The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mass immigration has completely changed parts of the UK

Thirty to forty years ago, not too long ago in the grand scheme of things, places like Ilford in East London, where my grandparents grew up, and places like Luton were predominantly indigenous white British. Now these areas are completely different. The culture of these areas has completely changed. The pubs have closed down, the community centres closed down, mosques and temples built, traditional English shops replaced with halal meat and Polski skleps, its all completely changed. Imagine being someone who grew up in these communities who no longer fits in in their own community because mass immigration from unfamiliar cultures and a lack of integration mean that you're the foreigner in your local neighbourhood. You're the odd one out. I recently had a conversation about this with my grandparents and it's sad what has happened to some of our communities. A lack of integration int traditional western culture, British culture and traditions have led to parts of Britain no longer being recognisable as British

The problem is that some on the left won't even recognise that this is a problem, instead calling the locals of these areas racist for being concerned about the overhaul of their neighbourhoods. It just makes me feel extremely sad, parts of Britain have been lost.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

usually it is trolls with one post who say these things.

But I think you are right.
Original post by Nalk1573
usually it is trolls with one post who say these things.

But I think you are right.

How on earth is speaking the truth trolling? What was times we live in.

With regards to OP, brave words speaking the truth on TSR.

Taking bets on the number of racism accusations.
Reply 3
So you agree zionism is a sham?

can't have it both ways kiddo

but I agree and I'm not a Caucasian
Reply 4
Original post by MartinF98
Thirty to forty years ago, no too long ago in the grand scheme of things, places like Ilford in East London, where my grandparents grew up, and places like Luton were predominantly indigenous white British. Now these areas are completely different. The culture of these areas has completely changed. The pubs have closed down, the community centres closed down, mosques and temples built, traditional English shops replaced with halal meat and Polski skleps, its all completely changed. Imagine being someone who grew up in these communities who no longer fits in in their own community because mass immigration from unfamiliar cultures and a lack of integration mean that you're the foreigner in your local neighbourhood. You're the odd one out. I recently had a conversation about this with my grandparents and it's sad what has happened to some of our communities. A lack of integration int traditional western culture, British culture and traditions have led to parts of Britain no longer being recognisable as British

Would you say some of the immigrants have integrated and contribute whereas others especially the new ones haven't?
Original post by Chaz254
How on earth is speaking the truth trolling? What was times we live in.

With regards to OP, brave words speaking the truth on TSR.

Taking bets on the number of racism accusations.

I never called him a troll.

What I meant was ,established everyday users of this forum don't usually say these things about Britain.
Reply 6
Yeah I agree, areas that are almost exclusively Asian suggest a serious lack of integration. There are parts of London which benefit from immigration and others are turned into ghettos. Ilford and much of east London is an example of the latter. Hoepfully this will change with the younger generation like me who are more integrated. As the first generations die out hopefully the situation will improve (not suggesting I want them to die out though lol, my parents are part of that generation after all)
(edited 6 years ago)
Fair point but I do think that the communities are slowly integrating although I do see that it will take a few decades before it happens. I have lived in Luton so I know how bad the situation is. Hopefully in the next 40-50 years, these areas will have completely changed.
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah I agree, areas that are almost exclusively Asian suggest a serious lack of integration. There are parts of London which benefit from immigration and others are turned into ghettos. Ilford and much of east London is an example of the latter.

......how do you know they are not integrated ?

So having brown skin basically means, by default, you are not integrated ?

Are homeless drug addicts that are White British integrated ?
lol.
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
Fair point but I do think that the communities are slowly integrating although I do see that it will take a few decades before it happens. I have lived in Luton so I know how bad the situation is. Hopefully in the next 40-50 years, these areas will have completely changed.

Really ???

How long does it take Irish people to integrate ? Or people from Australia ?
The British government in the 1950s deliberately opted for an open door policy. They encouraged skilled migrants predominantly from the West Indies and parts of Asia to travel to the UK to fill their job vacancies on the trains, buses and in hospitals. As a result of this, Britain is now multicultural.

What do you expect the government to do? Tell the children of the migrants (who are now legal British citizens) to go back to where they came from?

Travel approximately 35 miles North, East, South or West of central London and the population is predominantly White British.
What you've described is not an 'issue'.
Original post by Nalk1573
Really ???

How long does it take Irish people to integrate ? Or people from Australia ?

Let's start with one basic fact. You take Irish and Australian people. Can I just say both those nationalities have the same set of principles. Australians migrated from UK so their heritage lies in UK. As far as Irish are concerned, they are British so they don't need to integrate. Don't make stupid points please.
Thirty to forty years ago, not too long ago in the grand scheme of things, places like Ilford in East London, where my grandparents grew up, and places like Luton were predominantly indigenous white British. Now these areas are completely different. The culture of these areas has completely changed. The pubs have closed down, the community centres closed down, mosques and temples built, traditional English shops replaced with halal meat and Polski skleps, its all completely changed. Imagine being someone who grew up in these communities who no longer fits in in their own community because mass immigration from unfamiliar cultures and a lack of integration mean that you're the foreigner in your local neighbourhood. You're the odd one out. I recently had a conversation about this with my grandparents and it's sad what has happened to some of our communities. A lack of integration int traditional western culture, British culture and traditions have led to parts of Britain no longer being recognisable as British

The problem is that some on the left won't even recognise that this is a problem, instead calling the locals of these areas racist for being concerned about the overhaul of their neighbourhoods. It just makes me feel extremely sad, parts of Britain have been lost.

