The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mass immigration has completely changed parts of the UK

Scroll to see replies

Ilford used to have white people ?
Original post by JMR2017
How do you know Europeans were the first to circumnavigate the globe? It's only since the history is better recorded. Also aboriginals have not made such advances since we killed them all lol. And what do you say about Islamic culture being more scientifically and intellectually advanced before European culture ever was.

You claimed the aborigines had a "superior" culture, I pointed out the palpable absurdity of such a contention.

And I never claimed that Europeans were the first to circumnavigate the globe (although almost certainly we were) my point was simply that it was Captain Cook who sailed into Botany Bay to colonise the antipodes, not some Captain Bambam sailing his little wooden bark into Whitby Harbour.

As for Islamic superiority, the west left the Muslim world trailing in its wake centuries ago. Muslim culture is the very definition of backwardness. That is why the sole aim of so many Muslims is to emigrate to the west. That is why "refugees" board boats to come here.

There own countries are backward, primitive, poverty ridden, feudal or totalitarian, war torn hellholes.
Original post by hannah00
The problem is you are a racist and just see colour.

50 years ago jewish migrants changed the demographics of east london

100 years ago it was another group

Migration has happened through out history. Only difference is colour of skin post ww2

That is ridiculously ignorant.

There was virtually zero migration (except for between different parts of the British Isles) in the almost thousand years between the Norman Conquest and the Second World War.

The Huguenot resettlement is commonly regarded as a huge influx of immigrants during the period. More people enter every month to live here than during that entire migration, over many decades (50,000). You mentioned Jewish immigration over the period too. An equivalent number to the entire UK Jewish population now comes in every six months or so.
Thank you for saying this! It’s a shame that so many on the left dismiss this as a non issue and pull the racist card simply because you’re addressing a serious problem for british society. While immigration itself is not so much an issue, the UK’s current policy which allows mass influx of uneducated immigrants, is a seriously detrimental threat to Britain’s history, society and culture. In London, β€œwhite britons” that is, citizens with english heritage, are a minority and make up just short of 40% of the population, while there are upwards of 3 million households in which not one adult can speak english. In many London boroughs as an English native it feels as if one is in a completely different country. While immigration has historically had benefits to society, this fact is that mass immigration is becoming increasingly alarming for the integrity of British culture. This began over 10 years ago with Tony Blair’s immigration secretary, (a Jewish immigrant) who essentially opened Britain’s borders to anyone and everyone, and shouted racist at all who criticized her policies. Thus the migration crisis. Today we do not see immigrants peacefully integrating our society, but essentially annexing once predominantly British communities, as integration is not happening. Unfortunately, however, the government continues to turn a blind eye to these issues in the name of political correctness (take Ray Honeyford for example, who was fired from his position as a schoolteacher for speaking up against the Muslim fathers who were forcing the school at which he worked not to allow girls to participate in dance, drama or sports). Today, we see constant rioting and acts of terror against British society, at the hands of such immigrants.

If someone sees that their community is being annihilated by those from outside countries who are being let in with no provisions, they have every right to speak their mind and address their grievances! Shame on everyone who has cried racist. I️ personally am sick to my stomach knowing that my own British heritage and culture will be decimated if the (very real) migration crisis is not addressed.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by faloodeh
I was kind of joking but you saying "hopefully" is a little sickening tbh. also on your other post when you mention that britain was more developed and superior "at the time" to islamic or south asian cultures which were "savage" and "tribal" is a bit stupid considering britain was not perfect at all with your child labour and burning witches.

as another user mentioned half of what you have today was not invented by the british. A lot of medicine originated from outside of britain while you were still drilling holes into peoples skulls lmfao. hell, even human rights come from the middle east.

but anyway. its all great to want integration but perhaps people should encourage it aswell so that you wouldnt have concentrated communities of ethnic minorities. and your younger gen kids you complain about probably feel isolated because of their race/culture is different to the main population (white) of britain, and its constantly pointed out and not accepted.

Human rights come from the Middle East??

That’s the funniest thing I have heard for a long time.

Why are there no human rights there now then?

