Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    This might be in the wrong place because it's still a UK Uni but I didn't know where else to put it haha.

I was wondering if any of you were considering ULIP? I went through the early application deadline and I have an offer for French Studies with International Relations (ABB) I suppose I can answer questions about the phone interview that I had. I did think there was a test as well as the interview but I guess not?

Are the people who have applied or might apply going to go to the Journée de Rencontres? I think it would be a really good idea for me but I don't know if I will have the time or money really. Equally turning up to an unknown city in September 2018 might not be a great idea.

I was also wondering about what people were planning on doing for accommodation as there are no halls. There are loads of options and I don't really know what I would prefer, and there is still quite a long time to decide. I'm assuming we would get the London maintenance loan but even with that it is still very expensive, the cheapest but still decent accomodation I can find is €550-650

I'm still not really sure if this is my Firm or Insurance Choice because I have an offer from Birmingham for French and Chinese which sounds really good as well.

Any discussion is appreciated haha
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geraint Davies)
    Hi guys,
    This might be in the wrong place because it's still a UK Uni but I didn't know where else to put it haha.

I was wondering if any of you were considering ULIP? I went through the early application deadline and I have an offer for French Studies with International Relations (ABB) I suppose I can answer questions about the phone interview that I had. I did think there was a test as well as the interview but I guess not?

Are the people who have applied or might apply going to go to the Journée de Rencontres? I think it would be a really good idea for me but I don't know if I will have the time or money really. Equally turning up to an unknown city in September 2018 might not be a great idea.

I was also wondering about what people were planning on doing for accommodation as there are no halls. There are loads of options and I don't really know what I would prefer, and there is still quite a long time to decide. I'm assuming we would get the London maintenance loan but even with that it is still very expensive, the cheapest but still decent accomodation I can find is €550-650

I'm still not really sure if this is my Firm or Insurance Choice because I have an offer from Birmingham for French and Chinese which sounds really good as well.

You might like to read this blog, written by a fresher at ULIP. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4887778
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geraint Davies)
    Hi guys,

Hey there Geraint!

It's lovely to hear you're interested in studying at ULIP next year and I cannot recommend it enough. It's a really unique experience. I'm going to try to address your post as best I can.

In terms of the application deadline, well done for getting that sorted out! I imagine the telephone interview was a little daunting, but it sounds like you did a very good job! You're right, there is an exam, but they usually send this out a little later to complete. It's simply to test your current aptitude in French more than anything else - so please don't panic!

I went to the Journée de Rencontres last year and it was what sold ULIP for me. I wouldn't have gone to ULIP without it, I don't think. If you can go, I would highly encourage you to! I know some good, cheap places you could stay during that time if you would be interested in looking at costing it and seeing if you can come. It's a highly enjoyable day and it really sets in stone what sort of place ULIP is. If you're more interested in the JDR, I'm happy to answer any questions about it.

Accommodation-wise, you're right that there is no university-provided accommodation. The majority of people here in Paris at ULIP either opt for a flat share or they live in a studio. The only advice I have for this is to consult the recommended sites on ULIP's website (don't neglect centralparisrentals.com, Roxanne is slightly insane - but her prices are really some of the best out there - getting in early is the key to success, the building in the 1er arrondissement is the nicest). I don't know anyone that lives in a halls-like place (i.e. Estudines, which the university will recommend - I would recommend you avoid it. It's very expensive!). I know a few people that live with French families in their own private, annexed apartments for nothing in exchange for tutoring French children or providing babysitting services! Keep an eye out for things like this as you look for accommodation, a lot of them are worth their weight in gold if that's something that interests you.

I personally live in a flat share with someone I actually met at the JDR. She's lovely and we get along really well. The JDR is a fantastic chance to meet the people you could be going to uni with for the next three years and even potentially find a flatmate! You do indeed get the London maintenance loan, yes.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to quote me and ask. As the lovely Snufkin has linked above, I have a Freshers blog about my experience if you'd like to read a little more.

Take care!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thanks to the both of you for your replies, especially Paracosm. Your blog is very helpful, I'm surprised I hadn't come across it sooner I thought I'd read everything ULIP on here.

The accommodation is definitely the main thing I'm thinking about atm, thanks for all the recommendations I'll check out centralparisrentals.com. I just need to decide if I definitely want to go haha because the French and another language courses that I've applied to are also very interesting. I'll definitely be going to the JDR to try and figure it out.

Thanks again,

ReputationRep:
    hi,

Well done for your offer
    ive also recently received an offer from ULIP for French with Business, im so excited this is actually my top choice and i really hope ill get the grades on results day... its nice to hear from another prosepctive student as language applicants and more speicifically ULIP applicants are difficult to find.
    imhoping to go to the jdr but youre right it looks expensive, but definitely worth going as its the only introduction to students and taste ofcity life well get before making our decisions.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've decided that I'm definitely going to go to see it I'm sure it'll help me decide what I want to do
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    congratulations to you too by the way, I hope I see you there

ReputationRep:
    Have you met anyone else that's going yet ?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNovellist)
    hi,

Well done for your offer
    ive also recently received an offer from ULIP for French with Business, im so excited this is actually my top choice and i really hope ill get the grades on results day... its nice to hear from another prosepctive student as language applicants and more speicifically ULIP applicants are difficult to find.
    imhoping to go to the jdr but youre right it looks expensive, but definitely worth going as its the only introduction to students and taste ofcity life well get before making our decisions.
    Hey there!

Congratulations on your offer if you have any questions about ULIP or ULIP life, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    No I haven't you're the first, I hope more people will start to look on TSR once they have their offers and stuff because it is fairly early still.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.