Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really need some help.

Basically, I am an EU National (18 years old) which currently lives in England for the last 3 years (came to UK on 4th of December). I will be applying to two Scottish universities - Aberdeen and RGU. From what I've read, EU nationals have to pay £1820 instead of £9250 when they study in Scotland rather than England.
    My question is - how much maintenance I will be able to receive if I will live on my own (technically, I have plans to rent flat along with my friend so we will split bills together)?

From Student finance calculator on Gov.uk, I've got results such as:

- £1,820 Tuition Fee Loan to pay for your course
    - £8,430 Maintenance Loan to pay living costs

From Saas.gov.uk, I've read that I will receive maintenance loan depends on my household income. If I will be living alone from September 2017 and will not receive any support off my parents, should I state household income as £0? This way, maintenance loan that I would receive would be £1,875 + £5,750 = £7,625.

But I've also found information that I may not be eligible for any kind of maintenance loan if I live in the UK only for the last three years. I have a really mixed feelings about all this 'maintenance loan' situation and I don't know if it is a good option to study in Scotland and live with my friend, so I pay only £1,820 per tuition year (it wouldn't be a problem if I would receive either £8,430 or £7,625) or stay in England and pay £9,250 per tuition year and live with my parents if I am not eligible for maintenance loan.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin.

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Where are you from?

You should better speak with student finance on the telephone or they have twitter and facebook account. Talk to them there about your issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heyok)
    Where are you from?

You should better speak with student finance on the telephone or they have twitter and facebook account. Talk to them there about your issue.
    I live in England, but I was born in Poland. I've already emailed SAAS but I've didn't get a respond yet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.