Human Rights is a western concept. It springs from the Enlightenment, the western philosophical tradition and western history, especially the French Revolution.
Original post by oliviaminor
Thank you for saying this! It’s a shame that so many on the left dismiss this as a non issue and pull the racist card simply because you’re addressing a serious problem for british society. While immigration itself is not so much an issue, the UK’s current policy which allows mass influx of uneducated immigrants, is a seriously detrimental threat to Britain’s history, society and culture. In London, β€œwhite britons” that is, citizens with english heritage, are a minority and make up just short of 40% of the population, while there are upwards of 3 million households in which not one adult can speak english. In many London boroughs as an English native it feels as if one is in a completely different country. While immigration has historically had benefits to society, this fact is that mass immigration is becoming increasingly alarming for the integrity of British culture. This began over 10 years ago with Tony Blair’s immigration secretary, (a Jewish immigrant) who essentially opened Britain’s borders to anyone and everyone, and shouted racist at all who criticized her policies. Thus the migration crisis. Today we do not see immigrants peacefully integrating our society, but essentially annexing once predominantly British communities, as integration is not happening. Unfortunately, however, the government continues to turn a blind eye to these issues in the name of political correctness (take Ray Honeyford for example, who was fired from his position as a schoolteacher for speaking up against the Muslim fathers who were forcing the school at which he worked not to allow girls to participate in dance, drama or sports). Today, we see constant rioting and acts of terror against British society, at the hands of such immigrants.

If someone sees that their community is being annihilated by those from outside countries who are being let in with no provisions, they have every right to speak their mind and address their grievances! Shame on everyone who has cried racist. I️ personally am sick to my stomach knowing that my own British heritage and culture will be decimated if the (very real) migration crisis is not addressed.

The left are fellow travellers to all of this. Complicit in this disaster, you see it in this very thread.

Intellectually they came up with cultural relativism which we have seen argued here. They combined this with identity politics which simultaneously celebrated β€œdiversity” as an abstract good, and the emphasis on the value of every culture on the planet except that of Western Europe and the USA which is to be despised. You see that argued here too.

There should be no borders, they argue, and that is what we have in practice. They believe the more immigration from the third world the better. And as you say, if you point out the emperor has no clothes and immigration is turning out to be a total disaster, and wiping out one of the great cultures in world history, you are a β€œwaycist.”

We risk living through the twilight years of western civilisation. The left despise the latter and are doing their best to destroy it.

It is up to us to fight them. Stop the insane open door immigration policies of recent years and laugh at their politically correct, cultural relativist bs.
Original post by astutehirstute

Human Rights is a western concept. It springs from the Enlightenment, the western philosophical tradition and western history, especially the French Revolution.

I guess it kind of depends on who you want to believe, as many historians claim that many different artefacts or philosophies is where human rights stemmed from, but this is where I got mine from:

Urukagina reforms of Lagash (24th century BC) government reform for higher levels of freedom and equality

Cyrus Cylinder (539 BC, 6th century BC)

Code of Hammurabi (1754 BC) or Ur nammu (2100-20150 BC) (more so law than human rights)

in mesopotamia, modern west asia/middle east
Age of Enlightenment: 16th, 17th, 18th century?

cant seem to link, soz

???? different leaders, different empires, loss of empires, loss of leaders.. coup'd'etats...foreign intervention..
(edited 6 years ago)
If your argument is that the areas don't look homogeneously white then you'll forgive me for thinking you're a racist.

If your argument is just around culture, could you define "white" culture for us?

Technology has changed culture/society more than anything else in the last century is my own opinion.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by faloodeh
I guess it kind of depends on who you want to believe, as many historians claim that many different artefacts or philosophies is where human rights stemmed from, but this is where I got mine from:

Urukagina reforms of Lagash (24th century BC) government reform for higher levels of freedom and equality

Cyrus Cylinder (539 BC, 6th century BC)

Code of Hammurabi (1754 BC) or Ur nammu (2100-20150 BC) (more so law than human rights)

Age of Enlightenment: 16th, 17th, 18th century?

cant seem to link, soz

What I meant by β€œhuman rights” is the modern meaning, as enshrined in the U.N. convention, which just about every country on earth claims to abide by, but few do. Check out this link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_the_Rights_of_Man_and_of_the_Citizen

Interesting that your examples predate Islam. I would argue that Islamic theology is fundamentally antithetical to the western concept of human rights. Islam has as its dogma that there are two types of humans, believers and infidels, and they are held to a different value by the deity.

