Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how to doctors do handover?
    Do they just do it with their consultant team?
    Or how does the process work?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casie1234)
    Just wondering how to doctors do handover?
    Do they just do it with their consultant team?
    Or how does the process work?

Thank you!
    Why do you want to know? As part of interviews? They don't ask you these questions you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    Why do you want to know? As part of interviews? They don't ask you these questions you know.
    If you are a final year medical student, don't worry about not knowing how to. (1) You would have had lots of experience in your placement and (2) there is a shadowing period whereby you follow the FY1 doctor who you will be taking the job over in August.

Now if you really want to know - again it varies (just like the question you asked earlier today about SHO teams). Sometimes it can be just a one-to-one, sitting in a staff room thing. Or it can be really formal, site manager, medical consultant, registrars, all the junior doctors in the team. It depends on what is being handed over and at what time.

ReputationRep:
    It varies from a sit down discussion about every single patient on the ward among a specific team, to having a large room full of the entire hospital's on call teams where only critically unwell people should be mentioned (should be often being the operative word! :mad: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    It varies from a sit down discussion about every single patient on the ward among a specific team, to having a large room full of the entire hospital's on call teams where only critically unwell people should be mentioned (should be often being the operative word! :mad: )
    Just thinking about handover makes me shudder So glad I don't do nights now!

ReputationRep:
    Just thinking about handover makes me shudder So glad I don't do nights now!
    My old hospital tried to do a combined medicine-surgery night handover. It meant that there was a small room filled with the medical take team, the medical ward team, ITU, outreach, surgery team, ortho team... and that was just the night staff. We'd discuss every proper sick patient but also, like, hyperkalemia or stable fast AF, or has a cough ?HAP.

It would take about 45 minutes, maybe longer, during which only once in a blue moon would any surgical speciality have anything to discuss whatsoever. They were constantly trying to battle the surgeons to get them to attend. When I became an ortho F2, i never did. It was ****ing stupid.

Apparently this was something heavily pushed by the managers (at the expense of patient care, i would argue). It ended up being one of the things highlighted by the CQC as 'outstanding'. Managers know how to please managers.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently this was something heavily pushed by the managers (at the expense of patient care, i would argue). It ended up being one of the things highlighted by the CQC as 'outstanding'. Managers know how to please managers.
    Surely the medics would end up bleeped loads, and the surgeons would just fall asleep for the 44 minutes that they are not involved. (Sorry surgeons personal experience - went into the mess at 10pm, and they were literally making beds on the sofas ready for the night's sleep!! Whole team asleep in the mess when I popped in for a bite at 3am )

ReputationRep:
    My old hospital tried to do a combined medicine-surgery night handover. It meant that there was a small room filled with the medical take team, the medical ward team, ITU, outreach, surgery team, ortho team... and that was just the night staff. We'd discuss every proper sick patient but also, like, hyperkalemia or stable fast AF, or has a cough ?HAP.

It would take about 45 minutes, maybe longer, during which only once in a blue moon would any surgical speciality have anything to discuss whatsoever. They were constantly trying to battle the surgeons to get them to attend. When I became an ortho F2, i never did. It was ****ing stupid.

This is hands down one of the stupidest things I've ever read. I'm not surprised the CQC loved it.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the medics would end up bleeped loads, and the surgeons would just fall asleep for the 44 minutes that they are not involved. (Sorry surgeons personal experience - went into the mess at 10pm, and they were literally making beds on the sofas ready for the night's sleep!! Whole team asleep in the mess when I popped in for a bite at 3am )
    I think non-reg grades should be required to cross-cover out of hours. There seems to be a notion that if you are a surgical F1/2 and you make a decision (within your capability) about a medical patient you are then not covered by insurance or somesuch. Simply not true.

Its particularly bizarre where i currently am, where our medical FY1s work surgical nights. So they know all the same wards and patients as i do, but whilst they sleep i have do to all the work, sometimes literally.

ReputationRep:
    I think non-reg grades should be required to cross-cover out of hours. There seems to be a notion that if you are a surgical F1/2 and you make a decision (within your capability) about a medical patient you are then not covered by insurance or somesuch. Simply not true.

Its particularly bizarre where i currently am, where our medical FY1s work surgical nights. So they know all the same wards and patients as i do, but whilst they sleep i have do to all the work, sometimes literally.
    That really is ridiculous - when I was the F1 the medical F1 work medicine and the surgical F1 covers surgery. I suppose things that make sense do not exist in the NHS. I'm so glad that I have got out of CMT, I hope it's soon for you too...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.