Turn on thread page Beta

Going into teaching English as a future career, but how? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Good day to everyone reading this,

It's been a dream of mine to teach English as a foreign language abroad in Japan. Yet the means of achieving that dream are quite uncertain as I have read multiple sources stating that any uni course (with a certain focus on literary skills) is sufficient enough to teach English abroad. Whereas other sources have stated that a BA in English is required.

Could anyone help me out here? I really want to get into teaching English abroad, so I would appreciate any answer that can tell me what I should do exactly to become an English teacher. Studying education in uni, getting a BA in English and then working my way through experience or any alternatives?

Thank you in advance for your response.

ReputationRep:
    My mate went teaching English in a school in Thailand with just a TEFL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    My mate went teaching English in a school in Thailand with just a TEFL.
    Interesting, out of curiosity, will his TEFL be enough to keep him situated as a teacher for as long as wants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawazknaiver)
    Interesting, out of curiosity, will his TEFL be enough to keep him situated as a teacher for as long as wants?
    It seems so in that particular institution (I thought it was a bit odd myself, but I do know other people that have done the same), though they only stayed for a year.

In contrast, my cousin taught English in schools in Spain and has a wealth of qualifications, including teaching quals. She did that for many years, so maybe the route with some substantial qualifications makes for more longevity.

ReputationRep:
    It seems so in that particular institution (I thought it was a bit odd myself, but I do know other people that have done the same), though they only stayed for a year.

In contrast, my cousin taught English in schools in Spain and has a wealth of qualifications, including teaching quals. She did that for many years, so maybe the route with some substantial qualifications makes for more longevity.
    I see, and I assume the pay was sufficient enough to keep them afloat? Did they go for a masters in any other field at some point in their careers?

ReputationRep:
    I see, and I assume the pay was sufficient enough to keep them afloat? Did they go for a masters in any other field at some point in their careers?
    Cousin did, yes. Pay for TEFL person was, by all accounts, ok. Pay for my cousin was good. She only came back here after retiring.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help, this is much appreciated.
    Cousin did, yes. Pay for TEFL person was, by all accounts, ok. Pay for my cousin was good. She only came back here after retiring.

ReputationRep:
    Why Japan?

Do you watch anime or read manga?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heyok)
    Why Japan?

Do you watch anime or read manga?
    Yes, I essentially grew up exposed to anime and manga haha, but that aside. It's kind of been a dream just to make it there, the entire country is just so idyllic and beautiful to me.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

It's been a dream of mine to teach English as a foreign language abroad in Japan. Yet the means of achieving that dream are quite uncertain as I have read multiple sources stating that any uni course (with a certain focus on literary skills) is sufficient enough to teach English abroad. Whereas other sources have stated that a BA in English is required.

Could anyone help me out here? I really want to get into teaching English abroad, so I would appreciate any answer that can tell me what I should do exactly to become an English teacher. Studying education in uni, getting a BA in English and then working my way through experience or any alternatives?

Hi,

I'm studying English language at Sheffield Hallam University, and an optional module was TESOL which gives me a qualification to teach English as a second language. The other posters are right, you can teach English with just one of these qualifications (there are a few types: TESOL, TEFL, ESL, etc.), that you should look into. Some companies (I know this is true for EF English First) will offer you this qualification as part of the job they offer, and you don't need any other qualifications, you just need to go through the application process successfully. They also offer other courses during your teaching time to progress within the company itself, so there's always ways to improve and get more qualifications while you work.

If you don't want a degree and just want this career path then look into getting a qualification or browse some companies.

Ellie
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hey,

I think the entry-requirements for teaching English abroad differs largely. Some will require a degree and post-graduate training and others may only require a qualification such as TESOL or TEFL etc. Sheffield Hallam is really good for teaching and education - so I'll put you the link to the TESOL centre below:

https://www.shu.ac.uk/about-us/acade...e-tesol-centre

Hope this helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2017
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.