Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a really organised person, but am struggling to revise! Every time it comes to revising I struggle. I have all my revision books I just can’t find the right method for me! I even get terrible migraines and tension headaches from it. It’s unbearable. I have my mocks in exactly 2 weeks today! HELP WHAT DO I DO.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    hey hey, don't get overly stressed over them- they're mocks, not the real thing. what revision methods have you tried?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but if it helps, we're in the same boat here :|
    What works for me (or would work for me LOL) is small regular study sessions - A 10-20 minute revision routine on a daily basis. Not much but it's something. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    hey hey, don't get overly stressed over them- they're mocks, not the real thing. what revision methods have you tried?
    I’ve tried copying out notes- doesn’t work for me it’s literally like my mind goes blank!

I’ve tried just reading my guide, doesn’t help what so ever

Ive tried flash cards in the past but the ones I purchased were very small so I am willing to try again!

I like watching videos online and taking notes but then I don’t know what to do with them after.

I also like practice papers but they are really hard to get from my teachers :/

The next one on my list is to plan a lesson for that particular subject as if I am teaching it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amylololol)
    Sorry but if it helps, we're in the same boat here :|
    What works for me (or would work for me LOL) is small regular study sessions - A 10-20 minute revision routine on a daily basis. Not much but it's something. :/
    I think I might try that, I’ve been trying it in 1 hour sessions per subject and it’s really intense 😬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlieeexox_)
    I’ve tried copying out notes- doesn’t work for me it’s literally like my mind goes blank!

Ive tried flash cards in the past but the ones I purchased were very small so I am willing to try again!

I like watching videos online and taking notes but then I don’t know what to do with them after.

The next one on my list is to plan a lesson for that particular subject as if I am teaching it.
    don't just copy out notes- read them several times to make sure you understand the basic concepts etc

you should try flashcards again- they seem to work for most people and i find them very effective

have you tried mindmaps?

ReputationRep:
    Try relaxing a bit. Drink a herbal tea or something to calm you down.
    You're getting too overwhelmed. Split your revision into smaller parts.
    For example, do the first few topics in C1(Science) or Learn quotations and the context for a novel (English)
    Work on those small parts for a short amount of time, such as 20-30minutes and take a 5/10.minute break.
    For various revision techniques you can try:
    Making mindmaps
    Flashcards
    Recording yourself reading your notes
    Re writing notes
    Watching youtube videos about the topic
    Doing past papers
    Doing worksheets
    You can also look up on youtube what kind of learner you are and figure things out from there.
    They're just mocks, don't get too worked up over them. Good luck, you can do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    don't just copy out notes- read them several times to make sure you understand the basic concepts etc

you should try flashcards again- they seem to work for most people and i find them very effective

have you tried mindmaps?
    I am waiting to order some larger flash cards because I have particularly large hand writing! Yes I have actually. I like making them and making them pretty. But after that they just become stuck to my bedroom wall and I will read over the notes when I see them.

ReputationRep:
    I am a really organised person, but am struggling to revise! Every time it comes to revising I struggle. I have all my revision books I just can’t find the right method for me! I even get terrible migraines and tension headaches from it. It’s unbearable. I have my mocks in exactly 2 weeks today! HELP WHAT DO I DO.
    Maybe it's about time you ask your parents to find for you a tutor. Like if this is for GCSEs then the hourly rate is ranged between £25-£30. (They do help out quite a lot for most people - for me though i spent £60 per week, but was one of those lazy type of people... so the money was wasted on me.)

Try breaking down revision periods to fit in 5min breaks every 30-45mins (doesn't have to be after that period of time if you're streaking/enlightened - basically working out and absorbing the info in a special mental state, i've been there - so they do exist )

I still got an average grade of B when i was just plain reading from the book but mind you i did lots of past papers and that really helped consolidate my knowledge.

If worst comes to worst; then chill, lay back, relax and sleep/nap then try working again. (i use to wake up at midnight just to revise and it worked)

If i had to be honest though; i think you're just freaking out and stressing bare - that's probably the biggest reason you can't revise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxcherryzxx)
    Try relaxing a bit. Drink a herbal tea or something to calm you down.
    You're getting too overwhelmed. Split your revision into smaller parts.
    For example, do the first few topics in C1(Science) or Learn quotations and the context for a novel (English)
    Work on those small parts for a short amount of time, such as 20-30minutes and take a 5/10.minute break.
    For various revision techniques you can try:
    Making mindmaps
    Flashcards
    Recording yourself reading your notes
    Re writing notes
    Watching youtube videos about the topic
    Doing past papers
    Doing worksheets
    You can also look up on youtube what kind of learner you are and figure things out from there.
    They're just mocks, don't get too worked up over them. Good luck, you can do it
    I think I get so worked up about things because I can do it and get the good marks in my papers in the classroom and on my work. But when I go into the exam hall even just to sit a mock paper. I forget everything and become very overwhelmed. Thank you for some ideas I will defiantly try them! Also thank you for the support it really puts me at ease

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jang Gwangnam)
    Maybe it's about time you ask your parents to find for you a tutor. Like if this is for GCSEs then the hourly rate is ranged between £25-£30. (They do help out quite a lot for most people - for me though i spent £60 per week, but was one of those lazy type of people... so the money was wasted on me.)

Try breaking down revision periods to fit in 5min breaks every 30-45mins (doesn't have to be after that period of time if you're streaking/enlightened - basically working out and absorbing the info in a special mental state, i've been there - so they do exist )

I still got an average grade of B when i was just plain reading from teh bookbut mind you i did lots of past papers and that really helped consolidate my knowledge.

