Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if I've accidentally already posted this but anyway, to cut a long story short, I no longer have a reference for my university application as I found out today that my college tutor has left the college and there is no way for me to get in contact with her.

She is pretty much my only hope as I've looked at other possible references but my school teachers who taught me have all left/retired now, and my previous managers have either been sacked or made redundant. Does anyone know if I go back to the college would they give me her personal email/phone number if I explain the situation, or do you think that they would email her on my behalf?? I seriously feel like the universe is against me right now haha

ReputationRep:
    I would contact the college and explain, surely they can put you in contact with her or offer another solution. Might also be better to physically go into the college if they have a student enquires or support place, I just find things move faster that way.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by _katiawilliams)
    Not sure if I've accidentally already posted this but anyway, to cut a long story short, I no longer have a reference for my university application as I found out today that my college tutor has left the college and there is no way for me to get in contact with her.

She is pretty much my only hope as I've looked at other possible references but my school teachers who taught me have all left/retired now, and my previous managers have either been sacked or made redundant. Does anyone know if I go back to the college would they give me her personal email/phone number if I explain the situation, or do you think that they would email her on my behalf?? I seriously feel like the universe is against me right now haha
    The college will not give you her contact details as that breaks data protection.

The college will be able to write a reference from you from their records.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou guys for the replies! Gonna go there tomorrow and ask if they could contact her on my behalf or speak to student services about other options

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    The college will not give you her contact details as that breaks data protection.

The college will be able to write a reference from you from their records.
    Sorry for the late reply and thankyou! I have spoken to the college and as you said they can't give me her personal email, and they won't email her on my behalf.

They have also said that because I didn't have another tutor, there is nothing that they can do for me and that I'll have to look elsewhere. My high school teachers have also ignored my request, and my former bosses are no longer employed and I have no way of contacting them.

I'm going to email my boss from work experience and see if she remembers me and will write one, if not then I have absolutely no one left and may have to tell the university that nobody will give me a reference which may result in me not getting a place. Stressful times but wish me luck.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Sorry for the late reply and thankyou! I have spoken to the college and as you said they can't give me her personal email, and they won't email her on my behalf.

They have also said that because I didn't have another tutor, there is nothing that they can do for me and that I'll have to look elsewhere. My high school teachers have also ignored my request, and my former bosses are no longer employed and I have no way of contacting them.

I'm going to email my boss from work experience and see if she remembers me and will write one, if not then I have absolutely no one left and may have to tell the university that nobody will give me a reference which may result in me not getting a place. Stressful times but wish me luck.
    I have moved your post into the UCAS and Applications section, so if you do need further advice then you are more likely to get it here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    I have moved your post into the UCAS and Applications section, so if you do need further advice then you are more likely to get it here.
    Thank you! I'm still trying to figure out how this site works
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you! I'm still trying to figure out how this site works
    No worries it is a pretty big site with so many different sections, it can be confusing.

ReputationRep:

They have also said that because I didn't have another tutor, there is nothing that they can do for me and that I'll have to look elsewhere.
    Who has said this?

If it is anyone other than the Principal, send the Principal a polite email setting out the circumstances and asking him/her to reconsider. If you still get nowhere, send another email, saying that you are going to raise it with your MP; then contact (or if you are under 18 get your parents to contact) your MP's researcher.

The college do not have to provide a reference, but you have the right to cause the Principal a lot of grief on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Who has said this?

If it is anyone other than the Principal, send the Principal a polite email setting out the circumstances and asking him/her to reconsider. If you still get nowhere, send another email, saying that you are going to raise it with your MP; then contact (or if you are under 18 get your parents to contact) your MP's researcher.

The college do not have to provide a reference, but you have the right to cause the Principal a lot of grief on the matter.
    It was actually the principals personal assistant who told me. Thankfully last night the lady who taught me during work experience in 2013 got back to me and said that she’d be more than happy to give me a reference before my deadline.

Thank you for the advice though! It means a lot

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.