Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thoughts on Italy not being at the World Cup finals Watch

• TSR Support Team

Seems unthinkable but there will be no Italy at the World Cup finals, not since 1958 has that happened, thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Surprised, and thoughts especially for Gianluigi Buffon as it is not the way anyone would want to end your international career. Though at least their defeat was not from a very dodgy penalty as happened to Northern Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    Sad for Buffon won't reach that tremendous 6 world cups
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    From the couple of games I've seen of them in the last couple of years its not that surprising. No heart other than a few players.

No Netherlands, USA or Chile either. Korea struggled to qualify as well. I think it will be more common for the bigger teams to fail to get there as the rest get better.

ReputationRep:
    Sad really, especially for Buffon. One of my earliest football memories was them winning the World Cup. What a team that was.

If Conte does leave Chelsea in the not too distant future I would want him to go back to Italy.

ReputationRep:
    Feel bad for Buffon. What a ****ing legend of a keeper.

ReputationRep:
    England fans are like, "Yes! Take that Gino".
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    At least we don't have to lose to them at the World Cup now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It's almost unthinkable that they won't be there, but let's not forget how poor Italy have been at the last two World Cups. Two group stage exits in a row where they have failed to beat New Zealand, Slovakia, Paraguay & Costa Rica - what have they offered to the tournament? There were few signs that Russia would be any different, so why not let someone else have a go.

That coach will be sacked (if he hasn't been already) and there will probably be a lot of players retiring from international football as Italy have a lot of players 30+. Good chance for them to get a new team together for 2020 and beyond.

That video of Buffon crying has ended me though. He doesn't deserve this.

ReputationRep:
    Glad sweden won tbh would rather see them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    From the couple of games I've seen of them in the last couple of years its not that surprising. No heart other than a few players.

No Netherlands, USA or Chile either. Korea struggled to qualify as well. I think it will be more common for the bigger teams to fail to get there as the rest get better.
    Yes, but remember they're extending it to 48 teams so you'll see some rip roaring games like Uzbekistan vs Faroe Islands at the World Cup in 2026

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utr)
    Yes, but remember they're extending it to 48 teams so you'll see some rip roaring games like Uzbekistan vs Faroe Islands at the World Cup in 2026
    Are they? Oh, Jesus!!!

I either didn't read that story or I did and decided to blissfully ignore it. Great news for teams on a downward trajectory like Italy though.

ReputationRep:
    No Holland either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    No Holland either
    Chile are a big miss as well

ReputationRep:
    It was always on the cards as their qualification campaign progressed under a coach not many, rightly, had hopes in. They've got an experienced but aging squad and maybe this exclusion might shake up the governing body to think more progressively. Buffon, Chiellini, De Rossi are gone so the next coach will have to be adept at improving players who will be younger. Italy have been poor in the last two tournaments and Sweden earned their place. Chile will be a miss more than Italy or Netherlands
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by SGHD26716)
    Chile are a big miss as well
    Chile looked good as the last world cup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Chile looked good as the last world cup
    They did. Almost knocked out Brazil on penalties and beat Spain. Sanchez and Vidal miss out then.

ReputationRep:
    It's unthinkable and I would have preferred them there but I don't feel too bad for a player who has won the World Cup, played in several and has well over 150 caps. Not a great way to end his career but he has been very lucky and his status as a footballing legend was already secured.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utr)
    And Scotl- oh wait, no we won't see them.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utr)
    Looking forward to seeing how Scotland heroically fail to qualify for that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.