If worst comes to worst; then chill, lay back, relax and sleep/nap then try working again. (i use to wake up at midnight just to revise and it worked)

If i had to be honest though; i think you're just freaking out and stressing bare - that's probably the biggest reason you can't revise.
    I would love to get a tutor but my mum can’t afford it. I work and the money I get wouldn’t cover a tutor :/

I agree, I revise best when I’m at school in all honestly during my catchup lessons and my lunchtimes.

ReputationRep:

Oh my God, same here x_x It seems really difficult and I went through the same problem last year and because I stressed over literally everything in the end, despite having all the notes, papers, resources - I still f***ed up :| Main cause being stress which primarily resulted from very little revision/practice.
    So this year, I'm writing my own notes, making my own flashcards right after I'm done with the notes - everything little by little. No need to rush things. Other than that, once I'm done with the notes, I'll practice learning them by writing them over and over again on multiple rough registers until I'm completely comfortable with the whole topic and can handle any kind of questions from it - key points and notes help a ton and save a lot of time for this kind of practice.
    Once I'm done learning the topic, I take a self test - mainly solving past papers. This gives me more practice and confidence in solving actual test questions. So in the end, it's repeated practice and self tests and revision. I've only done this with physics so far and it dramatically improved my grades from last year. I went from a D to a B hope this helps a bit!

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God, same here x_x It seems really difficult and I went through the same problem last year and because I stressed over literally everything in the end, despite having all the notes, papers, resources - I still f***ed up :| Main cause being stress which primarily resulted from very little revision/practice.
    So this year, I'm writing my own notes, making my own flashcards right after I'm done with the notes - everything little by little. No need to rush things. Other than that, once I'm done with the notes, I'll practice learning them by writing them over and over again on multiple rough registers until I'm completely comfortable with the whole topic and can handle any kind of questions from it - key points and notes help a ton and save a lot of time for this kind of practice.
    Once I'm done learning the topic, I take a self test - mainly solving past papers. This gives me more practice and confidence in solving actual test questions. So in the end, it's repeated practice and self tests and revision. I've only done this with physics so far and it dramatically improved my grades from last year. I went from a D to a B hope this helps a bit!
    Wow! That’s amazing, such a brilliant achievement! Even thought I have never me you I am really proud I will defiantly try this method. I was really hoping to find a solid method before I join sixth form 😬 x

ReputationRep:
    Wow! That’s amazing, such a brilliant achievement! Even thought I have never me you I am really proud I will defiantly try this method. I was really hoping to find a solid method before I join sixth form 😬 x
    Glad to help! I'm in upper 6th atm, so I'm regretting everything I did when I started 6th form lmao - I stressed a bit too much and ended up sick and depressed before the day of the exam - and as a result didn't revise shite :| My advice would be to please, please, please build a routine that you can keep up with - revise as much as possible, test yourself as much as possible until you're satisfied with your prep and the entire thing is on your fingertips! I'm going to be doing this too, starting tomorrow! (Going to bed rn lololol) Best of luck, mate! And whatever you do, do NOT stress. Take it easy and go by your pace. You've got all the time you need, just read and revise and when you're done, ask yourself a question, get it right and give yourself a yummy cookie because you deserve it for your hard work. We all do, every now and then! As long as you're confident in your ability to solve a question, you'll do fine on the exams.

ReputationRep:

No need to get practice papers from your teachers. There should be plenty online - you just need to know where to get them from. What are you studying?

Also, you don't need to do complete papers. Individual practice questions (like those at the end of a chapter in a textbook) are good too.

ReputationRep:
    Glad to help! I'm in upper 6th atm, so I'm regretting everything I did when I started 6th form lmao - I stressed a bit too much and ended up sick and depressed before the day of the exam - and as a result didn't revise shite :| My advice would be to please, please, please build a routine that you can keep up with - revise as much as possible, test yourself as much as possible until you're satisfied with your prep and the entire thing is on your fingertips! I'm going to be doing this too, starting tomorrow! (Going to bed rn lololol) Best of luck, mate! And whatever you do, do NOT stress. Take it easy and go by your pace. You've got all the time you need, just read and revise and when you're done, ask yourself a question, get it right and give yourself a yummy cookie because you deserve it for your hard work. We all do, every now and then! As long as you're confident in your ability to solve a question, you'll do fine on the exams.
    Only just read this! But once again thank you so much for the advice, I also wish you well in your future studies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    No need to get practice papers from your teachers. There should be plenty online - you just need to know where to get them from. What are you studying?

Also, you don't need to do complete papers. Individual practice questions (like those at the end of a chapter in a textbook) are good too.
    Sorry I have only just seen this! I am studying English maths and the three sciences . I then picked Italian, drama, geography and sociology

ReputationRep:
    What are your favourite subjects? That could help you work out how to go about revision. Personally, I find it much easier to write an essay about something than just reciting facts, so since I study biology, I write an essay explaining how the electron transport chain works in photosynthesis, for example, rather than drawing it or writing the process in a bullet-point style. It makes more sense in my head that way.

If you enjoy arts, maybe using drawings to associate facts to images, or using colour coordination. If you like sciences, writing short questions in the style of a science exam and making yourself answer them. I found that tailoring my revision to the styles I like to learn in are the most effective. Also, before I get stuck into revision, I'll do a mind map of the topic to get a good overall, less in-depth view of the concepts so I don't get too overwhelmed from the start.

Good luck with your exams!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.