Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me and write a example answer for this question i have been struggling on how to structure.

Assess the effect of a weaking pound against the euro on the profits of high street retailers

ReputationRep:
    Think about the acronym SPICED
    It stands for:
    S - Strong
    P - Pound
    I - Imports
    C - Cheap
    E - Exports
    D - Dear/expensive

And it would be opposite for a weak pound.

Using this, you could start off by saying that a strong pound may lead to more products being brought overseas as you can buy more for your pound (cheaper imports) this would lead to less money being spent in the UK economy therefore high street retailers will generate lower amounts of revenue and profits. (BUILD ON FROM HERE)

You could also then say how this would lead a budget deficit and how it could further affect high street retailers as government may increase taxes as not enough money is coming into the UK and to possibly increase the value of the pound.

That's just some ideas, try to link one problem to another and always link back to the question. I've done a strong pound sinario so you can try the weak pound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArabEconomist)
    It stands for:
    S - Strong
    P - Pound
    I - Imports
    C - Cheap
    E - Exports
    D - Dear/expensive

Using this, you could start off by saying that a strong pound may lead to more products being brought overseas as you can buy more for your pound (cheaper imports) this would lead to less money being spent in the UK economy therefore high street retailers will generate lower amounts of revenue and profits. (BUILD ON FROM HERE)

You could also then say how this would lead a budget deficit and how it was further affect high street retailers as government may increase taxes as not enough money is coming into the UK.
    Amazing acronym. Thanks for your help bud. Im gonna need help in my business studies since i missed out quite alot and finding it hard to catch up. Reckon you can help me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArabEconomist)
    It stands for:
    S - Strong
    P - Pound
    I - Imports
    C - Cheap
    E - Exports
    D - Dear/expensive

You could also then say how this would lead a budget deficit and how it was further affect high street retailers as government may increase taxes as not enough money is coming into the UK.
    To build upon this point, you can also talk about how with a depreciated pound each retailers supply chain will become more expensive due to having to pay their workers in other countries, if the good is made in another country, a different currency of which you now get less of as the pound has depreciated.... and so on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabby33)
    Amazing acronym. Thanks for your help bud. Im gonna need help in my business studies since i missed out quite alot and finding it hard to catch up. Reckon you can help me?
    I'll be glad to help you. Drop me a private message on any questions and I'll try to explain it as much as possible. I can also give you much more acrynoms.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.