It's a bit hypocritical complaining considering English people colonised places like America and Australia, where you can barely see natives or their beautiful culture anymore. And if you're going to compare the scale of those colonisations to immigration to the UK, you are an idiot.
Original post by liquidconfidence
The British government in the 1950s deliberately opted for an open door policy. They encouraged skilled migrants predominantly from the West Indies and parts of Asia to travel to the UK to fill their job vacancies on the trains, buses and in hospitals. As a result of this, Britain is now multicultural.

What do you expect the government to do? Tell the children of the migrants (who are now legal British citizens) to go back to where they came from?

Travel approximately 35 miles North, East, South or West of central London and the population is predominantly White British.
What you've described is not an 'issue'.

It is an issue for the people that grew up in those neighbourhoods and have found their local communities comelely changed. Why should they have to move? Why can't the government stop taking in more of them, making the problem worse? Parts of British are already lost, the fox that you need to travel such a long distance from London to go to a predominantly white area is a problem. The children aren't a problem anyway, they integrate well. I'm not the op though, you'll have to sit for his response
Original post by serions871
. The children aren't a problem anyway, they integrate well.

Then it wont be a problem anymore because their parents will die soon???
Reply 16
Original post by JMR2017
It's a bit hypocritical complaining considering English people colonised places like America and Australia, where you can barely see natives or their beautiful culture anymore. And if you're going to compare the scale of those colonisations to immigration to the UK, you are an idiot.

Just because awful things happened to the natives of those countries doesn't mean that somehow we should allow that to happen to us, even if it is on a smaller scale. And btw, none of us were even alive when that happened- I don't see why you're suggesting that we should be punished for our previous actions today by having it done to us. Also, the culture of those natives wasn't exactly beautiful, it was pretty savage and tribal compared to the more developed culture of Britain and the west at the time, whereas currently in Britain what we're seeing is western culture, which is superior, being taken over in some communities by south Asian and Islamic culture, which leads to various problems in society like misogyny, as well as undermining the traditional western culture.
Original post by serions871
It is an issue for the people that grew up in those neighbourhoods and have found their local communities comelely changed. Why should they have to move? Why can't the government stop taking in more of them, making the problem worse? Parts of British are already lost, the fox that you need to travel such a long distance from London to go to a predominantly white area is a problem. The children aren't a problem anyway, they integrate well. I'm not the op though, you'll have to sit for his response

But why is the focus on immigration?

Most British citizens have to move as a result of gentrification. They cannot afford the same luxuries as their area changes and progresses. The council often moves them to other areas to make room for people who can afford higher rent. This is an issue in several areas in East London, take Canary Wharf for example which used to be home to the docks. Many residents were forced to moved, some of their skills were no longer needed which resulted in unemployment.
I understand your point but Op is citing 'mass immigration' as the fundamental cause which is widely incorrect.
Just because awful things happened to the natives of those countries doesn't mean that somehow we should allow that to happen to us, even if it is on a smaller scale. And btw, none of us were even alive when that happened- I don't see why you're suggesting that we should be punished for our previous actions today by having it done to us. Also, the culture of those natives wasn't exactly beautiful, it was pretty savage and tribal compared to the more developed culture of Britain and the west at the time, whereas currently in Britain what we're seeing is western culture, which is superior, being taken over in some communities by south Asian and Islamic culture, which leads to various problems in society like misogyny, as well as undermining the traditional western culture.

First of all I think most immigrants are willing to integrate into our society. Secondly, it is sickening that you don't condemn the slaughtering/subjugation of the natives. Who is to say one culture is superior to another?, unless of course there are some hateful/violent things. I personally think aboriginal culture was beautiful, even more sophisticated than western culture at the time, and so many thousands of years ago. Finally we are all one human race, and your attitude is divisive. Do you not know that Western culture has evolved from a variety of cultures, and much our culture does originate in the Islamic world, e.g photography, algebra, our numerical system, medicine and hygiene etc.
Reply 19
Original post by faloodeh
Then it wont be a problem anymore because their parents will die soon???

Hopefully but here are signs that perhaps some of the newer generation is also not integrating. For example, the government's anti-radicalisation scheme had to help 2000 children who were radicalised, mainly Islamically although some were far right. I don't know what will happen but right now there aren't parts of this country which are almost like a foreign country.

The problem is not with the principle of immigration, its with mass immigration of many uneducated people from an unfamiliar culture in a short period of time which has changed towns and neighbourhoods completely, leaving the original residents feeling like foreigners in their own area. This has led to the phenomenon of 'white flight' which further worsens the problem. It's frustrating that people dismiss these concerns as racism when it's deeply saddening and these are genuine concerns from good people
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest