Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trouble with More than smart Wheels Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I'm just wandering if anybody is having issues with more than smart wheels regarding there driving scores. Recently I have logged in on the app nd they have marked me down a lot recently for speed and smoothness. This has really hacked me off with them as I have never been speeding and they are constantly giving me negative scores for speed when I have been doing the speed limit or under!. This is the fourth time this has happened now the first time I was shocked when they said I was speeding on the M20 which has 70mph limit saying that it was 60mph limit and I was doing 68 which was apparently 'speeding.' My smoothness scores have also been recently negative because I often drive down steep hills or country roads where I do need to brake sharply sometimes. Is anybody else having the same problem? as I feel more than are totally riping me off and potentially others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willj98)
    Hi there I'm just wandering if anybody is having issues with more than smart wheels regarding there driving scores. Recently I have logged in on the app nd they have marked me down a lot recently for speed and smoothness. This has really hacked me off with them as I have never been speeding and they are constantly giving me negative scores for speed when I have been doing the speed limit or under!. This is the fourth time this has happened now the first time I was shocked when they said I was speeding on the M20 which has 70mph limit saying that it was 60mph limit and I was doing 68 which was apparently 'speeding.' My smoothness scores have also been recently negative because I often drive down steep hills or country roads where I do need to brake sharply sometimes. Is anybody else having the same problem? as I feel more than are totally riping me off and potentially others.
    Hi
    I’m not on more than but another black box policy. I agree the speeding thing can be a bit of a nightmare. I’m always in the red for speeding although I’ve never sped. I think this is a problem with black boxes as a whole. If your score is still good enough that your premium won’t go up I wouldn’t worry too much. I think they have a reasonable amount of leeway on the scores for this reason
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willj98)
    Simply put, you get what you pay for. If you're unhappy with how Big Brother judge you, get rid of the box.

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather pay £1500 for insurance with a black box or £2500 without one (my situation)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fighter365)
    Would you rather pay £1500 for insurance with a black box or £2500 without one (my situation)
    No brainer, really. £2,500 without.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    No brainer, really. £2,500 without.
    Have you heard of go girl insurance company? It would be with them and I’ve looked at their reviews and they aren’t the best reviews I’ve ever read... also the hefty deposit makes me suspicious
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard of go girl insurance company? It would be with them and I’ve looked at their reviews and they aren’t the best reviews I’ve ever read... also the hefty deposit makes me suspicious
    As is common with reviews, you'll only really see the bad ones. Think about it, how often do you leave a good review for something is everyday as car insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    As is common with reviews, you'll only really see the bad ones. Think about it, how often do you leave a good review for something is everyday as car insurance?
    But why are they so much cheaper than all the other non black box policies

ReputationRep:
    Black box policies as a whole are cheaper as they think it gives new drivers more of an incentive to drive safely as you can be penalised It also means they can easily increase your premiums if they decide you have been driving too badly and as such are higher risk.

I went black box for the price as it saved me over £1500 and I haven’t had any major issues. It’s a case of looking around for a company that seems trustworthy but isn’t too expensive. (Especially checking what it will change to upon passing as that can cause a great change in premium. Halifax went from an ok cost before passing to over six grand on passing. )

ReputationRep:
    I am a fan of all these threads where folk are crying that their cheap black box policies have big drawbacks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snoozinghamster)
    Black box policies as a whole are cheaper as they think it gives new drivers more of an incentive to drive safely as you can be penalised It also means they can easily increase your premiums if they decide you have been driving too badly and as such are higher risk.

I went black box for the price as it saved me over £1500 and I haven’t had any major issues. It’s a case of looking around for a company that seems trustworthy but isn’t too expensive. (Especially checking what it will change to upon passing as that can cause a great change in premium. Halifax went from an ok cost before passing to over six grand on passing. )
    This isn't what the user asked.

That's down to personal circumstances - you must just really fit their target criteria!

ReputationRep:
    The original idea of black box insurance was a good one, prove you drive safely and get cheaper insurance however insurers now see it as a great way of making extra cash from motorists who suffer from expensive premiums, mainly younger drivers
    Underestimated your mileage - enjoy paying extortionate rates for extra miles
    Have to brake suddenly - ruined smoothness score
    Not to mention things like curfews and penalties for driving long distances

My advice is normally if you can afford it, go without but if you really need to get a box. have it for a year and get rid ASAP

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.