In the western concept of human rights everyone has an equality of rights, whatever their religious beliefs.
Original post by liquidconfidence
But why is the focus on immigration?

Most British citizens have to move as a result of gentrification. They cannot afford the same luxuries as their area changes and progresses. The council often moves them to other areas to make room for people who can afford higher rent. This is an issue in several areas in East London, take Canary Wharf for example which used to be home to the docks. Many residents were forced to moved, some of their skills were no longer needed which resulted in unemployment.
I understand your point but Op is citing 'mass immigration' as the fundamental cause which is widely incorrect.

Gentrification's even worse, I agree, but that doesn't mean there haven't been serious problems caused by mass immigration with little integration over the past few decades. For example, there are 23000 jihadists in the U.K. (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/huge-scale-of-terror-threat-revealed-uk-home-to-23-000-jihadists-3zvn58mhq ) and it's hard o deny that mass immigration has replaced the original culture of places like Ilford, much like gentrification has completely changed Brixton and Hackney.
Original post by Zerforax
If you're argument is that the areas don't look homogeneously white then you'll forgive me for thinking you're a racist.

If you're argument is just around culture, could you define "white" culture for us?

Technology has changed culture/society more than anything else in the last century is my own opinion.

Your, not you’re. And you made the grammatical howler twice so it can hardly have been a typo.
What I meant by β€œhuman rights” is the modern meaning, as enshrined in the U.N. convention, which just about every country on earth claims to abide by, but few do. Check out this link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_the_Rights_of_Man_and_of_the_Citizen

Interesting that your examples predate Islam. I would argue that Islamic theology is fundamentally antithetical to the western concept of human rights. Islam has as its dogma that there are two types of humans, believers and infidels, and they are held to a different value by the deity.

In the western concept of human rights everyone has an equality of rights, whatever their religious beliefs.

It predates Islam because I can't find any within periods where Islam spread :biggrin: So I agree with you there. Especially since one way the Islamic conquests spread Islam was through giving the conquered a choice between paying taxes, or converting to Islam. (Although some people argue that the taxes were less of a burden than the previous rulers.) conversions and tax reform

Yes, i'm not saying the western concept of human rights is wrong or inferior, it definitely exists, just that people should also remember that islam β‰  the middle east, so there are philosophies and such that existed pre-Islam/Islamic conquests
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
As far as Irish are concerned, they are British so they don't need to integrate.

Please take it from an actual Irishman, we don't consider ourselves British. We literally fought wars to make that point.

The Northern Irish might, but they don't often call themselves Irish so much as British anyway.
Your, not you’re. And you made the grammatical howler twice so it can hardly have been a typo.

Fixed it :frown:

My terrible grammar must be because I'm not "indigenously white".
Reply 75

Probably because the west burned the Middle east to the ground at the turn of the century, enslaved it until after the second world war and then proceeded to install despotic dictators in when they were ejected. And if you were france you burned the colony to the ground all over again like in Algeria when they left.
Original post by Zerforax
Fixed it :frown:

My terrible grammar must be because I'm not "indigenously white".

It is normally a function of education, not ethnicity, to be fair.

A highly educated non β€œwhite” is likely to have far better grammar than an β€œindigenously white” person with a low educational attainment. Even if English isn’t their mother tongue.
Reply 77
Both Labour and Tory govs of the last 60 years are to blame :frown:
Reply 78
Original post by JMR2017
But don't make the mistake of conflating Islam the religion with the culture of certain Islamic countries.
Indeed.
Good behaviour/achievements = Islam
Bad behaviour/lack of achievemnts = Something Else
Reply 79
"with only the stars and a sextant...", not "sexton" - which is someone who digs graves in a churchyard.

I wasn't going to mention it, but...

Latest