Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why low target grades are AMAZING Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Teachers have become notorious for setting targets well below student expectations, many may perceive this reality within the education system to be demotivating but in actual fact this can be of great benefit.

Seeing a solid set of flat results, which teachers devise with the conviction that you're actual results will mirror their predictions. This viewing acts as a jolt of awakening, which can urge students to contradict the set of grades which are truly not desired. Now an increasing number of students graduate from Yr11 with a GCSE results sheet far more superior than the teacher-imagined one.

Don't suck up to your predicted/target grades. FIGHT them.

Spoiler:
    Show

GCSE French
    Target grade: C
    Achieved A*

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, in my opinion predicted grades suck. I was always predicted low Cs (C-) and I came out of my GCSEs with As and Bs. I couldn't agree more with what you said, I hate it when I see people discouraged from trying harder because they achieved their target grade which was a C. 😞
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    But the real problem is, if those target grades have been submitted to UCAS, it could potentially RUIN your chances of getting into uni, even if you achieve the required grades, they may have already given all of the places away by clearing so you'll have to take a forced gap year, which is rrly unfair and I have heard about that kind of thing happening to people, I mean if ur predicted CCC but the course requires ABB, they're obviously not going to accept you and they can't tell the future or see how well you're actually doing.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's a good way to think about it

I'm pretty sure this is a known phenomenon in general- can't remember what it's called, but it has significant scientific backing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    Teachers have become notorious for setting targets well below student expectations, many may perceive this reality within the education system to be demotivating but in actual fact this can be of great benefit.

Seeing a solid set of flat results, which teachers devise with the conviction that you're actual results will mirror their predictions. This viewing acts as a jolt of awakening, which can urge students to contradict the set of grades which are truly not desired. Now an increasing number of students graduate from Yr11 with a GCSE results sheet far more superior than the teacher-imagined one.

Spoiler:
    Show

GCSE French
    Achieved A*

You sure schools are overall underpredicted because from what I've seen especially at my school - School's are overpredicting.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

GCSE French
    Achieved A*

this happened to me!

was predicted a C/B in english lit and i got an A*!

good post op

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

GCSE French
    Achieved A*

For GCSE, yep they can promote working harder.

For A-Level, predicted grades are everything. I agree that they should be realistic, but intentionally setting the bar low under the assumption students will want to fight it and work harder, means some won’t get into their chosen Uni.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by December126)
    But the real problem is, if those target grades have been submitted to UCAS, it could potentially RUIN your chances of getting into uni, even if you achieve the required grades, they may have already given all of the places away by clearing so you'll have to take a forced gap year, which is rrly unfair and I have heard about that kind of thing happening to people, I mean if ur predicted CCC but the course requires ABB, they're obviously not going to accept you and they can't tell the future or see how well you're actually doing.
    Yep I wasn't referring to A-Levels this thread is in GCSE forum.
    Target grades are important for A-Levels as they can be a determiner for cases such as unconditional offers and they also dictate the nature of your tutor's references.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaytoner)
    Wow that's a good way to think about it

I'm pretty sure this is a known phenomenon in general- can't remember what it's called, but it has significant scientific backing
    Yep it is also evidenced with statistical research, have you seen the BBC Doc 'will britain ever have a black prime minister?': They explore the black community in particular where the majority of students trample and triumph over their teacher predicted grades. The show also indicated a subconscious prejudice which made teacher undermine the works of black pupils.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.H.Rahman)
    You sure schools are overall underpredicted because from what I've seen especially at my school - School's are overpredicting.
    Yep ik this isn't the case in every school, my mates from Elmsford go to a school where everyone is predicted '9s' or so if I can recall correctly! Bizarre

ReputationRep:
    Yep I wasn't referring to A-Levels this thread is in GCSE forum.
    Target grades are important for A-Levels as they can be a determiner for cases such as unconditional offers and they also dictate the nature of your tutor's references.
    Oh sorry! Didn't read that part! 😊😊

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

GCSE French
    Achieved A*

Totally agree, I was predicted a 4 in English Lit yet came out with a 9 and one of the key reasons is wanting to prove whoever set my predicted grade wrong

ReputationRep:
    The target should be A/A*s for all. Setting low target grades is a way to promote mediocrity and produce a generally dumb population who watch X factor and Eastenders all day instead of working hard.

ReputationRep:
    love dat true preach

ReputationRep:
    target grades are different to predicted grades.

gcse target grades are set using ks3 data and a-level target grades are set using GCSE results. predicted grades are set later on down the line.

ReputationRep:
    Predicted a 6 and 5 for English Literature and English Language respectively.

Came out with a 9 and an 8.

ReputationRep:
    I think that teachers make low target grades, so if, after they have completed their exams they get a really high mark, they feel really happy about themselves.
    Just as a thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    target grades are different to predicted grades.

gcse target grades are set using ks3 data and a-level target grades are set using GCSE results. predicted grades are set later on down the line.
    Oh ok, so what about if a student is planning on leaving to college etc after their GCSEs?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok, so what about if a student is planning on leaving to college etc after their GCSEs?
    Not the case in my school we have GCSE target grade for each subjects which also acts as the predicted grades.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

GCSE French
    Achieved A*

Hey there,

I'll start off by congratulating you for what you got. I personally think it largely depends on the person. Although having people write me off when I was GCSE's served as great motivation, now I prefer having higher targets as someone in their early 20s, so then it forces me to work harder to achieve what I want to achieve. I guess it depends on the kind of pressure you wish to put on yourself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.