Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Help! We have to choose 4 A level subjects next week. I want to do medicine at Uni so I am doing Biology, chemistry and maths, but for my final option I'm pondering between Physics and Music. Any advice? In terms of music, I'm a Grade 8 violinist and pianist and looking to do a diploma. But I am also predicted an A* in Physics and seem really strong at GCSE . What do I choose?

ReputationRep:
    I think it mainly comes down to what you enjoy most.

You seem like a very strong musician but it could be possible that unis see a Music A-Level as redundant considering you are a grade 8.

A-Level Physics is quite enjoyable (I'm a bit biased) and is a facilitating subject, meaning it opens more doors for you if Medicine doesn't work out in the end.

Sorry if this hasn't really helped you make a decision

ReputationRep:
    You seem strong at both so go for the one you enjoy the most. Since you're taking 3 Science + Maths subjects, you have a large number of medical school options open to you. The fact you're taking Chemistry and Biology immediately gives you access to medical courses. I'm also aware UCL prefer candidates with contrasting A levels (so not all sciences, maybe a creative/humanity loving side) so look at individual university requirements and work with those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WarByte)
    I think it mainly comes down to what you enjoy most.

You seem like a very strong musician but it could be possible that unis see a Music A-Level as redundant considering you are a grade 8.

A-Level Physics is quite enjoyable (I'm a bit biased) and is a facilitating subject, meaning it opens more doors for you if Medicine doesn't work out in the end.

Sorry if this hasn't really helped you make a decision
    Thank you very much that was very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    If you do physics, you could keep doing music outside of a levels, like by playing your instruments, and so still get to do a bit of both? You already have what you need for medicine though, so just pick whichever you enjoy more, as you're going to have to spend a lot of time studying it

ReputationRep:
    Well you have what you need to get into your course so I'd suggest doing what you enjoy most since there are loads of people who get A* at GCSE Physics and then do terrible at A-Level Physics because the jump between the two is huge which is why many people in my school who got A* at GCSE have dropped. Personally, I'd say the jump from Physics GCSE to A-Level is much greater than other subjects.

Although I say this, I still find Physics very interesting and rewarding when you really get something and can do it so take it if you have genuine interest in it because if you want to succeed in any A-level, do it because you enjoy not because you have a good prediction.

If you enjoy Music more then definitely go for music! I'm sure it would be a good change of scene from memorising textbooks and understanding theories

ReputationRep:
    Im currently in my second year of alevels and personally I think that it is really important for you to choose at least one subject that you enjoy as a hobbie for example I choose art even though it has limited reference to my future career without this subject being one that I can enjoy so much alevels would be so much worst. If u enjoy music which it sounds that u are very talented at btw then choose it because when u start alevels u will realise u need a lesson to have fun and enjoy what u are doing. Hope this helps x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.