Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I really hope someone can help bc its driving me insane :dry:

The keyboard on my HP Stream 14 laptop has suddenly started throwing up random letters when typing, I have no idea why (id been using the laptop already) or how to solve it back to normal and am just confused :confused:

I have looked online but nothing helped:
    - The keyboard language is set to English
    - I tried restarting
    - I pressed Ctrl and Shift

Pls help bc this laptop is vital for uni and a messed up keyboard is really not helpful

(I used the on screen keyboard to type this and in the spoiler is how
    the laptop keyboard types it) (The enter key seems to just mess the layout)

Spoiler:
    Show

KI frdeaqloloy hlo;pde swlomdelonde caqn hdelop; bc kitsw Thde kideybloaqfrde lon my H:P SWtfrdeaqm 14 loaq;ptlo;p haqsw swjudededenloy swtaqfrtde3 thfrloswking ju;p fraqndelom lodettdefrsw swhden ty;pking, KI haqvde nlo kidedeaq swhy (kide bdeden juswking thde loaq;ptlo;p aqlofrdeaqdey) lofr hlosw tlo swollovde kit baqcki tlo nlofrmaqlo aqnde aqm jujuswt KI 0 - :Plosw hdelop; bc thkisw loaq;ptlo;p kisw vkitaqlo frlofr junki aqnde aq mdeswswde3 ju;p kideybloaqfrde kisw frdeaqloloy nlot hdelop;frjulo- KI ;pfrdeswswde3 Ctfrlo aqnde SWhkifrt
    KI tfrkide3 frdeswtaqfrtking
    Thde kideybloaqfrde loaqngjuaqgde kisw swdet tlo DEngloswkih
    haqvde lololokide3 lonlokinde bjut nlothking hdelop;de3:P
    clonfrjuswde3 :Pclonfrjuswde3:P
    defrkivking mde kinswaqnde :Pdefry:P
    Hdey :PH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IKEAPanda37)
    Hey

The keyboard on my HP Stream 14 laptop has suddenly started throwing up random letters when typing, I have no idea why (id been using the laptop already) or how to solve it back to normal and am just confused :confused:

- I tried restarting

Pls help bc this laptop is vital for uni and a messed up keyboard is really not helpful

Spoiler:
    Show

KI frdeaqloloy hlo;pde swlomdelonde caqn hdelop; bc kitsw Thde kideybloaqfrde lon my H:P SWtfrdeaqm 14 loaq;ptlo;p haqsw swjudededenloy swtaqfrtde3 thfrloswking ju;p fraqndelom lodettdefrsw swhden ty;pking, KI haqvde nlo kidedeaq swhy (kide bdeden juswking thde loaq;ptlo;p aqlofrdeaqdey) lofr hlosw tlo swollovde kit baqcki tlo nlofrmaqlo aqnde aqm jujuswt KI 0 - :Plosw hdelop; bc thkisw loaq;ptlo;p kisw vkitaqlo frlofr junki aqnde aq mdeswswde3 ju;p kideybloaqfrde kisw frdeaqloloy nlot hdelop;frjulo- KI ;pfrdeswswde3 Ctfrlo aqnde SWhkifrt

Hey, sometimes I have problems with my keyboard also, Commonly unpluging the USB and/or restarting helps, I can see you have a laptop keyboard however which means you'll probs need to buy a USB keyboard (£4.00 could do fine) and use that instead. It's either that or go to where you got your laptop, see if they can fix it or buy a new case+keyboard and transfer all your parts from your "old" laptop to your new one.

Another tip, try cleaning it out, lift the laptop upside down and shake it and tap it to remove crumbs and stuff as that can sometimes mess with the cables in your keyboard.

edit: also scan for viruses and stuff like that, the usual when your computer acts up, something could've been downloaded that does this.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by IKEAPanda37)
    Hey

- I tried restarting

Spoiler:
    Show

This seemed fairly sensible

You could try...
    1. Turn off the laptop.
    2. Connect an external keyboard.
    3. Turn on the laptop.

This 'should' give you access so you can type.

After getting into your system...

A. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
    B. Reboot the laptop. Yes, without reinstalling the keyboard driver.
    C. When the system reloads, it should reinstall the driver for you.

When you reboot, keep the external keyboard connected. Once the driver is reinstalled, turn off the laptop, remove the external keyboard, and then start it up again.

ReputationRep:
    Sticky keys, perhaps?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    As 999tigger said, try updating the driver. If this doesn't work, then let us know

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem about 1-2 weeks ago and I just restarted my laptop and it's been good ever since. I also have a HP laptop some kind of Windows number too

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.