Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I started an Access to HE course two months ago (I'm 18, 19 in jan), and I'm already panicking about going to uni. I'm quite shy and socializing with people I don't know is difficult for me. I'm kind of a homebody as well and not great with change, so generally the entire prospect of moving away with home, with people I don't know, is absolutely terrifying to me.

I wondered if anybody who has ever felt the same way could give me some advice on how to deal with it? And also, what's the move-in day like? Does everyone go out on the first night? and do unis usually let you move in early, because I think being there a few days to get used to it without the added intimidation of new people would be helpful.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Sorry for bombarding you with questions
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dielan)
    So I started an Access to HE course two months ago (I'm 18, 19 in jan), and I'm already panicking about going to uni. I'm quite shy and socializing with people I don't know is difficult for me. I'm kind of a homebody as well and not great with change, so generally the entire prospect of moving away with home, with people I don't know, is absolutely terrifying to me.

I wondered if anybody who has ever felt the same way could give me some advice on how to deal with it? And also, what's the move-in day like? Does everyone go out on the first night? and do unis usually let you move in early, because I think being there a few days to get used to it without the added intimidation of new people would be helpful.

Going to uni and living alone for the first time is scary but you have to remember that most people are in the same boat. You really have to just put yourself out there and make sure you don't live in a shell or stay in your room at all times. There is usually something for everyone so try new things and do things you know you enjoy. You will make friends and find a place for yourself. People do tend to go out on the first night but there may be others in the flat or block who don't want to and stay in. Keep an open mind. The uni may let you move in early though there may be a cost.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dielan)

Hi Dielan

As alleycat393 said going to uni can be scary and a big change but it's also really exciting! I was really shy too when I first started but I made sure I spoke to a few people in my first few lectures and they are still my friends now!

Once you start give yourself some time to adjust. There's usually a moving in weekend where students will arrive. Then there's Fresher's week where lots of welcome activities will be arranged. There will be nights out, but also other activities to be involved in. Uni's usually hold a Fresher's fair where you can find out more about different societies, which can be great for finding people with similar interests.

Try not to be too worried! I'm sure once you get into the swing of it, you'll have a great time

Hope that helps.

Heather

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.