hyped myself up a bit too much for music, but it really is quite tedious this year! That 100% was a complete fluke and will in no way be repeated again, although the subject is generally easy. But maybe I'm not being challenged enough in it? Who knows!

I shall set up a tag list then!!!

Glad it's not just me who thought that! And no pls GCSE Physics was the best :cry2: so much Astronomy :heart: A Level is just boring stuff I don't care about :lol:
Ahhh yeah that can be a bit of a curse too! Even if you don't particularly enjoy it, at least you're good at it I suppose? Although I am the biggest hypocrite in saying that as I hate everything that doesn't interest me no matter how easy it is :emo: Wait and see as the year goes on, it may well get much harder and they could just be easing you in! :afraid:

:woo:
Glad it's not just me who thought that! And no pls GCSE Physics was the best :cry2: so much Astronomy :heart: A Level is just boring stuff I don't care about :lol:
Ahhh yeah that can be a bit of a curse too! Even if you don't particularly enjoy it, at least you're good at it I suppose? Although I am the biggest hypocrite in saying that as I hate everything that doesn't interest me no matter how easy it is :emo: Wait and see as the year goes on, it may well get much harder and they could just be easing you in! :afraid:

:woo:

We only did a tiny sub-section on astronomy - did I miss out?
Interest certainly helps massively when it comes to enjoying a subject. I'll remain hopeful that music will get better later on in the year!!
We only did a tiny sub-section on astronomy - did I miss out?
Interest certainly helps massively when it comes to enjoying a subject. I'll remain hopeful that music will get better later on in the year!!

We were blessed - 2 whole units on the stuff :daydreaming: living that OCR life :lol:
It really does :yep: fingers crossed for you! :crossedf:

Chapter 2
Rollercoaster day

School
We had a long weekend last week (our school takes Black Friday off :tongue:), so it gave me a perfect chance to do piles of revision.

Nah, just messing with you, I binge watched like a series of Game of Thrones :colondollar:

Well, I still did a fair bit of revision to be fair (I'll add pics when I'm on my phone in a while). I did 2 chapters of history revision, making very detailed and very colour-coordinated notes! But as I'm behind in English (lost my file with all my drama notes in it - which I still haven't re-done lol) I decided I needed to make some notes for that subject too. Because I generally find Poetry my hardest English module, I made sure I really understood what I was writing, and I have a very precise colour-coding system! My friend also lent me her revision grid, which I now fill out for each poem (she got full marks last year by doing the same so hopefully this pays off lol!).
As if that t enough wasn't enough done, I then wrote a (imo really good) English essay for homework (which the teacher didn't even collect so I'll ask him tomorrow to have a look at it), and then did a pile of Maths PPQs as we finished our first module (C1). For once, I didn't have music homework so I took a complete break from that!

Music
On Saturday, I had orchestra rehearsals for most of the day in preparation for our Christmas concert on Friday. I'm looking forward to it, and hopefully I don't mess up my mini solo!!
Last Thursday I did my Grade 8 Piano exam, and it went really well!

Life
This evening I got a call from my Piano Teacher. She had just got an email from ABRSM (the music exam board) about my exam! The results had come in. She told me to sit down and then she told me the news: I got a distinction!!! :woo:I was so excited, especially since it was my last Piano Grade, and I had never quite managed a distinction before! I was laughing and delighted for ages after!
And then I got a text from my friend who I's taking to Formal next month: Call me in an hour when you're free. I suddenly got nervous! I sat through my skype piano lesson with my new teacher (I got into a scholarship programme for Piano btw lol) half thinking about it!
Immediately after the lesson, I call my friend. We chat and laugh for 5 minutes before I ask what she wanted to talk about. It turns out her school scheduled her prize night on the same night of my Formal. And they wouldn't let her miss it as she has to sing and collect awards. She tried for a week to get out of it, but decided to tell me tonight. Whilst it's not ideal, I don't mind - I wasn't looking forward to the formal much because I have an orchestra audition in Belfast the following morning. But it did put a slight dampener on my evening!

Enough of the personal stories for now, I must leave y'all to do more English homework! Ciao!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending