Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Exeter or Loughborough for Business (with Placement) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So I’ve been offered a place at both Exeter and Loughborough and I just cannot decide which one to pick!

For Exeter it is their Business Management with Industrial experience degree and Loughborough it is their Management Sciences degree.

They are both asking for the same grades also.

I love both of them so much, so if anyone has any advice it would be more than helpful.

Also, I don’t play much sport so Loughborough doesn’t appeal to me much that way.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    This isn't coming from a university perspective but I live in Loughborough and if u want a lively town and good places to shop and go at night then don't choose Loughborough. Honestly I can't wait to get out of this town it's not the worst but it' not great for a social life and rubbish for a night out there' basically only one decent place for a night out and that' revs. But also consider the educational side of course 😏 hope this helps x
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SnoopBee)
    Hi guys,

So I’ve been offered a place at both Exeter and Loughborough and I just cannot decide which one to pick!

For Exeter it is their Business Management with Industrial experience degree and Loughborough it is their Management Sciences degree.

I love both of them so much, so if anyone has any advice it would be more than helpful.

Also, I don’t play much sport so Loughborough doesn’t appeal to me much that way.
    Loughborough's lame, come to Exeter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi guys,

Hi SnoopBee,

I was a student at Loughborough for four years - I'm officially graduating on the 18th December of this year, so I have a pretty recent perspective on things!

At Loughborough, every single course has the option to do a placement and because of this, we have really great industry links. I can't comment on your chosen course directly (I studied English), but I can give you some pretty thorough information on everything else!

Yes, Loughborough has a reputation for its sport, but this doesn't mean it's necessary to take part in it. Of my four years as a student I didn't play sport at all, other than a couple of games of society dodgeball. I did that again this year as a staff member because I still have access to societies. We came last in the tournament. It was great fun.

I consider societies a huge part of my time at Loughborough - I joined two and they became my life for three years. It was here I made my best friends, relationships, and was able to take part in activities that not only massively improved my CV, but would not be possible elsewhere. For instance, I wrote and directed my own play - I can't think of anywhere that I could have done this as easily.

Of course, acting and the stage isn't for everyone, but that's okay because we have a HUGE number of societies to choose from. I recently went down to photograph '...FEVER', which is a circus society, and I was blown away by the talent and the things the people there were getting up to. It's amazing that people with such a niche interest had a way to meet like-minded individuals where they may not have possibly had a chance to before.

I'd have to disagree with Abillson24 regarding nightlife in Loughborough too (sorry!). I grew up in Manchester so by the time I came to university here I had a pretty good knowledge of going out in a big city. I took a gap year as well so that's a whole year of Mancunian partying. Obviously it's all down to personal preference but I far prefer the nightlife in Loughborough. Sure, the town's small(ish), but that doesn't mean it has any less to do. The Students' Union is the biggest night (Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday), and because the clubs in town have designated nights (Echoes on Saturday, Revs on Thursday, Firefly on Monday etc etc), it means that everyone goes to the same place. The atmosphere is fantastic, and because there are three different clubs inside the union, each playing different music, you'll definitely find something you like. I like my rock and cheesy pop, so I spend most of my time in Fusion.

If you're not into your nightlife, that's fine too. We've got two cinemass (which does seem excessive, but maybe that's because I have a cineworld card), parks, museums, a laser quest, escape rooms etc. Loughborough also has all your standard high street names (Primark, Waterstones, Topshop, etc), a Tesco, Sainsburys and M&S (depending on your budget), a Starbucks, Café Nero, Costa and loads of independent coffee shops (depending on your preference), two Wetherspoons (pick a side!), and countless other pubs.

I've read on a couple of sites that students from Loughborough frequently visit Leicester and Nottingham because they're only a brief train ride away. This isn't true - these big cities are super close if you REALLY need them, but because town's a ten minute walk from campus, there isn't really any need to.

I think that's a good background but if you have any questions, do feel free to ask!

Alex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loughborough University)
    Hi SnoopBee,

I was a student at Loughborough for four years - I'm officially graduating on the 18th December of this year, so I have a pretty recent perspective on things!

At Loughborough, every single course has the option to do a placement and because of this, we have really great industry links. I can't comment on your chosen course directly (I studied English), but I can give you some pretty thorough information on everything else!

Yes, Loughborough has a reputation for its sport, but this doesn't mean it's necessary to take part in it. Of my four years as a student I didn't play sport at all, other than a couple of games of society dodgeball. I did that again this year as a staff member because I still have access to societies. We came last in the tournament. It was great fun.

I consider societies a huge part of my time at Loughborough - I joined two and they became my life for three years. It was here I made my best friends, relationships, and was able to take part in activities that not only massively improved my CV, but would not be possible elsewhere. For instance, I wrote and directed my own play - I can't think of anywhere that I could have done this as easily.

Of course, acting and the stage isn't for everyone, but that's okay because we have a HUGE number of societies to choose from. I recently went down to photograph '...FEVER', which is a circus society, and I was blown away by the talent and the things the people there were getting up to. It's amazing that people with such a niche interest had a way to meet like-minded individuals where they may not have possibly had a chance to before.

