The Student Room Group

My school is forcing us to do foundation

So as you people most likely know, It's mock season. I'm currently in Year 11...Done 2 of my maths mocks out of 3 last one being tomorrow. I had this belief and i still believe that mocks dont mean crap. However my maths teacher, the week before the first mock said that our school underperforned in maths massively (i go to normal school) and that the Maths departnent isnt taking any risks. Therefore he said that the people who dont get a VERY VERY strong 5 or above, will do foundation tier no matter what. Our class is Second top set so this was quite shocking...Nobody had prepared and neither had i and i get a feeling that i did HORRIBLY in my first 2 exams and and dont think i will be getting a strong 5...heck ill be lucky if i get a strong 4 on these mocks....Today was our second paper and right after the mock we had maths...Me and group of my mates said that we arent going to be getting strong 5's and were begging to let us do Higher. We are very ideal students never disrupting lessons and doing our best...We can do very well... But our teacher who is amazing btw very clearly stated that the head of maths (who is a f ing biatch btw) makes the decision and no risks are taken at all....I was absolutely petrified by this...I want to do medicine and have been getting 7's from sciences. ALL uni's in the uk need atleast grade 6 in maths...If i will do foundation i wont get that....Im feeling like my dreams are crushed...Ive got one more maths paper on wednesday...And after that i might do foundation....Guys please tell me what to do i am so lost and terrified i cant afford to do foundation....:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FutureMedic77
So as you people most likely know, It's mock season. I'm currently in Year 11...Done 2 of my maths mocks out of 3 last one being tomorrow. I had this belief and i still believe that mocks dont mean crap. However my maths teacher, the week before the first mock said that our school underperforned in maths massively (i go to normal school) and that the Maths departnent isnt taking any risks. Therefore he said that the people who dont get a VERY VERY strong 5 or above, will do foundation tier no matter what. Our class is Second top set so this was quite shocking...Nobody had prepared and neither had i and i get a feeling that i did HORRIBLY in my first 2 exams and and dont think i will be getting a strong 5...heck ill be lucky if i get a strong 4 on these mocks....Today was our second paper and right after the mock we had maths...Me and group of my mates said that we arent going to be getting strong 5's and were begging to let us do Higher. We are very ideal students never disrupting lessons and doing our best...We can do very well... But our teacher who is amazing btw very clearly stated that the head of maths (who is a f ing biatch btw) makes the decision and no risks are taken at all....I was absolutely petrified by this...I want to do medicine and have been getting 7's from sciences. ALL uni's in the uk need atleast grade 6 in maths...If i will do foundation i wont get that....Im feeling like my dreams are crushed...Ive got one more maths paper on wednesday...And after that i might do foundation....Guys please tell me what to do i am so lost and terrified i cant afford to do foundation....:frown:

I'm sorry to hear this. But remember that medicine is extremely competitive. 7s in sciences may not cut it. If you can't get a 5 in maths, you may unfortunately have to face that medicine may not be for you. Any chance you can work extra hard to get the mark you need? If you need any help with certain topics, I'll be happy to give advice, tips, new ways of thinking about things or anything else you may need.

When you have people in the second-top set forced to do foundation, it really makes you wonder about the quality of the education system.
Original post by TheMindGarage
I'm sorry to hear this. But remember that medicine is extremely competitive. 7s in sciences may not cut it. If you can't get a 5 in maths, you may unfortunately have to face that medicine may not be for you. Any chance you can work extra hard to get the mark you need? If you need any help with certain topics, I'll be happy to give advice, tips, new ways of thinking about things or anything else you may need.

When you have people in the second-top set forced to do foundation, it really makes you wonder about the quality of the education system.

What i meant was im getting 7's doing decent work...I acctually moves to uk exactly one year ago and before this i lived in Finland where we didnt speak english obviously...Since coming to uk i changed to my current school this year in february... I was behind by 5 months as i came to uk in november so school had already started...Yet i was able to catch up on both language and science and now im getting 7's as im on par with school... 4 of my sibling are doctors so it is in my genes...Also the maths bit , i can definately get a 6 on maths but i havent started working on it as ive been focusing on science...Reason for me not being able to get 5 in this mock is because i am behind and havent caught up yet..What i need is 3-4 months and ill be on par with school....So im still aiming at Medicine but what do you think
That gene part is a joke btw :smile:
What i meant was im getting 7's doing decent work...I acctually moves to uk exactly one year ago and before this i lived in Finland where we didnt speak english obviously...Since coming to uk i changed to my current school this year in february... I was behind by 5 months as i came to uk in november so school had already started...Yet i was able to catch up on both language and science and now im getting 7's as im on par with school... 4 of my sibling are doctors so it is in my genes...Also the maths bit , i can definately get a 6 on maths but i havent started working on it as ive been focusing on science...Reason for me not being able to get 5 in this mock is because i am behind and havent caught up yet..What i need is 3-4 months and ill be on par with school....So im still aiming at Medicine but what do you think

