Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about taking a combined degree course, Japanese and Economics. But, I'm not sure what the difference is with 'Economics and Japanese' and 'Japanese and Economics' because on Soas's website it mentiones that a "Japanese and..." course requires AAB or ABB but the "Economics and..." course requires AAA or AAB. I've looked at the structure for the combined course with Economics but the content for the subject whether it comes first or second in the title is the same just arranged differently. So does that mean I can apply for the Japanese and Economics Course with lower-ish requirements and still receive the same content as the other course or is it just all the same?
    Sorry I tend to rant a lot but if you have any info on this it would be great to hear from you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kharaa)
    I'm thinking about taking a combined degree course, Japanese and Economics. But, I'm not sure what the difference is with 'Economics and Japanese' and 'Japanese and Economics' because on Soas's website it mentiones that a "Japanese and..." course requires AAB or ABB but the "Economics and..." course requires AAA or AAB. I've looked at the structure for the combined course with Economics but the content for the subject whether it comes first or second in the title is the same just arranged differently. So does that mean I can apply for the Japanese and Economics Course with lower-ish requirements and still receive the same content as the other course or is it just all the same?
    Sorry I tend to rant a lot but if you have any info on this it would be great to hear from you
    My guess would be 'Japanese and Economics' is more Japanese based than 'Economics and Japanese' with the latter being more econ focused?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.H.Rahman)
    My guess would be 'Japanese and Economics' is more Japanese based than 'Economics and Japanese' with the latter being more econ focused?
    Yeah, i had the same thoughts but the similarities in the modules for both the Economics threw me off and the Japanese modules remain the same for all the combined courses including Economics. If there were a major difference in the type of content or the focus on one more than the other, i havent found evidence of it on their site. The only difference i've noticed is that in the structure for "Economics and..." and "and Economics" the modules remain the same but are rearanged differently, which i do not getthe point of.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i had the same thoughts but the similarities in the modules for both the Economics threw me off and the Japanese modules remain the same for all the combined courses including Economics. If there were a major difference in the type of content or the focus on one more than the other, i havent found evidence of it on their site. The only difference i've noticed is that in the structure for "Economics and..." and "and Economics" the modules remain the same but are rearanged differently, which i do not getthe point of.
    The best advise I can give you right now is to email the University with this question yourself and see that they say tbh. :P
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi.

The order in which the programmes appear does not matter as they carry the same weight. The entry requirements for a combined degree would always go with the higher grade requirement. In this case it would be AAA - AAB.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Darryl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOAS Student Helper)
    Hi.

The order in which the programmes appear does not matter as they carry the same weight. The entry requirements for a combined degree would always go with the higher grade requirement. In this case it would be AAA - AAB.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Darryl
    😢 thanks for the response

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.