The Student Room Group

feel like i can't continue

after a short period of stability, a few weeks ago my mental health took a significant dip; I've been experiencing severe chest pains, panic attacks, mood swings, irrational thoughts and I can barely get out of bed for sixth form every day.
I got average yet passable AS grades, mostly because of my poor mental health throughout year 12, (BCCC) and although I'm ready to apply to uni I don't know how I'll cope there next year either
I honestly think that for the good of my general health I should somehow take a break but I hate the idea of being behind everyone else and I'm not sure if I should just power through it all?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by depprcherry
after a short period of stability, a few weeks ago my mental health took a significant dip; I've been experiencing severe chest pains, panic attacks, mood swings, irrational thoughts and I can barely get out of bed for sixth form every day.
I got average yet passable AS grades, mostly because of my poor mental health throughout year 12, (BBCD) and although I'm ready to apply to uni I don't know how I'll cope there next year either
I honestly think that for the good of my general health I should somehow take a break but I hate the idea of being behind everyone else and I'm not sure if I should just power through it all?

I’m in exactly the same position as you and I honestly don’t know how I’m going to cope either I got BBEE at AS level and my mental health is taking a dip. I’ve missed so much school asking myself what is the point over and over again it won’t leave my mind. I don’t know what to do and honestly my support system isnt good
Take a small break from everything, even if just for a day and start thinking about what YOU want to do when it is over. Do you want to go to uni next year? Or do you want to take a gap year? How are you going to organise your revision?

I recomend talking to your tutors/teachers about your feelings, they're not going to make you feel worse. They've probably had students exactly in the predicament you are currently in.

I was at a point where I got so bogged down by family problems, mental health and college work that i broke down right in front of my main tutor. After that, I was able to rebuild as a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders.

The best thing you can do is be honest with yourself. Pushing it to the point where your mentally exausted will do more damage than good. I know it's exams in a few months, but a short break might just help you find your footing.

If panic attacks are interfering with your classes, I would recomend talking to a doctor (after doing your own research on what is available) and directly telling them what you want. You can enlist for CBT therapy or you can ask for medication to help balance your heart rate when you're anxious. Also tell your tutors that this impacts your performance! They can't force you to do things that trigger panic attacks.

Finally, I woudl recomend getting a copy of all the subjects taught in all the classes, that way you know a rough idea of what you need to prepare yourself for the exam.

You might be behind, but in the long run if it helps your mental and physical health, then it's going to drastically improve your overall performance. Don't go too hard on yourself, mental health is important and so are you. ^^
Reply 3
Original post by depprcherry
I got average yet passable AS grades, mostly because of my poor mental health throughout year 12, (BBCD) and although I'm ready to apply to uni I don't know how I'll cope there next year either

I was in this position a few years ago. I finished with only 2 full A levels which I worked really hard for and got an A and a B. I then took two years out, got myself sorted and returned to academia to study at University. I got a high first in my first year, but I'm now in my second year and all the problems I had in sixth form have come back to haunt me.

Quick Reply

Latest