I see, but you really need to make sure you do as well as you can in these mocks. Right now, your science predicted grades are fine, so focus way more on maths.

Also ask if there may be any special arrangements (extra time etc) available to those who have English as a second language. It can't hurt to ask...
Reply 5
Capping the Foundation grade to a C is utterly stupid imo, most grad schemes require atleast a B and you've LITERALLY forced candidates into the grade below what's required to get a job...
I see, but you really need to make sure you do as well as you can in these mocks. Right now, your science predicted grades are fine, so focus way more on maths.

Also ask if there may be any special arrangements (extra time etc) available to those who have English as a second language. It can't hurt to ask...

Yep there are after school lessons and i have been attending them...I truly believe i can get really good grades at maths but what i need is 2-3 months....I have my last mock on wednessday which means obviously i cant catch up....But after these mocks they are determining whether we do foundation or higher...So i have full trust on my ability to get a grade 6 and catch up but not right now...Unfortunately school doesnt seem to give crap... And agree with you
Original post by Yaboi
Capping the Foundation grade to a C is utterly stupid imo, most grad schemes require atleast a B and you've LITERALLY forced candidates into the grade below what's required to get a job...

EXACTLY MATE! And determining whether you do higher or foundation based on mocks which are 6 months away from the exam doesnt make sense...One can become a master at something if done it consistantly for 6 months...And im determined to do atleast 2 hours of maths per day from now on...I have done it with sciences, i lifted my grade from 3 to 7 in 3 months...What stops me doing the same in 6 months ???
Get a parent or carer to complain. Insist that you ain't having it.

Alternatively enter for the higher paper at a different exam centre. Ideally as above though.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Get a parent or carer to complain. Insist that you ain't having it.

Alternatively enter for the higher paper at a different exam centre. Ideally as above though.

Thanks a lot!! and im definately doing that..Im also getting a private tutor and we had the meeting last week, but if the school aint giving me a shot on higher tutor is useless ...
Also ask if there may be any special arrangements (extra time etc) available to those who have English as a second language.

The regulations for allowing a bilingual dictionary with 10% extra time say:

This is an arrangement specifically for a candidate who entered the United Kingdom less than three years before the time of the examination(s), with no prior knowledge of the English Language.

I doubt this applies in the OP's case.
Thanks a lot!! and im definately doing that..Im also getting a private tutor and we had the meeting last week, but if the school aint giving me a shot on higher tutor is useless ...

Tutor not useless.

Worst case scenario is to enter for the higher paper at another centre and either take the foundation paper at your current school or boycott it or tell the school not to enter you for it.

Poor you.

Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Worst case scenario is to enter for the higher paper at another centre and either take the foundation paper at your current school or boycott it or tell the school not to enter you for it.

You can't be entered for Higher and Foundation in the same exam season.
(edited 6 years ago)
Start a petition, maybe?
A lot of schools were caught out lastvyear with the new GCSE papers.

It's generally accepted that candidates who are borderline 4/5 are better off doing foundation or they risk failing completely.

I'm working between 6-8 (depending on the topic) & will be doing Higher but lots of classmates are doing foundation.

However final entries arn't due for a while yet (my mocks are Jan) so if you pull your finger out & start working at a higher level between now & the new year you could argue for being allowed to enter the higher paper.
doesn't foundation go up to a grade 6 now though? and that's a strong grade b
Original post by entertainmyfaith
doesn't foundation go up to a grade 6 now though? and that's a strong grade b

no, it doesn't
Original post by Yaboi

Is there a reason schools don't understand this? I rarely hear of someone resitting during 'A' levels - its not as if university and career minimum entry requirements are a big secret.
I believe this post is relevant to you in Year 11 Science

Quick Reply