I'd have to disagree with Abillson24 regarding nightlife in Loughborough too (sorry!). I grew up in Manchester so by the time I came to university here I had a pretty good knowledge of going out in a big city. I took a gap year as well so that's a whole year of Mancunian partying. Obviously it's all down to personal preference but I far prefer the nightlife in Loughborough. Sure, the town's small(ish), but that doesn't mean it has any less to do. The Students' Union is the biggest night (Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday), and because the clubs in town have designated nights (Echoes on Saturday, Revs on Thursday, Firefly on Monday etc etc), it means that everyone goes to the same place. The atmosphere is fantastic, and because there are three different clubs inside the union, each playing different music, you'll definitely find something you like. I like my rock and cheesy pop, so I spend most of my time in Fusion.

If you're not into your nightlife, that's fine too. We've got two cinemass (which does seem excessive, but maybe that's because I have a cineworld card), parks, museums, a laser quest, escape rooms etc. Loughborough also has all your standard high street names (Primark, Waterstones, Topshop, etc), a Tesco, Sainsburys and M&S (depending on your budget), a Starbucks, Café Nero, Costa and loads of independent coffee shops (depending on your preference), two Wetherspoons (pick a side!), and countless other pubs.

I've read on a couple of sites that students from Loughborough frequently visit Leicester and Nottingham because they're only a brief train ride away. This isn't true - these big cities are super close if you REALLY need them, but because town's a ten minute walk from campus, there isn't really any need to.

I think that's a good background but if you have any questions, do feel free to ask!

Alex
    Wow, that really has been such a useful response! Thankyou!

I am super into dram myself, and I am very keep to join a drama society! I didn’t see the drama/stage area when i visited on the open day - what is it like? But all of what you said about it seems to say that its great!

Personally, huge city nightlife doesn’t really bother me as going out doesn’t bother me much. But I obviously want to join in on all the night antics that go on so all the student union stuff sounds great!!

Sorry just to clarify, in the last paragraph, what do you mena when you say that nottingham and Leicester being only a brief train away isn’t really true?

Literally sounds great!! Which halls did you stay in? And is there any that you think is good part from the ones you stayed in?

Thanks so much!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Wow, that really has been such a useful response! Thankyou!

I am super into dram myself, and I am very keep to join a drama society! I didn’t see the drama/stage area when i visited on the open day - what is it like? But all of what you said about it seems to say that its great!

Personally, huge city nightlife doesn’t really bother me as going out doesn’t bother me much. But I obviously want to join in on all the night antics that go on so all the student union stuff sounds great!!

Sorry just to clarify, in the last paragraph, what do you mena when you say that nottingham and Leicester being only a brief train away isn’t really true?

Literally sounds great!! Which halls did you stay in? And is there any that you think is good part from the ones you stayed in?

Thanks so much!
    Hi SnoopBee

Great to hear that you're into drama! There are two main performance societies at Loughborough: Stage and Shakespeare. Stage do three productions per Semester (two plays and one musical), and Shakespeare usually put on a play once a term. Stage are usually more selective because their plays have smaller casts, but Shakespeare ensure that everyone gets a part. There's plenty to do with both as backstage too. I've acted and directed for both societies and they each offer unique opportunities. With Stage I directed a self-written play with a tiny cast of six actors so that felt like an incredibly personal project, but with Shakespeare I directed a cast of over 25 in A Midsummer Night's Dream which, while a handful at times, was really rewarding. There's a load of crossover between the two, so once you're in one, you're basically in the other by association. As you've probably experienced with those interested in performance, everyone is very open and friendly, and I've never heard of a Fresher or newcomer not feeling at home almost immediately. It helps that rehearsals can be up to three times a week (depending on your workload), so they really become your home away from home.

You can experience as much or as little as the nightlife as you want to - while I did enjoy going out, I've got loads of friends who prefer quieter nights and they often turn out to be just as fun. My sister came to Loughborough having not touched a single drop of alcohol, and continued this all the way through to her second year. She now drinks occasionally and loves going out, and I think that's really testament to the easy going attitude of the community here. You're encouraged to do whatever you feel comfortable with.

I'm sorry, I should have clarified. Nottingham and Leicester are indeed very short train rides away (25 minutes/15 minutes approx, respectively), but people don't really go because there isn't much point. Everything you need is in Loughborough - you might just want to pop away for a change in scenery every now and again.

I was in Hazelrigg Rutland Hall which is En-Suite, Self-Catered, and I loved it so much that I stayed for two years. It's one of the smallest halls on campus so had a really nice little atmosphere. Everyone knew everyone. Every hall has its perks though, and I know (or have known) people who have been in most halls and the vast majority really enjoyed it. You really get out of Halls what you put in; if you go in with a positive attitude and an open mind, you'll love it.

Hope that helps, and once again don't hesitate to ask me anything else.

Alex

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.