Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been really unhappy at home for the past few months because my mum, her boyfriend and my brother aren't very nice to me. All they do is yell at me and tell me I have ruined their lives, my mums boyfriend got really aggressive and violent with me the other day and hurt me. I have tried to leave but my mum didn't want me to, she knows she has messed up a lot but carries on hurting me. I really want to leave, I have tried speaking with councillors and police and also my GP, even my social worker but none of them are bothered. I want to make myself happy but I'm only 16 and my family threaten me that if I leave they will get me sectioned, can they do this?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by AnonYmouZzz)
    I have been really unhappy at home for the past few months because my mum, her boyfriend and my brother aren't very nice to me. All they do is yell at me and tell me I have ruined their lives, my mums boyfriend got really aggressive and violent with me the other day and hurt me. I have tried to leave but my mum didn't want me to, she knows she has messed up a lot but carries on hurting me. I really want to leave, I have tried speaking with councillors and police and also my GP, even my social worker but none of them are bothered. I want to make myself happy but I'm only 16 and my family threaten me that if I leave they will get me sectioned, can they do this?
    Could you ask for a new social worker? Your family can't get you sectioned just for leaving them. The decision wouldn't be down to them anyway, it would be medical professionals. There would have to be genuine medical reason for it. What do you mean when you say those people aren't bothered when you tell them? I'm sorry this is happening :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Could you ask for a new social worker? Your family can't get you sectioned just for leaving them. The decision wouldn't be down to them anyway, it would be medical professionals. There would have to be genuine medical reason for it. What do you mean when you say those people aren't bothered when you tell them? I'm sorry this is happening :hugs:
    Like all the different police and doctors etc.. that i have spoken to just aren't bothered they don't take it seriously, like when my mums boyfriend hit me, I had to tell 4 different police officers and all of them just brushed it off like it was nothing. My family would tell them I'm going to kill myself so that I get sectioned even though that isn't the case.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.